FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Haruhi Suzumiya Thread [ TIME LOOP IS OVAH!] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Haruhi Suzumiya Thread [ TIME LOOP IS OVAH!]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its really beginning to bug me, since we're only getting like an extra 10 episodes and half of them are going to be the bloody same episode again and again I'm pretty pissed.

Just ask her to help with your homework already.

edit:

YES!!!! ITS OVER! ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR OF MANKIND!

[ August 07, 2009, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like it's more fitting to an anime forum, Blayne.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?animeid=4382

Go there. It has the discussion you seek. You do seek discussion, yes?

Besides, not explaining what the heck you're talking about is just... a little bit problematic, don't you think? The lack of context and all...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, a serious question:

Why do you insist on making these threads? Many many people on this forum have told you very informatively and usually politely that your thread-making habits are poor and you are cluttering the front page with threads that, at best, are soundbites.

You continue to do it anyway even though people have told you over and over that these are bad threads.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

(edit: Never mind. Just a reiteration of my original point, and not needed anymore.)

[ July 11, 2009, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well to be fair he provided the creators name as well as the name of the anime for convenience obviously. All Blayne is really lacking is some context of the show/impressions about why he even watches it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Well to be fair he provided the creators name as well as the name of the anime for convenience obviously. All Blayne is really lacking is some context of the show/impressions about why he even watches it.

Indeed, obviously the context is something that people who probably already watch the show would get why would I nessasarily need to explain it for people who arent in the "In" crowd?

But for context remember the SG1 Episode Groundhog day? Now imagine if they only had one loop during the episode and was only implied to have looped several times and the characters get no memory of the loop.

Now imagine if they now have several episodes dedicated to this loop with only different clothing styles and slightly different but mostly the same dialogue each time.

They've done this for 5 episodes now and I am pissed.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
So do you intend not to answer my question, or do you consider that an answer to my question?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Blayne, a serious question:

Why do you insist on making these threads? Many many people on this forum have told you very informatively and usually politely that your thread-making habits are poor and you are cluttering the front page with threads that, at best, are soundbites.

You continue to do it anyway even though people have told you over and over that these are bad threads.

This is a discussion forum and discussion forums are for discussing things, theres alot of things I like to discuss if other people have undiagnosed OCD that forces themto click on every single thread for better or worse I don't quite see how I am responsible for causing them a sprained wrist.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Nobody's accusing you of spraining wrists. The thing is that threads do not have to be clicked on in order to have an impact. Your threads still take up space in the topic list and it just bugs people and gives people an impression of you as immature when a good amount of the threads you make over time (especially sometimes in concentrated points when you go on a bad thread spree) are topical dead-ends leading to a nonsensical, garbled one- or two-liner like this one. It's just poor behavior.

I think instead of excusing these bad threads to yourself, you should instead just stop making them, since they are, in fact, bad threads.

More important though is the mentality. You know that these threads annoy. Do you keep at them out of petulance, or do you really just not understand the impression they leave on the other posters?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

You know what, instead of making a new thread or something, I'll just dump this here.

To explain so anyone who cares will understand, though the link does so fairly well as well:

The 2006 series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was something of a hit overseas, as well as in certain geeky circles on this side of the Pacific, has finally recieved a second season, after three years of endless delays.

And, to begin with, this second season was brought in in the cheekiest way possible.

Now, a little context:

The original broadcast of this series was done in anarchic order. In other words, they were shown intentionally out of order, which had a very interesting effect, since the first story arc, which explained a lot of what was going on, was interspliced with multiple shorter, single episode stories that take place later, and assume you already know certain facts, some of which haven't yet been shown, since the actual episode from the first story arc that explains it hadn't happened yet.

As an example: The very first episode broadcast was, in fact, a student film the titular character, Haruhi Suzumiya, dragged her friends into making. This was shown with no context for the characters, or anything like it. The second episode was the chronological episode 1. Then you get episodes 2 and 3, which ends in a cliffhanger. Then you get the fourth episode, which is chronological episode 7, which takes place long after said cliffhanger, and in fact the entire main story arc, which ends in chronological episode 6.

