FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Freedom in Israel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Religious Freedom in Israel
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
So in cases where a Muslim man marries a Jewish women (r'ltz), the State of Israel, in all its slavish wish to bend over backwards and make others happy, registers the child as Muslim.
Is this true regardless of the wishes of the parents? Could the parents choose to have the child registered as Jewish or something else?
Beats me. I doubt it's ever happened.

quote:
According to my sources, interfaith and non-religious marriages are not recognized in Israel so I'm not sure what you mean about the state Slavishly bending over when Muslim man "marries" a Jewish woman.

If they marry elsewhere. Israel accepts marriages performed abroad. Also, Muslim family status is under the aegis of the Muslim religious authorities in Israel, so if they choose to do such a marriage, they can.

More discrimination against Jews. <sigh>

quote:
What do the do when a child has a Jewish father and a Muslim mother?

Who cares? I'd hope they'd register the child as a Muslim. It certainly isn't a Jew.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, atheism isn't a religion; it's a mistake.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
And this is exactly what I object to. Every human being deserves the right to citizenship in his native land.

Says who?

It's funny... you read stories about criminals in Turkey and Spain and other places who've watched American cop shows on cable. When they get arrested, they're all, "But you didn't read me my rights!" Get a grip, Rabbit. As much as some Americans might like it to be otherwise, America doesn't rule the world, and American standards, while good for America, aren't necessarily good in other contexts.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Edit: And y'know Lisa, you've said many times that you'd support a complete and immediate cessation of US foreign aid to Israel. I believe you mean it, but I'm not so sure at all if you'd keep meaning it if this ever became anything more substantial than the very abstract issue it is right now.

I've been saying it for the past 25 years. And I mean it. I'd do quite a lot for it to happen.

(Edit) Of course, I'd also campaign for an end to aid for Israel's neighbors as well, but if that wasn't an option, I'd still ask for an end to aid for Israel.

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Because right now, and for the forseeable future, US foreign aid is going to keep flowing to Israel. Both parties want it to continue, with no signs showing of that mutual desire tapering off. So I guess what I'm saying is, "It sounds nice."

USA = pusher
Israel = junkie

You do the math.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
... When you move to Israel, you're asked your religion. If you don't identify as a Jew, then you don't get the rights given to a Jew.

If that is correct, then it seems to me that it didn't make sense for The Rabbit to breakout atheist Jews and Mormon Jews as being treated separately, both get treated the same.
I doubt it. An atheist Jew who wants to move to Israel is likely to say "I'm Jewish, but I don't believe."
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Every word you say makes more convinced that a theocracy is a disaster for human dignity.

DNFTT.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... I doubt it. An atheist Jew who wants to move to Israel is likely to say "I'm Jewish, but I don't believe."

*shrug* A Mormon could just say the same thing.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, atheism isn't a religion; it's a mistake.
And Judaism is a lie. Atheists, however, do not generally attempt to use force to prevent people from believing such lies.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Any system of government based on the idea that some people born in the country are more equal than others is inherently flawed. It was wrong when it was built into the U.S. Constitution, and it's still wrong 150 years after that ended.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_nationality_law

wiki on israel's citizenship laws.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
... I doubt it. An atheist Jew who wants to move to Israel is likely to say "I'm Jewish, but I don't believe."

*shrug* A Mormon could just say the same thing.
I'd figure an atheist would have no qualms about lying, particularly if it's to get something he thinks he's being denied unjustly because of religion. Do Mormons feel the same way?
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd figure an atheist would have no qualms about lying, particularly if it's to get something he thinks he's being denied unjustly because of religion"

The assertion being that atheists are more prone to lying than religious folk?

I seriously doubt you could demonstrate any objective reason for believing this.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you figure that? Atheists are just as capable of morality as anyone else.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Is that lying though? If someone is literally saying "I'm Jewish, but I don't believe" then clearly they're not saying that they are Jewish due to any religious belief. It would seem to me that they are asserting that they're Jewish in terms of ethnicity/heredity/whatever.

At least, it is not clear to me that they would think that they are lying.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd figure an atheist would have no qualms about lying, particularly if it's to get something he thinks he's being denied unjustly because of religion.

