FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Freedom in Israel (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Religious Freedom in Israel
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Japanese gov't has far more frequent bribery scandals than the gov'ts of most other developed nations, a few outliers such as Italy excepted. And that's in a country where it is socially preferred to hush up bribery scandals and just shuffle people out of office quietly.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
... He is himself a priest and has spoken about the impact that his apologizing has for victims. It is usually the first time someone for the Church has apologized.

Precisely. Whatever other disagreements I have with the Catholic Church, this is one policy(?) that I have great respect for. I think its a good idea.

quote:
As a part of a group, I am not individually responsible for the actions of members of that group, but I am corporately responsible for the actions of that group, particularly if those actions were endorsed by the group as a whole.

Another example: I personally protested our invasion of Iraq, including participating in civil disobedience. That doesn't mean I can wash my hands of responsibility for our actions there.

Indeed. That is a less provocative way than I put it, but I fully agree.

quote:
I do think that "you and your co-religionists killed Jews for sport" is misleading and inflammatory.
I don't know how misleading it is. Certainly no one thinks that The Rabbit personally killed Jews. But it is certainly incredibly inflammatory.

Luckily, "remotely" justifiable is a pretty low threshold to meet.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I mentioned Japan as a morally upstanding citizen of the International community respected by all whom I assume limit citizenship/immigration, Tom implied they were "evil and corrupt" which really really throws me off as if THEY'RE evil its like calling Claudia Theresa a vampire.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I asked you a question of logic, not morality.

But apparently it's gone over your head. And since I have no interest in derailing this thread for the next 3 pages trying to walk you through it, I'll just chuckle and leave it there.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Well, I mentioned Japan as a morally upstanding citizen of the International community respected by all whom I assume limit citizenship/immigration, Tom implied they were "evil and corrupt" which really really throws me off as if THEY'RE evil its like calling Claudia Theresa a vampire.

whoa whoa whoa there dude. You're completely missing his entire question.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It is also worth pointing out that Japan's restrictions on immigration and citizenship are causing them a lot of domestic problems, even though they've been quite successful at keeping out the sorts of people they don't like.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to even keep this thread alive at this point, but since I was unavailable for most of its existence thus far, perhaps I should. There's lots of stuff through this thread than I would find unnecessarily inflammatory, accusatory, and ridiculously inconsiderate. I'm not sure if the thread can get past it -- if it reverts, I'll lock it.

If you (general) can discuss a topic without resorting to attack, feel free to discuss it. If you can't, please don't. And because communication in this medium loses a lot, please consider that hyperbole isn't always understood to be hyperbole, and even if it is that doesn't necessarily make it appropriate. Since there are people who have endeavored to make it clear that they mean what they say, even when it sounds hyperbolic, please consider that people may believe you mean exactly what you say.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Janitor:
Hate to even keep this thread alive at this point, but since I was unavailable for most of its existence thus far, perhaps I should. There's lots of stuff through this thread than I would find unnecessarily inflammatory, accusatory, and ridiculously inconsiderate. I'm not sure if the thread can get past it -- if it reverts, I'll lock it.

If you (general) can discuss a topic without resorting to attack, feel free to discuss it. If you can't, please don't. And because communication in this medium loses a lot, please consider that hyperbole isn't always understood to be hyperbole, and even if it is that doesn't necessarily make it appropriate. Since there are people who have endeavored to make it clear that they mean what they say, even when it sounds hyperbolic, please consider that people may believe you mean exactly what you say.

--PJ

QFT. And I strongly doubt it was merely hyperbole.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.