And so on.

Now, what happened this year, after all those delays, was... a rerun of the first series, in chronological order! Which hadn't been done on air before.

However, they had an evil trick.

For season 2? Well, much of it is stuff they skipped over in the first season (the story is based on a number of novels, all of which are done in a different, also anarchic, order), so... they started showing everything in order, chronologically, interspersing second season episodes into this new chronological order, in the order they happened in the overall timeline.

A rather bold move, which I applaud them for, since I havent' seen anything quite so clever attempted before. In other words, by showing the series in chronological order, they mix up the order again in a way that is just as unpredictable as the first season, because you don't know beforehand where new season episodes fit, and how they change the context of the first season episodes.

However, this bold move has hit a snag.

For one of the stories was a groundhog day loop short story, in which the characters go through an endless summer vacation, going back to the beginning each time. (long story)

Well, while the original story was very short, the team creating the series had a bold, unprecedented, and stupidly brilliant idea: They'd take six episodes to tell the story. The first episode would be the first run through the endless summer. The second episode would be run through number 14,000-something, in which the characters realize something was wrong, but are unable to change it.

Episode 3 of the Endless Eight episode was largely the same. Episode 4, which aired just the other day, was once again, largely the same.

They spent the time to reanimate every episode brand new, adding new details, differing specifics of things like clothing and whatnot, did the voice acting all over again, did new camera angles, etc. They recreated each episode without reusing any of what they did in the previous episodes, making it all new each time.

This is, presumably, to get the point across that this summer really was, well, endless. By having us go through it over. And over. And over. And over.

This is, on the one hand, brilliant, and I applaud them for the sheer balls they show for this.

However, at the same time, they deserve to be fired for sheer stupidity.

Why is it stupid? Because this season is only 14 episodes long, and wasting 6 episodes on literally the same damn thing over and over... and over... and over... and over... and finally over again, is ridiculous.

Also: It's virtually the same thing each time, and that gets very boring, and will kill viewership out of sheer righteous frustration.

If I was their producer, I'd applaud them for the brilliance of it.

And then have them sacked.

---

As it is, I watch it in combined shock, horror, fascination, and admiration.

I watch it as an experiment. Now, the real question is: Will I buy it, as I did the first season?

Well, that depends. If they put this all on one dvd, I'll feel no sadness in buying it, and then forcing my step brother to watch the entire thing, as revenge for some petty slight.

Like when I forced him to watch two girls, one cup.

Heh heh heh...

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Or, should I put this in a separate thread? Samp, opinion?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But for context remember the SG1 Episode Groundhog day?
No.

Window Of Opportunity is my favorite though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
You know what, instead of making a new thread or something, I'll just dump this here.
Snip for length

Why would you make an entirely different thread for something that I already made a thread for, how does that make ANY sense whatsoever and in what dimension does it make sense in?

Brilliant, driving me and half the anime world crazy and crazy awesome but its still pissing me off for effectively wasting 4-5 episodes I don't begrudge them for the first episode, or the one to SHOW they're in a loop but they should have ended it in the third.

OR make the 4 to 5 looping episodes ONE episode SHOWING the loop back and forth.

Now I will totally forgive them for this if and only if we get EXTRA episodes out of this, I very nearly didn't watch the episodes because I accidentally at first thought I had the wrong episode.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
But for context remember the SG1 Episode Groundhog day?
No.

Window Of Opportunity is my favorite though.

Thats the episode I was thinking of, my thread told me the wrong name for the episode.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

"Why would you make an entirely different thread for something that I already made a thread for, how does that make ANY sense whatsoever and in what dimension does it make sense in?"

Because I would expect more people to read it.

Also, this thread's title, and your words through the beginning, give no explanation, really, to even what you're talking about, or do so poorly enough that, really, nobody who didn't already know would understand that it was anything other than "some Blayne thing."

