FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving again

Author Topic: Moving again
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you that have been following the continuing adventures of Boris (all none of you), I'm going to be moving again. This time to the wonderfully desolate land of Southeast Arizona. That's right, I got my DoD clearance and am scheduled to start work at my new job on the 18th. Incidentally, that happens to be the 13th anniversary of my first date. Which is kinda freaky. Especially since it's also the 10th anniversary of the first time I went to the Temple (LDS, for those who hadn't caught wind of that yet in all my lurking). I'm sensing a pattern. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I have a date that follows me around too. 9/11....no joke.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
What part of Arizona? Will it be near the New Mexico border? I live in the Phoenix area.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Sierra Vista. South East of Tucson. I'll be driving through New Mexico (with a trailer this time, so that will be a new experience).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the land of the scorching sun! Make sure before you make your drive that your car is in good working order (you have a/c right?). It would suck to be stuck in the middle of a nowhere you're not familiar with when it's hot. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Oh, My car is just about to hit 34,000 miles, so yeah, it's in pretty good working order [Big Grin]

And I'll take driving through New Mexico and Arizona in late spring over driving through Canada in the dead middle of winter any day.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Will you be working at Fort Huachuca? Welcome to Arizona.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the new job. Condolences on moving into a kiln.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I have a friend who got their DoD clearance two years ago and moved to Sierra Vista for a job there...

..and just got laid off in the last month. Wonder if it's the same project/place.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Yeah. I'm working on Fort Huachuca with STG. Should be an interesting job at least.

Don't know if it's the same project, Farmgirl. I know STG does a lot of different stuff in the area, but I imagine there are also a lot of other contractors there.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Oh, My car is just about to hit 34,000 miles, so yeah, it's in pretty good working order [Big Grin]

And I'll take driving through New Mexico and Arizona in late spring over driving through Canada in the dead middle of winter any day.

At least in Canadian dead winter you'll still have heat when your car's running... [Smile] I took a trip across the Arizona desert (to Mexico) in late May once with my dad in a vehicle with no air conditioning (and basically no insulation between the engine and passenger compartments). I got the early stages of heat stroke (stopped sweating, irrationality, etc.) and don't recommend it. Keep in mind that late May in Arizona is hotter than summer in most other areas of the country (we've already had several 100+ days this month and it's not really going to cool down again until October or so).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Sierra Vista is a lot nicer, weather-wise, than the major cities. It gets a lot more of the summer monsoon storms, which helps to cool things down in the afternoon/evenings. Also, it's more of a dry grassland up there than a cactusy desert. It was Sierra Vista that made my husband decide to continue his schooling in Arizona, but he discovered that Tucson is much hotter and less pleasant.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.