FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So. Hawaii?

Author Topic: So. Hawaii?
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are thinking of taking a trip. It's been a stressful 18 months since our marriage (only the work, not the marriage!) and need a little getaway.

We were considering returning to Thailand (great food, great massage at equally cheap prices) but thought we might try something new.

There's some very cheap fares to Hawaii at the moment - just wondering how we'll cope, travelling on the Aussie dollar and all.

Is it expensive? How's the food? Can I go Scuba diving?

Above all, is it relaxing? Is it a nice place to go?

Is it worth the hassle of having to deal with the TSA?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's expensive, but I suspect the exchange rate is good.

The food is good.

Scuba is a yes.

Relaxing? Well, we have the best beaches in the world and our weather is always nice. Maui, Kauai or the Big Island will be more relaxing than the crowds of Oahu.

I don't think TSA is all that bad.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maui Babe, the input is appreciated!

Our dollar's not great against yours ($0.81 at this time) so the relative expensiveness is a factor.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawaii is the best place in the world. We lived there for 8 years in the 70s and get back as often as we can. Oahu's fun, but the other islands would be more relaxing. Exchange rate would be US vs AUS, so not in your favour, but prices are good so you can still get good deals.
Enjoy,

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

All this 'best in the world' is a pretty big call you know! [Wink]

I do come from Australia after all! [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Come to Detroit, your dollar will go further [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

From what I hear I could buy a house in Detroit for the cost of a Hawaiian holiday! [Wink]
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to put in a plug for West Virginia. Stunning. Not expensive. Very relaxing.

No scuba diving. [Frown]

Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Oahu may be more crowded than the others, but if you have any interest in the history of WWII, it is a must.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
All this 'best in the world' is a pretty big call you know!

I do come from Australia after all!
Unquote
-------------------------------------------------

Aah, Troubadour, but I'm from New Zealand, (and I've lived in Australia for two years) and NZ is better than Australia [Smile] , and Hawaii's better than both, so there you go!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to Oahu and stayed in the Turtle Bay Resort. I highly recommend it! We found it quiet and relaxing. We went to the Polynesian Cultural Center - a must! We also did some activities at Kualoa Ranch which were fun. We rented a car so we could drive around. We enjoyed eating in Waimea. I wish I could live in Hawaii thats how much we loved it!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Jamio:
I want to put in a plug for West Virginia. Stunning. Not expensive. Very relaxing.

No scuba diving. [Frown]

See, that's why Detroit makes so much sense. The Great Lakes have tons of Scuba opportunities. Though instead of coral reefs and brightly colored fish, you'll see shipwrecks! Which frankly I think is more exciting anyway. Plus no threat of sharks.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

No scuba diving. [Frown]

See, that's why Detroit makes so much sense. The Great Lakes have tons of Scuba opportunities. Though instead of coral reefs and brightly colored fish, you'll see shipwrecks! Which frankly I think is more exciting anyway. Plus no threat of sharks.
Maybe no sharks, but plenty risk of hypothermia. [Angst]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Or lead poisoning
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with Hawaii is mostly limited to Oahu. I think it depends on what you're interested in. Oahu will have more of the big cultural and historical attractions, such as Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, and the Bishop Museum.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

No scuba diving. [Frown]

Maybe no sharks, but plenty risk of hypothermia. [Angst]
Wusses! [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:
All this 'best in the world' is a pretty big call you know! [Wink]

I do come from Australia after all! [Big Grin]

I was going to say - I'm sure Hawaii is lovely, but the best beaches in the world??

(West Australian girl - I have high standards. Cottesloe , Rottnest , Broome , Esperance and Coral Bay are all in my home state.)

Still want to visit Hawaii, though. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.