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
"Why would you make an entirely different thread for something that I already made a thread for, how does that make ANY sense whatsoever and in what dimension does it make sense in?"

Because I would expect more people to read it.

Also, this thread's title, and your words through the beginning, give no explanation, really, to even what you're talking about, or do so poorly enough that, really, nobody who didn't already know would understand that it was anything other than "some Blayne thing."

And why would anyone not familiar with anime read a thread regardless of how well detailed it is?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
And why would anyone not familiar with anime read a thread regardless of how well detailed it is?
Tell me you at least understand why his complaint still registers even if the topic causes self-selection only of people familiar with anime.

Case in point: I'm familiar with anime, your thread still sucks.

quote:
Or, should I put this in a separate thread? Samp, opinion?

In forums where there is effectively no quality regulation of threads I actually encourage the jack and re-rail.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Re-railing?

What do I look like, a railway worker? [Big Grin]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

"And why would anyone not familiar with anime read a thread regardless of how well detailed it is? "

Well, first: This is a thread created by Blayne Bradley. Now, I don't think you're a bad guy or anything, but you do have a small bit of reputation which would keep some people from looking at the thread, that wouldn't keep many of those same people from potentially looking at a thread I made of the same subject.

Second: In addition, the manner of creation of this thread made it much harder than it could have been, even by a thread by you, through it's (formerly more) vague title, and it's even more vague, unclear, and rather childish first post.

Third: By writing a better thread title, giving a more thoughtful and thorough opening post, asking people's opinions, providing links, and being considerate enough to help people to understand what the heck is actually being talked about, which is nigh impossible in the current OP without already knowing everything about it beforehand, I would attract better discussion. Or, alternately, my thread might die in peace, without any grief from anyone.

Furthermore, you miss the point by mentioning that non-anime fans wouldn't care to respond.

Of course they wouldn't. Duh. That was already part of the consideration.

However, a goodly number of people either easily interested, or already anime fans, which is not THAT small, would respond if addressed in a courteous manner, who would instead ignore a thread if it was inviting interesting discussion, as the OP really, really isn't.

Thus, you miss the entire point of what I was saying, attack me with a nonsequitor, (non-anime fans have nothing to do with this discussion, nor did I ever say so. So saying so makes no more sense than saying "well, aliens, time travelers and espers won't read it even if you were to mention it instead of me, so what the heck is your point?")

Furthermore, perhaps I was not the most courteous to you, but maybe you could actually respond to the effort I DID make, in discussing my opinions on the episode, now.

You did want discussion, right? I GAVE you some. So, let's discuss, darn it!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was distracted.

But i thought I did respond with some discussion.

"Brilliant, driving me and half the anime world crazy and crazy awesome but its still pissing me off for effectively wasting 4-5 episodes I don't begrudge them for the first episode, or the one to SHOW they're in a loop but they should have ended it in the third.

OR make the 4 to 5 looping episodes ONE episode SHOWING the loop back and forth.

Now I will totally forgive them for this if and only if we get EXTRA episodes out of this, I very nearly didn't watch the episodes because I accidentally at first thought I had the wrong episode. "

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Oh, yes.

Well, I doubt it at this point.

After all, they spent all that time and energy recreating every single episode from scratch.

We only get 14 eps, sadly.

I suppose you wont be able to forgive them, then. Pity, I guess.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
This is a discussion forum and discussion forums are for discussing things, theres alot of things I like to discuss if other people have undiagnosed OCD that forces them to click on every single thread for better or worse I don't quite see how I am responsible for causing them a sprained wrist.

