FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sci Fi Philosophy #3--Close Encounters

Author Topic: Sci Fi Philosophy #3--Close Encounters
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine you are the alien. With advanced technology in health care, nano-technonoly, and cybernetics, the decades and centuries its taken you to travel to Earth are not burdensome.

You arrive here and found the humans broken up in various political, economic, religious, even tribal states, many willing to enact amazing amounts of violence on each other.

How do you make contact?

1) Pick the biggest--the US--and talk to them?
2) Pick their semi-structured United Nations and talk to them?
3) Wait around for a century or two to observe and see if they outgrow this juvenile behavior?
4) Land in force and force them out of such petty behavior.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
5) Drop a small (15km or so diameter) rock on them and watch them scurry, then burn "Kilroy was here" in 100 mile high letters into Siberia and skedaddle.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote 5) as well.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
So you've been to Tugunska.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Do the humans have anything I want? If so, I trade.

If I was just looking for land to settle on, I snap my fingers and move on to the next star system.

Though I might pause and study them a bit to satisfy anthropological curiosity.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
A combination of 2 and 3. Talking to representatives in nice if you feel pretty sure their first move won't be to try to blast you out of the sky. Hence the initial period of observation. And if the aliens come in a few years they might want to talk to China, not the US, if it's only one country. Super-powers change. Better to try and talk to something resembling a world government, although the UN is still very far from one.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
3) probably, maybe with some hidden observation and study.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
6)Hide a wireless speaker in a bush. Set bush on fire. When someone comes to investigate, test his gullibity by giving him a bunch of silly rules to follow.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 8!

Hatrack really is going downhill. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Walk around for a centurty or two to see if there is a people on earth who a) won't immediately get hit by a rock and have my advanced technology and wisdom taken from them by force, and b) won't immediately use said advanced technology and wisdom as a rock to hit everyone with whom they've been nursing a long-standing grudge.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this reminds me of an upcoming movie: District 9.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
7) Dissect some farm animals and make designs in fields. Buzz some poor honest folk.

Probe anuses.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
8) Reveal myself in the sky to the entire planet at once, and just hang there. Observe with interest how *they* go about initiating contact with *me*.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken an different approach in a short story I wrote a long time ago. The aliens remain secretive except to a few people who they "recruit" via abductions. The people act as "apostles" in a way, reporting back to aliens as they (the appointed humans) make subtle attempts to make the planet ready to accept the existence of aliens.

The story was rejected by IGMS, and I really, really want to redo it.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.