FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » hand/finger pain - guesses? Prizes!*

Author Topic: hand/finger pain - guesses? Prizes!*
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
*Prizes will not be awarded.

So I have an odd pain in my hand which isn't serious enough to get me to the doctor but is novel enough to make me wonder what the heck I did.

It seems to center on the first knuckle of my right-hand middle finger. (The distal end of the 3rd metacarpal and base of the 3rd proximal phalanx.) If I'm not doing anything at all, faint ache. If I type, I feel a twinge when I reach with that finger or use it press a key at anything other than the home position of that finger.

It hurts when I make a fist, and if I push that finger in any direction with my other hand while relaxing my right hand. It doesn't hurt as much, but still a little, when I grip something with my entire hand. The knuckle is a little bit puffy, but not noticeable unless you compare it against my other hand (I normally have very bony-looking knuckles). I feel some pain when I squeeze the joint with my left hand fingers.

Could this be a fracture of some kind? I hope I'm not getting arthritic. The only thing I can remember doing that *might* have injured this hand was wakeboarding about 10 days ago - my hands felt sore from gripping the tow rope afterward, but the soreness faded after a couple of days and I didn't have any pain until yesterday morning, when I was using this hand to do a lot of scrubbing. Could the several times the boat pulled the bar on the end of the rope out of my hands, while I tried to hang on, have injured my hand in some latent fashion that didn't manifest until I re-stressed it by cleaning a bunch of stuff?

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Incipient "trigger finger," maybe?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I had anything like this it was a misplaced bone!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Last time I had anything like this it was a misplaced bone!

Misplaced, as in lost? Boy, that'd be weird.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I think it might be a bit less painful today, but it is somewhat stiff. I think the joint is properly joined. Maybe this will just go away.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
As a really bizarre coincidence, I have virtually identical symptoms in my right ring finger today except there is no visable evidence of any swelling. Its rather strange, just a twinge in the knuckle when I move it in certain directions.

The hand was fine last night when I went to bed but was hurting when I woke up in the morning. I wonder if I slept on it wrong of something.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Maybe it's H1KN1. (KN for knuckle)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
H1KN1, The first known human disease spread by interacting on internet forums.

You aren't by any chance a Mac user?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I thought that honor was already taken by "agoraphobia". Perhaps first non-psychological disease?

Nope windows user.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oooooo, the disease spreads not only between humans and computers but across platforms as well. I think we should name it the Intel flu, until intel complains.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a mouse with a scroll wheel?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Yes, but I scroll with my index finger.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.