FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Freedom in Israel (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Religious Freedom in Israel
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If not, why do you see Israel as an exception to this rule...
One of the reasons that Holocaust-denying is a popular sport among anti-semites is that the Holocaust is often used as an argument to prove that the Jews need a state they can keep to themselves.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If the Holocaust is the reason why Jews should be allowed a strictly Jewish state, would you support this kind of state for other groups who have experienced genocide, for example Gypsies or the Lakotah? If not, why not?

Also, if the Holocaust if the reason for restricting citizenship, why would you not allow citizenship to all those who were considered Jews in the Holocaust and not solely those who are considered Jews by the Rabbinate.

BTW, my friend was considered a Jew by the Germans during WW II. His parents fled Nazi Germany. Even if he had converted during WW II, the Nazi's would still have considered him a Jew yet he would not be allowed refuge in Israel under current laws as I understand them.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Lisa, Would you consider it acceptable if any other country restricted citizenship based on religion. Suppose the US were to limit citizenship to Christians or France were to withhold citizenship from Jews, would you find that acceptable? Do you think it is acceptable for Muslim countries to restrict citizenship to Muslims?

In order, depends on the country, no, and yes.

quote:
If not, why do you see Israel as an exception to this rule and if "God wants it that way is your answer" you need to explain why you believe God wants it that way and why your belief should be considered any more valid than the say Mahmoud Ahmadinejad belief that God wants the Jews removed from Palestine.

Um... because Judaism is true?

quote:
As Barack Obama said

[QUOTE] Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. . . . .

Not really. Democracy is simply a method of reaching decisions. American democracy is a different thing, as it's based on the idea of a nationality that comes from the people, rather than a people with a certain nationality. Do you get the difference? It seems not.

France is to French as America is to American as Israel is to Jewish. Not as Israel is to Israeli. So long as you don't get that, this entire "discussion" is pointless.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
If not, why do you see Israel as an exception to this rule...
One of the reasons that Holocaust-denying is a popular sport among anti-semites is that the Holocaust is often used as an argument to prove that the Jews need a state they can keep to themselves.
Why bother denying the Holocaust? Wouldn't it be much easier to just point out what a terrible argument that is?
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
If the Holocaust is the reason why Jews should be allowed a strictly Jewish state,

It isn't. God, I hate the "Jewish history began in Auschwitz" crowd. And Rabbit, you don't "allow" us or not "allow" us a state. God decided that that's the land of the Jews. Yes, it's worthwhile to point out that since you and your coreligionists have made Jew-killing a sport for the past 17 centuries, it's unreasonable for us to be completely at your whim. In all honesty, we have no idea when you're going to revert to that sort of behavior again. It's been our experience that Christian "tolerance" of Jews never lasts more than a century or two in any given locale. And hell, things were getting pretty bad for Jews in the US up until the Holocaust. "No Jews or Dogs" wasn't that uncommon a sign in these United States. The Holocaust shocked Americans into pulling out of that direction, but we're going to need a lot more than 60 years or so to be convinced that you're actually safe.

quote:
Also, if the Holocaust if the reason for restricting citizenship, why would you not allow citizenship to all those who were considered Jews in the Holocaust and not solely those who are considered Jews by the Rabbinate.

Your premise is false, since it isn't, but as it happens, Israel allows anyone with one Jewish grandparent (any grandparent) to get citizenship under the Law of Return. One of the horrible side effects of that is that when the Soviet Union fell, Israel was inundated with non-Jews, many of whom are actually quite anti-semitic themselves. But they got all the entitlements, and it was too good to pass up.

quote:
BTW, my friend was considered a Jew by the Germans during WW II. His parents fled Nazi Germany. Even if he had converted during WW II, the Nazi's would still have considered him a Jew yet he would not be allowed refuge in Israel under current laws as I understand them.