Justifying your socially unacceptable behaviors by suggesting faults in others, and avoiding responsibility for the problems you yourself have caused, is a pretty clear sign of narcissism.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Probably.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Justifying your socially unacceptable behaviors by suggesting faults in others, and avoiding responsibility for the problems you yourself have caused, is a pretty clear sign of narcissism.
Or at least a pretty clear sign that you are human.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I recognize too much of this kind of thinking in Blayne to mistake it for anything other than a problem he and I share, somewhat above the norm for an ordinary person.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

New episode, another episode without Kyon asking Haruhi to do his homework for him, which is a totally "I called it" moment when the first loop started as I havent read the novels and figured that the loop would end if Haruhi would have something else to do to spend time with Kyon OR

OR OR OR if you believe the alternative theory where its Kyon whose the God which is a theory I rather like as its fits almost perfectly Kyon actually does want to do his homework and keeps looping time so he has a chance to do it but never does.

Come to think of it though I do like the artistic side of this as it forces us into Nagato's viewpoint of having gone through 600 years of this and explains her sanity snapping later damn you tv tropes for spoiling me.

But in terms though of pleasing the fanbase and whether this was a good money making venture... eehhh... huge mistake that if it works out will be do to luck and dedicated fans for each episode of the endless 8 they should have added an extra episode to make up for it.

Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
New episode, another episode without Kyon asking Haruhi to do his homework for him, which is a totally "I called it" moment when the first loop started...

I think we all saw that coming.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Not nessasarily, I dont think "everyone" would know its specifically doing his homework would end the loop unless you read the light novels. Its foreshadowed yes.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely, Blayne, this thread had a Groundhog Day-ish feel for me, as it strongly recalled the last Suzumiya Haruhi thread you made when you were complaining about the non-linearity of it. [Smile]

I haven't watched season two, yet. I doubt I will, based on the comments in this thread from you and 0Megabyte.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh no, its worth watching all at once for the artistic feel of it, its a PAIN to watch if your waiting on each episode each week. You know the difference? One episode had alot of nice fanservice to it.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I'm assuming you're referring to the female variety?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

if you mean female fanservice aimed at young males then yes. I think at one point Haruhi presses her chest against Kyon's back during the bike scene.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Another loop, I think this is the second to last one, poor Yuki.

Just me but do things make MORE sense reading the genderflipped version?

[ July 24, 2009, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've taken to reading the light novels and I must say I am very much enjoying them, they are a fun read.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Although while I only take what Encyclopedia Dramatica says with mountainous piles of salt one thing they said does make me concerned, something about haruhi anime not having the disappearance arc or something?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Heh. Take it with a pillar of salt.

Blayne, you're actually going to make me break down and watch this. But not for the fan service; I'm not a fan of the boobs.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh no the show has surprisingly little fanservice, there's a scene in the second episode which invokes a bit of les yay but it quickly dies down and dissapears.

From TV Tropes.

quote:

"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come join me. That is all."

An anime series based on parts of the novels was released in 2006, entitled The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu) after the first novel. Cries for a second season seemingly went unanswered until mid-2009, when several brand-new episodes unexpectedly popped up in the middle of a supposed re-run of the first season (this time done in chronological order). These new episodes constitute the "second season", and are interspersed among the old episodes according to where they chronologically belong in the plot.

There is also a self-parody gag anime released on You Tube called The Melancholy Of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒちゃんの憂鬱, Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuuutsu) based off an official self-parody manga; this aired in tandem with a spinoff, Nyoron Churuya-san (にょろーん☆ちゅるやさん), based off a certain Yonkoma that's been subject to Memetic Mutation.

The first novel is available in English from your local online bookseller; the translation project for the novels can be found here, to get you up to speed on the rest. There is also a manga adaptation by Gaku Tsugano (there was an earlier adaptation by Makoto Mizuno that was discontinued/disowned after one volume).

Haruhi Suzumiya is a first year high school student (equivalent to 10th grade or sophomore year in the USA) who's considered beautiful, athletic, intelligent, and extremely eccentric. Haruhi has come to the conclusion that ordinary humans are, as a whole, utterly boring, and that she would rather hang out with aliens, time travellers, espers, and the like. In her quest to find them, she promptly joins all the clubs in school for exactly one day... and quits them all just as rapidly. One day, her classmate Kyon (the Narrator) unwittingly gives Haruhi an idea: if there aren't any decent clubs, why not make one of your own?

