FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sneak peak at "The Princess and the Frog"

Author Topic: Sneak peak at "The Princess and the Frog"
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's much anticipated return to 2-D animated musical fairy tales...

Video quality is pretty cruddy, but the scenes are clever and funny.

Except for the firefly. *shudder*

Why, oh WHY the DARN FIREFLY?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
That frog looks a lot like the frog in Swan Princess.

I think the firefly is great. Otherwise, how would kids know that Cajun people lose all their teeth and talk funny.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it certainly has all the elements of the movies from my childhood, including the annoying little animal sidekick.

What remains to be seen is whether the movie has the tone and script to actually be a good movie.

The general outline I got from that clip makes the story seem a lot like Beauty and the Beast, if the Beast were a little bit more upfront about what he needed. Of course the frog might not need love, just saliva from someone desperate.

Also, there's all this junk about Tiana being the "first African-American princess". She's American and just got herself disqualified until she actually marries the frog!

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

She sure does look like a princess though, which is all that counts.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got to see a number of clips from the film as a run-up to the animation festival we had recently. I grew up on the classic Disney films, so my excitement may have clouded my judgment, but I thought it looked charming. The people involved in making the film clearly just love New Orleans and Louisiana, and I'm really excited to see it. [Smile]
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Atleast from the art, it seems like they've nailed the setting and I can feel the city's charm.

I get that every Disney movie needs an animal sidekick but the firefly seems more annoying than cute. He's no abu or rafiki. Even Mulan's dragon had some genuine humor to counteract his annoying traits. Cheap Cajun jokes alone aren't going to do it for me.

The similarity to Beauty and the Beast does ruin the freshness and newness of the project.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
I actually got to see a number of clips from the film as a run-up to the animation festival we had recently. I grew up on the classic Disney films, so my excitement may have clouded my judgment, but I thought it looked charming. The people involved in making the film clearly just love New Orleans and Louisiana, and I'm really excited to see it. [Smile]

I'm hoping that this is like a Pixar movie, where the idea looks barely promising but the movie is amazing. Of course I trust Pixar's odd premises to be good and we've got John Lasseter. (yay!)
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That interview is more interesting than the movie. It's very much like 1970s or 60s Disney archive footage. But modern! Weird.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I found annoying was when someone from Disney was talking about the movie and claimed, "now every little girl can imagine she is a princess." Looking at the princess, it seems like it is still every skin, attractive girl. She is still the typical princess, just slightly different shading.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It breaks my heart to think that now there's some line manager in charge of the Disney Princesses marketing campaigns who's finally getting to put a little tick in her last box.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I don't understand why that breaks your heart. Would it be better for there NOT to be a black princess?
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I have enough faith in Lasseter's integrity that the final product will be worth viewing. I confess the premise makes me think, "Uh...a whole movie about this?" But again, Lasseter!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
They could have had a Nubian princess by re-making Aida. Of course, they would have to change the ending to make it happy. [Wink]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

A proper trailer now!

*is excited like a little girl*

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually a little sad I saw that trailer. I would much rather have walked into the movie not knowing the twist they were going to pull.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

WHERE'S THE CAJUN FIREFLY?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Nice to see they're embracing the ink and paint. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I'm actually a little sad I saw that trailer. I would much rather have walked into the movie not knowing the twist they were going to pull.

Yeah, it is kind of a downer that they decided to throw that in to the trailer.

Guess they think they need more than "hey! This is a Disney ANIMATED MOVIE!" to attract people.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

To be fair, the film was originally announced under the title The Frog Princess. [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The teaser one-sheet.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
adenam: I saw the firefly in the new trailer.
----
Yeah the trailer was a bit too spoilerific. [Frown] On the otherhand I heartily approve of the way the crocodile was drawn to look identical to the ones in Swan Princess, Robin Hood, Peter Pan, and All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

But...he wasn't wearing a showgirl outfit! [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
But...he wasn't wearing a showgirl outfit! [Big Grin]

Aha! This is true.
adenam
Member # 11902

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

Yeah, it is kind of a downer that they decided to throw that in to the trailer.

Guess they think they need more than "hey! This is a Disney ANIMATED MOVIE!" to attract people.

I'm suprised you feel they gave away a twist. When I heard princess and the frog I just figuered that would happen to her (especially considering it was originally called The Frog Princess). What other way is there to make a movie out of that fairy tale?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.