You figure wrong.

But that's not unexpected. Your posts here only show that you're only here to spew and never actually tried to have a conversation.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd post something but I'm probably just lying anyway...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
... When you move to Israel, you're asked your religion. If you don't identify as a Jew, then you don't get the rights given to a Jew.

If that is correct, then it seems to me that it didn't make sense for The Rabbit to breakout atheist Jews and Mormon Jews as being treated separately, both get treated the same.
I doubt it. An atheist Jew who wants to move to Israel is likely to say "I'm Jewish, but I don't believe."
My question is, why would Atheist Jews want to move to Israel? I consider myself one now, loved and cherished the 10 days I spent there, but frankly would rather move to Canada or Australia.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Perhaps a Jew born in Israel could become an atheist.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Rabbit, Israel was created as a state for the Jews. As a refuge, but also because it's our home, and after spending almost 2000 years expelled from it against our wishes, and proclaiming our intent to eventually return on a daily basis, we've finally started to do so.

So you can trace every one of your ancestors back to the same group of people living in the same little area for 2,000 years? Sounds like that's a big part of your problem right there. Family trees are supposed to have branches.

I'm reminded of a Ben Folds song:

quote:
I can feel that someone's blasting me with hate and bass
Sending dirty vibes my way
'Cause my great-great-great-great-granddad
Made someone's great-great-great-great-granddaddies slaves
It wasn't my idea...

Yes, a long dead group of people once did something bad to another long dead group of people. That was 2,000 years ago, and none of them was you or anyone you know. Maybe it's time to let it go.

Better yet, after all these centuries, maybe it's time for you to marry an Arab. If your mama had married an Arab, there's a chance you'd have been able to live your life in peace, rather than wasting it being consumed with hatred and xenophobia.

That seems like a much better gift to give your children than another generation of inbreeding.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bummer, Scott. God disagrees.
What was that thing about using God's name in vain?

As far as I can tell, saying "Oh God, I wish I had a million dollars" or even "God damnit, this hurts" isn't taking his name in vain, because you're speaking the truth, from your own perspective. But to put words in the mouth of God, well, that's the very essence of blasphemy. Good thing blasphemy is a victimless crime or you'd be up a creek.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps a Jew born in Israel could become an atheist.
No doubt many have.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by: Lisa

Well, yeah. The guy apostasized, Rabbit. Sure, he's still Jewish, but he's the one who opted out. Now he wants to complain that he isn't being given the same perks as Jews who didn't? That's awfully self-serving.

Are they Jewish? Did he marry a Jew? If they aren't Jewish, why do you think they should get citizenship? Just because they were born there? Because that's how it works in the US? Sorry, but that's hardly the rule, and it'll never be the rule in Israel. As I said, Israel is the state of the Jews; not the state of the people who happen to live there at any given time.

You made constant references in, I can't remember if it's the locked thread or the Obama thread or both, to a recent court case where, to paraphrase you 'it's now illegal to marry a Jew.' Well, the actual details of the court case do not make it illegal to marry a Jew, but if an Egyptian does marry a Jew, they lose their citizenship.

So here's my question: How is that wrong, but this is okay?

Israel sets the standard of Judaism for citizenship, Egypt sets it as Islam, with a...well, tenuous tolerance of Christian populations at least. In Israel, in your words, children of Jews and Muslims are declared Muslims, and I would imagine don't have citizenship, and in Egypt, now, if a Muslim marries a Jew, they lose citizenship. It would seem you're drawing an extremely fine line here.

Near as I can tell from reading the details of that court case, by the way, the judges involved were far more concerned about Egyptians who move to Israel, get married, and then try to bring their wives back to Egypt, rather than just a blanket attack on Judaism (though I'm not ruling out the possibility).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I see of it, the more I think that if one specifically *wanted* to make people less sympathetic to Israel and less amenable to lisa's causes, the best way to do so would be to argue pretty much like lisa and eventually cycle into this whole idea of a theocratic nation where you have to be a jew to vote and if you do something like marry a non-jew you don't get to vote anymore* and this is the way it should be and god says so and let me smirk and berate you for not finding this the best most appropriate idea etc etc etc.