Well, maybe he shouldn't have apostasized. Christianity is idolatry for a Jew, and idolatry is one of the things that we're obligated to die rather than commit. You're not going to find any sympathy here.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think. But I don't think that the ability to construct a coherent argument correlates well with a tendency to deny that the Holocaust happened.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So long as you don't get that, this entire "discussion" is pointless.
Does "get that" equal "agree with that?"

You don't have to participate in conversations which you find pointless, Lisa.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think it kinda needs to be understood is that a) if we can agree that the majority of ethnic groups desire a nation-state ergo we can agree that the Jews deserve one, and since they already have a state it is thus disingenuous to at this junction imply or discuss the possibility of them not having a state or force them into some sort of framework where they're no better then an autonomous part of another state.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum the Jews deserve a state and since they already have a state they thus ergo have every right to defend it to their fullest capabilities, all other concerns are secondary to the cause of national survival, that Israel currently does undertake actions to prove it IS more civilized and holds the moral high ground demonsrates they're moral character.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Lisa, please don't accuse other members of murder.

Unless we're playing Clue. For the record, we're not playing Clue. Also, this monkey wrench? TOTALLY for my work.

Er...stay out of the library. It's...uh...being renovated. Bad plumbing.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, it's worthwhile to point out that since you and your coreligionists have made Jew-killing a sport for the past 17 centuries, it's unreasonable for us to be completely at your whim.
That was completely uncalled for. I have not killed Jews, do not support the killing of Jews, and in fact have actively worked to protect the rights of Jews. My religion is less than 200 years old and in that time my co-religionists have never supported the killing of Jews.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
... Why bother denying the Holocaust? Wouldn't it be much easier to just point out what a terrible argument that is?

Alternatively, if one *was* a rational anti-semite, why would one point that out?

The current situation almost seems perfect, rather than having to go around invading countries and then killing people off, why not establish a trap with the cheese essentially being their own belief that they have to be in a specific land? Why not let them isolate themselves in a strategically unwise location surrounded by moody and unpredictable theocracies armed with weapons of mass destruction and give them both enough time and money to gather most of themselves there? Even better, why not give them the false-confidence that they can stand toe-to-toe with that crowd indefinitely even as the US is deteriorating?

I'm not unsympathetic to the human desire to establish a place, a safe haven, for one's own people. But this seems to be a very very terrible way of going about it. The flip-side of this is that an anti-semite should be happy about the existence of Israel and especially happy if it follows the path laid out in this thread.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
My religion is less than 200 years old and in that time my co-religionists have never supported the killing of Jews.
Well-- that's not quite true. I support Jews' rights to eat babies, and if they eat JEWISH babies, then I guess I support killing Jews.

It bugs me that they don't share, though. I'm totally willing to share all the babies I'd eat. Why they gotta be mean, huh?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
It isn't. God, I hate the "Jewish history began in Auschwitz" crowd. And Rabbit, you don't "allow" us or not "allow" us a state.
What have I said to imply that Jewish history began with Auschwitz? Can you please stick to the arguments I make and not the ones someone else has made at some point in time.

And now I'm going to live and cool off because I don't like being accused of murdering for sport.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I don't like being accused of murdering for sport.
I know. I eat what I kill. That way, it's not a "sport" at all.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
France is to French as America is to American as Israel is to Jewish.
America is not to American as France is to French, so I'm not sure how to interpret this. You become American simply by living in America and accepting the idea of being American, whereas I think becoming French requires more than that.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I think becoming French requires more than that.
You have to wear a beret and grow a mustache. Even the ladies.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
My religion is less than 200 years old and in that time my co-religionists have never supported the killing of Jews.
Well-- that's not quite true. I support Jews' rights to eat babies, and if they eat JEWISH babies, then I guess I support killing Jews.

It bugs me that they don't share, though. I'm totally willing to share all the babies I'd eat. Why they gotta be mean, huh?

quote:

OK, killing for food isn't the same as killing for sport.
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
And speak French.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by ambyr:
quote:
quote:
And speak French.
I'm pretty sure they require that in order to consider you human.

