FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New "UP" clip...

Author Topic: New "UP" clip...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The full "Squirrel!" scene...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wasn't that impressed, but historically I haven't been that impressed by Pixar stuff pre-actually-watching-the-movie. I'm sure it'll be good, it's just a matter of is it "Cars" good or "Wall-E" good.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
is there a canadian hulu, i find loading my proxy program annoying.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. They captured what I think the dog is saying in his head. The repetitive, short memory span nature of speech == lols. [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hulu does not work for Canadian residents, sorry.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Hulu does not work for Canadian residents, sorry.

Correction: it does not work for canadian residents without proxies.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Didn't Blayne already mention the bit about proxies? [Smile]
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is going to be the best animated movie in a while. Monsters was good, but a bit too blah among the good parts.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie looks good.

BTW Raymond, is Cars good > Wall-E good, in your opinion? I'd pretty much put those at a tie, I think.

Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and The Incredibles set the the gold standard, I think.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Monsters, Inc. > Wall-E > The Incredibles > Toy Story 2 > Finding Nemo > Toy Story > Cars > A Bug's Life
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Pixar Films are of pretty uniform high quality. Cars, Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life are my least favorite. Not because anything about them is "bad" per se, but they just didn't accomplish anything that hasn't been accomplished better elsewhere.

Apart from those, the two that really stand out for me are

A) the original Toy Story. While later films have outclassed it, it accomplished more for its time than the others did for theirs.

B) Wall-E. While most Pixar films have innovative concepts, Wall-E is the first one in a while that I felt was innovative beyond the ways that Pixar is normally innovative. It addressed several complex issues in a way that kids could appreciate yet still made adults think. Also, the quality of its animation is phenomenal. While the overall production has flaws, I think it's animation is going to be remembered as some of the best animation in the world for a long time.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I should note that I can't help but rank movies as a "critic" as opposed to someone who just likes movies. In terms of raw enjoyment, I think I liked them all almost equally except for Nemo, Cars and Bug's Life.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

As for Toy Story, I think it's a rare case where the sequel eclipses the original in terms of quality. Toy Story 2 was not only better animated, but it dared to go in an edgier direction. A mis-matched buddy flick is one thing. Making peace with the inevitability of death? Far more interesting to me.

(And Finding Nemo makes me cry every darn time I watch it. I'm sentimental, okay?)

Edit: Stray "had" removed.

[ May 05, 2009, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Monsters, Inc. > Wall-E > The Incredibles > Toy Story 2 > Finding Nemo > Toy Story > Cars > A Bug's Life

Ratatouille doesn't even get a spot? [Frown]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, so no. [Smile]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Nighthawk is Tom? I had no idea. [Smile]
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I do think Toy Story 2 did some neat things. It was "better" in every way than the original, but the amount of innovation that Pixar required to go from their earlier shorts to Toy Story was not nearly as much as was required to go from Toy Story to Toy Story 2.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

So, you're confirming that Toy Story 2 required more innovation? [Big Grin]
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

No, because innovation is measured by how far something is improved beyond whatever the status quo was before.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredibles > Finding Nemo > Ratatouille > Toy Story 2 > Wall-E > Bugs life > Toy Story > Monsters Inc.

The graphing of these movies might as well be a horizontal line though. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I do think Toy Story 2 did some neat things. It was "better" in every way than the original, but the amount of innovation that Pixar required to go from their earlier shorts to Toy Story was not nearly as much as was required to go from Toy Story to Toy Story 2.

The reason I asked is, you worded it like you think Toy Story 2 -was- a greater improvement. [Smile]
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Oh, crap. Right then. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't all that impressed with Ratatouille, but I'll add it in. [Smile]

Monsters, Inc. > Wall-E > The Incredibles > Toy Story 2 > Finding Nemo > Toy Story > Cars > Ratatouille > A Bug's Life

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.