It may as well have been crafted purposefully to transmit the notion "hi, I'm so radical that people like me can never, ever be trusted with the future of Israel, man, we'd screw that place up gooooooood"

* edit: OR if you marry a non-jew just your KID doesn't get to vote ever, OR if ONLY you are the male and you marry a jewish female, your kid doesn't get to vote ever, but maybe perhaps if it is the other way around and if the mom is jewish then it's okay to be a REAL citizen of Israel, gee, sorry if I get some convoluted literal-interpretation theological social policy details wrong

[ June 11, 2009, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It almost makes you wonder if Lisa really hates Israel, she's such an effective argument against its constitution.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I must admit, I was far more pro-Israel before reading Lisa's posts on the topic.
Geekazoid
Member # 7610

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid   Email Geekazoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Its clear that Israel has an identity crisis which is probably one of the biggest barriers (after actual violence) to peace. Israel can't decide whether it's a Democratic State that is for the Jews as a refuge, or that its a Jewish State that happens to use democracy.

That's whats leads to a lot of the disagreements between hard liners like Lisa and some people who are more moderate. Hard liners hold its a Jewish State and Torah Law and having all of the land is most important while the moderates believe that the state is meant to be as free as possible as long as it can always be a refuge for the Jews to live without fear.

Until Israel can choose which type of state it is, nothing will ever be solved.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Israel sets the standard of Judaism for citizenship
No it doesn't. It reacts to the standard of Judaism for persecution. Go check the Nuremburg Laws.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
Bummer, Scott. God disagrees.
What was that thing about using God's name in vain?

As far as I can tell, saying "Oh God, I wish I had a million dollars" or even "God damnit, this hurts" isn't taking his name in vain, because you're speaking the truth, from your own perspective. But to put words in the mouth of God, well, that's the very essence of blasphemy. Good thing blasphemy is a victimless crime or you'd be up a creek.

Or maybe you simply don't know the definition of blasphemy.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You made constant references in, I can't remember if it's the locked thread or the Obama thread or both, to a recent court case where, to paraphrase you 'it's now illegal to marry a Jew.' Well, the actual details of the court case do not make it illegal to marry a Jew, but if an Egyptian does marry a Jew, they lose their citizenship.

It's all in the details. Ordinarily, Muslim men are allowed, and sometimes even encouraged, to marry non-Muslim women. But this ruling was that they aren't allowed to marry non-Muslim women from Israel. Not because they're members of another religion, but because they're Israeli. It isn't even slightly in the same realm.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Geekazoid:
Its clear that Israel has an identity crisis which is probably one of the biggest barriers (after actual violence) to peace. Israel can't decide whether it's a Democratic State that is for the Jews as a refuge, or that its a Jewish State that happens to use democracy.

That's whats leads to a lot of the disagreements between hard liners like Lisa and some people who are more moderate. Hard liners hold its a Jewish State and Torah Law and having all of the land is most important while the moderates believe that the state is meant to be as free as possible as long as it can always be a refuge for the Jews to live without fear.

Until Israel can choose which type of state it is, nothing will ever be solved.

QFT
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
My question is, why would Atheist Jews want to move to Israel?

Many do. Some I have met have tried to explain it to me. I didn't entirely understand, but I'll do my best to relay what I was told.

You can be proud to be part of the Jewish nation, and wish to be in our homeland, even if you believe God is a nice idea, rather than an aspect of reality.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

An idea that sounds less and less "nice" (and less and less like God) the more it is described here.
rivka
Member # 4859

Was that necessary? I have no interest in engaging in any side of the nastiness. I was just trying to answer an honest question.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Rivka, I don't know if you believe as Lisa does or not. And I am not asking you to answer that.

For me, stating that the kind of God who would want what Lisa has been describing is neither nice nor just nor God is as necessary as any part of this conversation.

I have a hard time wondering how someone who doesn't even have the reason of believing that God is real would choose to think that any of it - as described as Lisa has done - is nice.

Added: I mean really. "I don't really believe in God but how wonderful there is a(nother) country where you only have rights if you belong to a certain ethnic group and other people are discriminated against. Let's work toward that!"

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Rivka, I don't know if you believe as Lisa does or not. And I am not asking you to answer that.