[Smile]

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:

Wait, Mormons aren't Christians now?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Mormons aren't Christians now?
Of course we are!

You are what you eat, after all!

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Thanks, Mucus. [Smile]

Armoth, you're very sweet. I expect it doesn't help much; Kate is still pretty angry with me about prop. 8. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Honestly, it had nothing to do with that. It actually had nothing to do with you at all. I would have made that response to that post whoever made it. It was, as you suggested, a springboard. The idea of God being a nice idea in juxtaposition to the God that was being described was appalling.

Armoth, nice people can believe really horrid things. I have no idea what parts of this Rivka believes or doesn't and I respect her wish not to make that clear. If you or others care to refute what Lisa says God wants Israel to be, that would be great.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Oh. Gee. I guess I missed the part where I did that. Maybe you should quote it if you think I did.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The more Lisa talks, the more I'm convinced that she is hellbent on making Israel appear as loony, racist, and tyrranical as possible.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Oh. Gee. I guess I missed the part where I did that. Maybe you should quote it if you think I did.
No way. I have no desire to lift this thread from the absurd abyss to which you pushed it and I've buried it.

The only thing that can stop me now is Claudia Therese! AND SHE'S IN CANADA!

MWAHAAA!

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
The holocaust is not the only argument for the creation of the state of Israel. Herzl had been putting things in motion for an Israeli homeland for years before. His motivator was actually the progroms in Russia at the beginning of the 20th century.

What Lisa means about Jewish history beginning in Auschwitz (If I am correct) is that Jews have been at the mercy of their not-so-welcoming Christian hosts for centuries.From the 11th century to the 15th - we have faced crusades, libels, expulsions from all of Western Europe, ritual murder trials, collective punishment, laws restricting Jewish freedoms, laws ensuring the Christian doctrines of perpetual servitude. Jews were portrayed as pigs, demons, witch-lovers, host desecrators, etc. etc.

When Jews were living in Eastern Europe they faced similar threats, and were massacred in the 17th century when they were caught in between Poles and Cossacks. Stuff like that + Progroms in Russia until the Holocaust leads the average Jew to believe that we need our own homeland. Is this a difficult argument to understand in light of our Jewish history?

Edit: I felt like I was an American my entire life, until a swatstika was painted on my garage door. In light of our history, can you not understand how Jews are skittish even with the U.S., best hosts they have ever had in history?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
we can agree that the majority of ethnic groups desire a nation-state
It's worth noting that ethnic groups who desire this are stupid. It never works out.
katharina
Member # 827

It isn't difficult to understand. It's just a bad argument.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
It isn't difficult to understand. It's just a bad argument.

I would appreciate you demonstrating why it is a bad argument. I think I have done my best to explain why I think it is not.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Stuff like that + Progroms in Russia until the Holocaust leads the average Jew to believe that we need our own homeland. Is this a difficult argument to understand in light of our Jewish history?
Not at all. Jews have a right, like every other civilized human being to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

They have a right to participate in the government and the defense of the society in which they live.

So do the non-Jews living in, or coming to, Israel.

katharina
Member # 827

What Scott said. The right to pursue a life free from persecution and discrimination is not a license to persecute and discriminate against others.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
can you not understand how Jews are skittish even with the U.S., best hosts they have ever had in history?
We're not your "hosts." Most of us, we're your people.
Armoth
Member # 4752

The civil rights movement is an incredibly new movement. While I choose to live in America, the option of living in Israel makes me feel safe. The reason for this is because we, as a people, have not experienced tolerance and the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for more than a century in any country.

Check out the mass exodus of Jews from France going on right now. British Jews are only faring a bit better. French Canadian Jews experience anti-semetic attacks all the time.

The U.S. is infinitely better - but like I said, I had a swatstika painted on my garage. While I firmly believe the U.S. is different, my survival instinct tells me that it is not in my interest not to be skeptical.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Wait a minute.

