FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to Hatrack, NobleHunter

Author Topic: Welcome to Hatrack, NobleHunter
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

You are entering in at a time when we seem to have a fair number of new folk, and I don't want you to get lost in the shuffle.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd love to learn a little more about you and what brought you here.

Welcome.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a quadruplet. Yes, really, I have three brothers my age. It seems completely normal to me, though I will answer any questions you might have.

I'm currently working on getting an MA in History, focusing on marriage in 18th century England. My Major Research Paper is about the controversy caused by Thelyphthora, which was written by Martin Madan. In it, he suggests polygamy as a solution to prostitution. Progress on that will correlate to how much I post.

I've been lurking over at Ornery for a few years, and I've been wandering over here for pop culture stuff. I posted here because I needed something to do after I finished my paper and I couldn't sleep. Also, I read OSC's reviews as they tend to be less odious than his political essays.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Smile]

Welcome to Hatrack NobleHunter [Wave]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
[Smile]

You are entering in at a time when we seem to have a fair number of new folk, and I don't want you to get lost in the shuffle.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd love to learn a little more about you and what brought you here.

Welcome.

Being welcomed by CT is an indication of awesomeness. Just sayin'. [Cool]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

It's better than Ornery where being welcomed is an indication of error.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, you're....possibly right, I don't know. Let's discuss it for ten or fifteen pages then thread drift away from the original point entirely. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NobleHunter:
I'm currently working on getting an MA in History, focusing on marriage in 18th century England. My Major Research Paper is about the controversy caused by Thelyphthora, which was written by Martin Madan. In it, he suggests polygamy as a solution to prostitution.

What a cool topic. I just finished Flora Fraser's biography of the daughters of George III, so I'd love to hear about other people having marriage issues at the time.

Was Madan before or after the Regency period?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Welcome to Hatrack, you're....possibly right, I don't know. Let's discuss it for ten or fifteen pages then thread drift away from the original point entirely. [Smile]

( [ROFL] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah metahumor blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

FTFY. [Wink]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome NobleHunter!

It's pretty cool around here

*gives high five*
[The Wave]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[Laugh]

[Wave] @ NobleHunter

Are y'all identical, fraternal, or a mixture?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

quote:
What a cool topic. I just finished Flora Fraser's biography of the daughters of George III, so I'd love to hear about other people having marriage issues at the time.

Was Madan before or after the Regency period?

One of the perils of being a social/cultural historian is that you don't really pick up on the minor political details, such as wars and kings. I had to look up when the Regency, but Madan is before. He was the chaplain at the Lock Hospital, before he published the treatise in 1781 (ish). He was promptly fired and slipped into obscurity.

As for my brothers and I, we are fraternal, thankfully. Having a bunch of people looking just like me - or acting! - is to horrifying to contemplate.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NobleHunter:
One of the perils of being a social/cultural historian is that you don't really pick up on the minor political details, such as wars and kings.

I've never heard George III's craziness described as a minor political detail before. [Smile]

His eldest daughter was born in 1866, but with his sister's marriage having ended in disaster, he wasn't keen on marrying his daughters off. So Madan's paper came out about the time she was getting frustrated at her lack of options.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but it's still an interesting one to me.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, NH! I have one question for you: what kind of ketchup do you use?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey NobleHunter! I'm working on my MA in History as well. I just finished my first semester and have not quite settled on what to do for my Thesis. I tend to gravitate towards intellectual/cultural history, but I'm unfortunately torn between pursuing more of a History of Science track or going with an emphasis on the French Revolution and Napoleon. If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying? I'm at FSU.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

Avid Reader,

I don't know if people were generally concerned with marriage at that point, and I think Madan was more worried about prostitution, which was the kind of problem getting the most attention.

ketchupqueen,

Regular Heinz ketchup, and I avoid the no-name stuff whenever possible.

Dr Strangelove,

I'm at Trent University, where I did my undergrad. Going for my MA was a last minute decision so I went for the easiest option. And which FSU? Wikipedia says there are 6 (technically 7 but I doubt you're in Jena).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good. I don't have to smite you.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Noblehunter. And I hear Hunt's is pretty good.

*waits for smiting*

*is unashamed of kink*

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

Thanks y'all for the welcome, it was real nice. This is probably the most I'll ever post.

(I blame the y'all on True Blood)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Welcome, Noblehunter. And I hear Hunt's is pretty good.

*waits for smiting*

*is unashamed of kink*

*smites with extreme prejudice (and the Ketchup of Righteousness}*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.