I would have to pick apart what she says and explain which parts I disagree strongly with, which I sort of agree with but with caveats, which I don't even understand where she gets them from, and which I actually agree with completely.

I have no interest in doing that sort of unraveling.

Regardless, I strongly object to my statement being used as a springboard for negativity when I was doing my darnedest to stay out of it.

Mucus
Member # 9735

rivka: For my part, I appreciated the answer and I'm not totally unsympathetic. There are some parallels in the Chinese community.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kmb, you are very silly if you want to judge Judaism based on Lisa's personality type.

If you prefer - just see it as Rivka's nation and Rivka's God. Does that make it easier? Rivka is a really nice person.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Mucus. [Smile]

Armoth, you're very sweet. I expect it doesn't help much; Kate is still pretty angry with me about prop. 8. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
My question is, why would Atheist Jews want to move to Israel?

Many do. Some I have met have tried to explain it to me. I didn't entirely understand, but I'll do my best to relay what I was told.

You can be proud to be part of the Jewish nation, and wish to be in our homeland, even if you believe God is a nice idea, rather than an aspect of reality.

This seems along the lines of how Einstein felt about the the Jewish people.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"a nice idea"? You DO realize how that sounds right?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I must admit, I was far more pro-Israel before reading Lisa's posts on the topic.

QFT
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
quote:
No it doesn't. It reacts to the standard of Judaism for persecution. Go check the Nuremburg Laws.
Um, I'm not sure if that really follows...

This is something I don't really know, it's just what I've picked up from reading Lisa's posts, but do you or do you not need to be Jewish to have full citizenship rights? If you do, then nothing you just said really matters so far as my argument goes. If you don't, then I've gotten the wrong impression, and that takes things in another direction.

quote:
quote:

It's all in the details. Ordinarily, Muslim men are allowed, and sometimes even encouraged, to marry non-Muslim women. But this ruling was that they aren't allowed to marry non-Muslim women from Israel. Not because they're members of another religion, but because they're Israeli. It isn't even slightly in the same realm.
That's not true actually, in a number of ways. What you linked to was a fatwa, which doesn't have legally binding force, at least not usually. Sometimes it can in matters of marriage, which we're dealing with, but almost always in shia dominant countries, which isn't the case with Egypt. Fatwas are guiding principles on religious matters, and can be taken into consideration in court cases. The original court case that you referenced initially does not outlaw marriage to non-Muslim Jews, it removes citizenship for doing it, though marriage to a Muslim Israeli still allows for the retention of citizenship.

So it still comes back to a matter of citizenship. Even Egypt allows non-Muslims to be citizens. I've gotten the impression that non-Jews aren't given full citizenship. And that the children of Muslim men are considered Muslim, and would thus also not have citizenship.

I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Um, I'm not sure if that really follows...

This is something I don't really know, it's just what I've picked up from reading Lisa's posts, but do you or do you not need to be Jewish to have full citizenship rights? If you do, then nothing you just said really matters so far as my argument goes. If you don't, then I've gotten the wrong impression, and that takes things in another direction.

Judaism is not a requirement to be a citizen of Israel.

--Edit: If I understand her correctly, Lisa wants things to change so the Judaism is a requirement for citizenship.--

(I'm sure someone's posted about the Arabs who didn't listen to their leaders, stayed put during the War of Independence, and became citizens, while those who listened and fled got stuck by those same leaders in refugee camps.)

People of all religions are treated the same under the law with 2 major exceptions that I can think of:

1)Only (non-chareidi) Jews are drafted into the army. Non-Jews must volunteer if thet want to serve.

2)The Law of Return. This was enacted so that whenever Jews were being persecuted because they were Jews, there would be a place that would welcome them for because they were Jews. Most Anti-Semites don't actually care about the definition of a Jew according to halacha (Jewish Law) and consider anyone with 1 Jewsih grandparent Jewish enough to kill. The law reflects that as we don't want anyone persecuted as a Jew to be without options.