I was only defending the right of Israel to exist. Not on the right of Israel to discriminate.

I do not agree with Lisa. As was explained above - Lisa is an extreme opinion. Muslim citizenship is another story right now because of security issues, but I have no problem with Christian or Druze citizenship.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
The civil rights movement is an incredibly new movement.
Only about 8 years or so younger than the formation of Israel.
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
quote:
The civil rights movement is an incredibly new movement.
Only about 8 years or so younger than the formation of Israel.
Yup. I hope they are both permanent.
katharina
Member # 827

I am starting to understand that the statement "Israel has a right to exist" has the unspoken addendum of "as a discriminatory theocracy."
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I am starting to understand that the statement "Israel has a right to exist" has the unspoken addendum of "as a discriminatory theocracy."

ok. You're not listening to me.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
we can agree that the majority of ethnic groups desire a nation-state
It's worth noting that ethnic groups who desire this are stupid. It never works out.
QFT.
katharina
Member # 827

Armoth, I understand. I disagree.
Scott R
Member # 567

Kat, what is it that you disagree with armoth about?
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
we need our own homeland
This, if the homeland is a theocracy.

Like Tom said, many ethnic and religious groups want a state where they can keep anyone who doesn't belong to that group out. That doesn't make it okay - it's an inherently bad idea.

Scott R
Member # 567

I'm not sure that Armoth is arguing for discrimination.
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
I'm not sure that Armoth is arguing for discrimination.

Correct. I am not.
katharina
Member # 827

If you don't discriminate against who is allowed to immigrate and become citizens, how does it remain an exclusively Jewish state? *serious question*
Scott R
Member # 567

Well-- Utah is a Mormon state, isn't it? You could reasonably expect your kids not to be teased for being Mormon if you lived there.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am and have been a long time supporter of Israel to exist as a Jewish state. In fact, I support the existence of Muslim states. As a person who has argued the need for a Mormon state (and agree fully it isn't going to happen), then I would be a complete hypocrite to not be supportive.

My problem is that Israel doesn't know what it wants to be as a poster said above. No matter what those say who disagree with Lisa, her explanations are closest to the reality of Israel as seen by an outsider. Even one like me who is in support. It infuriates me that Israel so much wants to have its cake and eat it too so far as religious freedom. When it is described as a democracy I have a big question mark above that.

Is the state of Israel a Jewish state or not? If it isn't than deciding citizenship on "Jewishness" should be done away with. If it is then stop voting with one hand while crossing your fingers when it comes to Jewish related laws. I admit that it has some similarity to early Roman citizenship status laws. That is fine, but the least Israel could do is be consistent with those laws.

This does bring up a question that hasn't been answered, or I missed it. Is proselyting illegal in Israel?

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

The U.S. has immigration laws as well. If the entire Muslim world decided to move to the U.S. and exercise voting rights - it'd be a bit of a problem.

It is difficult to deal with the Palestinian population because you can't exactly naturalize enemies of the state.

As for everyone else - It's like my undergraduate university. Yeshiva. There aren't many non-Jews who apply to Yeshiva University, but YU will not discriminate against non-Jews who wish to attend. But YU is Jewish - it teaches Judaism, is organized around the Jewish calendar, bends over backwards to facilitate a Jewish lifestyle, etc.

Additionally, Israel has the right of return to make it easier for Jews to be citizens.

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
... While I choose to live in America, the option of living in Israel makes me feel safe.

Ah, this must be some new use of the word "safe" that I'm unfamiliar with.
Under the old one, living in a border-line war zone and being bombarded weekly if not daily, is not quite "safe."

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
"If the entire Muslim world decided to move to the U.S. and exercise voting rights - it'd be a bit of a problem."

It would only be a problem if Muslims didn't follow the laws to become citizens. However, there is nothing in the U.S. laws that would keep them from voting; even if that meant voting the Constitution out of existence.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.