FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MARX BROS DUCK SOUP -- On stage for the first time ever!

Author Topic: MARX BROS DUCK SOUP -- On stage for the first time ever!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Hatrack,

So, I am currently working on a project unlike any that I have worked on before. I have helped adapt a classic, the Marx Bros. Duck Soup, for the stage. I am also playing in it. This will be great fun, and I wanted to let all of you know about so whoever is in the area could come see us perform! Here is a link to our poster and the press release:

--

Marx Brothers' Duck Soup

Directed by Russell McGee

Music Direction by Shani Wahrman

Choreography by Tom Slater

SEE THIS MUSICAL ON-STAGE FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!

SYNOPSIS

DUCK SOUP captures some of the Marx Brothers' zaniest routines and funniest quips, creating a laugh-out-loud spectacle of politics gone haywire. Backed by wealthy widow Mrs. Teasdale, Groucho becomes the leader of Freedonia, quickly frustrating his cabinet and offending the aggressive neighboring country to the point of war. Chico and Harpo, sent by the rival country, spy on Groucho and try to steal his battle plans, but when war does come, loyalties become muddled all around.

ABOUT THE MUSICAL

This musical has been adapted to the stage by Russell McGee, Hayden Moore, and Shani Wahrman. This stage adaptation includes scenes and music, which had been cut from the final film. This material was taken from two earlier drafts of the screenplay to make a live version of the musical possible to produce on stage. The additional material also gives context to cuts that were made that left dangling lines of dialogue such as Firefly stating that he would meet Mrs. Teasdale at the theatre but there is no theatre sequence in the final film. The audience will thus see Marx Brothers’ routines that never made the final cut and three songs that were dropped from the film.

ABOUT THE THEATRE

The
“Merry MAC Players” community theater is located at the Depot in Martinsville, Indiana. As a community theater, it is the goal of the Merry MAC Players to provide quality entertainment, opportunity, education and enrichment. The Merry MAC Players depend on the resources and talents of the local community and we hope that you join us as we celebrate, promote and perform the dramatic arts.

Performance Dates:

June 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28. The Friday and Saturday shows are at 8 p.m., with the Sunday shows at 2:00 p.m.

Reservations:
Contact Ruth Rusie at 765-342-3266

Tickets:
$ 10.00 advance purchase
$ 12.00 at the door
Doors open 30 minutes prior to the show. Seating is first come first serve.
All advance tickets not claimed 15 minutes prior to show will be released.

The Depot

210 North Marion Street Martinsville, Indiana 46151

www.merrymacplayers.com

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll be...I felt sure Duck Soup had been performed live by the Marx Brothers themselves, but not so.

I wish we could come to see it live. Too far to travel, alas.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.