However, lots of areas, like marriage, are left under religious juristiction, which obviously has different rules for members and non-members. So when people want to get married, they go to the appropiate religious authority for their faith who presumably won't let them marry outside the faith.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
--Edit: If I understand her correctly, Lisa wants things to change so the Judaism is a requirement for citizenship.--
Ah, okay. I got that mixed up then.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

"Added: I mean really. "I don't really believe in God but how wonderful there is a(nother) country where you only have rights if you belong to a certain ethnic group and other people are discriminated against. Let's work toward that!" "

What Lisa has described is her vision of what israel should be. Not how it is, and not how atheist jews work to make israel.

katharina
Member # 827

The only ways to become a citizen, according to wikipedia:

1. By return. Jews only.
2. By residence if you lived there before 1948.
3. If you parents are already citizens. Not actually a method.
4. By naturalization, which is only available to permanent residents. You can only become a permanent residence at the discretion at the Minister of the Interior, who has basically carte blance to set policy about who and when.

quote:
To be eligible for naturalization, a person must have resided in Israel for three years out of the previous five years. In addition, the applicant must have a right to reside in Israel on a permanent basis. All naturalization requests are, however, at the discretion of the Minister of the Interior.
I'm having a very, very hard time finding instructions for becoming a permanent resident, although all sorts of rules about who can't become a permanent resident (if you aren't already a citizen and live in Gaza, for instance) are everywhere.

I did find this:
quote:
there is no immigration law that applies to non-Jews
from some instructions on how to live in Israel.
http://www.israeltoday.co.il/default.aspx?tabid=182&view=item&idx=1638&skintype=G&skinname=_default&skinsrc=printmodule.ascx&containertype=G&containername=_default&containersrc=pri ntContent.ascx&mid=942

The tagline:
quote:

How can Christian Zionists gain long-term status in Israel, which only officially accepts Jewish immigrants?

Long-term status - not citizenship. Reading it, you basically have to be related to someone Jewish and sneak in through a back door, back doors that have been forced open by the courts.

Citizens of all religions may be the same under the law, but citizenship is officially only open to Jews and special cases the courts have forced Israel to allow.

Discrimination is far, far too weak a word for this.

katharina
Member # 827

If someone's goal was to turn people against Israel's present constitution and convince them it is inherently discriminatory, I think they would act exactly as Lisa does.

I am honestly curious as to what she thinks she is doing. Is this a secret vendetta?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am honestly curious as to what she thinks she is doing
Being honest and forthright to the point of bull-headedness. That's Lisa's thing, and to be frank I respect her for it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Correct.

quote:
1)Only (non-chareidi) Jews are drafted into the army. Non-Jews must volunteer if thet want to serve.

Some non-Jews can serve if they volunteer. Some can't. And the "non-chareidi" is not true. Chareidim are drafted just like anyone else. Some of them get exemptions to learn in Yeshiva. Some secular kids get exemptions for other reasons, or simply leave the country for a while to avoid service.

Women do a shorter stint, and they're allowed to do national service instead of army if their religious views require it. They're allowed to do neither, too, if their religious views require it.

quote:
2)The Law of Return. This was enacted so that whenever Jews were being persecuted because they were Jews, there would be a place that would welcome them for because they were Jews. Most Anti-Semites don't actually care about the definition of a Jew according to halacha (Jewish Law) and consider anyone with 1 Jewsih grandparent Jewish enough to kill. The law reflects that as we don't want anyone persecuted as a Jew to be without options.

Well, I'm all for people being allowed in if they meet the anti-semitic definition, but I still want citizenship limited to Jews.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, Would you consider it acceptable if any other country restricted citizenship based on religion. Suppose the US were to limit citizenship to Christians or France were to withhold citizenship from Jews, would you find that acceptable? Do you think it is acceptable for Muslim countries to restrict citizenship to Muslims?

If not, why do you see Israel as an exception to this rule and if "God wants it that way is your answer" you need to explain why you believe God wants it that way and why your belief should be considered any more valid than the say Mahmoud Ahmadinejad belief that God wants the Jews removed from Palestine.

As Barack Obama said

quote:
Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. . . . . Politics depends on our ability to persuade each other of common aims based on a common reality.
So if you are not simply depending on God to make his will law in Israel but are hoping for cooperation of others in achieving what you see as the God's will for Israel/Palestine, you need to persuade us not just make unprovable irrational claims.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.