FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Transfering between two external drives without a computer

Author Topic: Transfering between two external drives without a computer
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there's a gadget out there that'll do this? Or between an external hard drive and a flash drive?

It seems like there ought to be a market for something like that, no? But I've Googled and failed.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there'd be a market for it. Nearly everybody who uses those things has access to a computer.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bizrate.com/memorycardreaders/memorex-travelsync-32028501-flash-drive-reader--pid427419433/
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of external hard drives -- I'm in the market for one, not necessarily a portable one. Anyone have any favorite brands or models to stay away from?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly Memorex disagrees with my opinion. [Big Grin]

RE: external hard drives. Since the enclosure itself is relatively cheap (meaning you're not risking a lot going with an unknown brand), I think you could go with anything with a decent rating on Newegg. There are several with 5 star ratings up right now.

One to probably avoid: I have a Galaxy brand enclosure that has a cheap power connector that I have to be careful with - any slight jostle might interrupt the power. It's not bad enough to make me want a new one, but it's enough to make me try a different brand next time.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd avoid the Seagate FreeAgent line- I had one of those start glitching and refusing to read within 6 months. Fortunately it kept working (sporadically) long enough for me to transfer the contents onto a different drive.

Even if the mechanics worked properly, an external drive with no hardware off-switch? Bad idea.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
http://www.bizrate.com/memorycardreaders/memorex-travelsync-32028501-flash-drive-reader--pid427419433/

Wow. Thank you so much.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
On the subject of external hard drives -- I'm in the market for one, not necessarily a portable one. Anyone have any favorite brands or models to stay away from?

I have a MyBook, and I like it.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a device, actually... my friend Mark told me of something that would get information off of a defunct laptop hard drive onto an external, and I can't imagine this would be that different. He said you could probably get it at Best Buy, but he didn't tell me what it was called...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I would second Sterling's recommendation to avoid the Seagate FreeAgent line...
To be honest, I avoid the entire Seagate line

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.