Haruhi instantly switches from an irritated, sociopathic, pompous brat to an irritating, sociopathic Genki Girl who vows to allow nothing to stand in her way. She conscripts Kyon to help her set up the club: the S.O.S. Brigade, whose mission is to find aliens, time travellers, and espers, and have fun with them. Kyon quickly learns an explosive secret that must be kept from Haruhi at all costs, the details of which must be seen to be believed.

The story is notable for having no definite genre — It convincingly uses comedy, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, romance and Slice Of Life in one of the most typical anime settings: An ordinary high school, all the while with well-developed Genre Savvy characters. If the length of this page is any indication, the anime in its first season became such a hit that it spawned unthinkable levels of praise (often said to be wildly exaggerated), a cash-cow of a franchise across the globe, and made Kyoto Animation a household name for anyone who watches anime.

The novels vary between several short stories and one story of several chapters, and have their differences from the anime. Usually because of the time limit the anime has, it compresses Kyon's narration process as well as the romantic focus and the character insight one would usually get from the novels, at the cost of saving comedy and the plot. While the plot alone is interesting, it leaves many actions and motives to the interpretation of the reader (often triggered by Kyon being an Unreliable Narrator), which makes you think about it long after you finish the book. However, the realistic Character Development of the Brigade members is also impressive.

If you check out the impressively big character sheet, please beware of spoilers, even if you've finished the anime.

The S.O.S. Brigade is made up of five members that represent a spectrum of anime character types, both in their identities as high school students and their secret identities...

Then there's the gender-flipped version, called The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a fan creation that serves to tell what the universe would be like if all the male characters were female and vice-versa.

I fully recommend the Light Novels which can be found online, the anime does a shockingly good job at making haruhi seems less like an asshole and more like a jerk with a heart of gold.

All anime has fanservice, I don't specifically go out of my way to watch Haruhi for it though, I actually went to see it originally expecting it to be about a high school music club. Hilarity Ensued.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I prefer a High School Host Club. [Smile]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I will absolutely love it if they ever introduce a "Slider" character to the show, I want Kyonko! She's awesome!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Looped for the 7th time and Im this close to running head first into a brick wall, but well "Endless 8" so hopefully 8th time is the charm.

I cannot believe they would waste 8 episodes out of maybe 9 or 10 new ones on this, theyre had better be a 10th novel out soon and a 3rd or proper second season.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

You know, you can demand whatever you want, but they're the ones who're making it, not you, Blayne.

I believe Niel Gaiman once said, to people compaining about another author not finishing the story the fans wanted him to finish as soon as they wanted him to, to knock it off. He was saying they had no right to demand of him to write what they wanted, just because they wanted it.

Or something of that effect. I can't recall the link.

Nevertheless, KyoAni can do what they want with their show, even if it's a mistake.

I still think it's a brilliant, as well as stupid, move. Yes, it's both clever and dumb. Or dumb especially BECAUSE it's so clever.

Either way, you don't have to watch it, Blayne.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

We'd like to warn everyone that, due to the dangers of time loops caused by narcissistic teenagers who don't want to go back to school, the United States time paradox threat level has been raised to level ORANGE.

We advise that all students finish their summer homework, avoid narcisistic reality warpers, and stay indoors whenever possible to avoid the effects of getting trapped in an endless time loop.

Since it is now August, the threat has increased exponentially, as time warp season has finally begun, yet again.

We do not want to have to do the time warp again, do we?

"Let's do the time warp again." I think not.

In addition, try not to shoot random people, or else you might receive calls from your son's commanding officer from the future, informing you that you caused a time paradox, Snake.

Furthermore, if you are currently in space, be especially wary if all of this has happened before. If this is the case, expect it all to happen again very shortly.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

For one your not making any or much sense in the second post.

For two, I can gripe however I want and demand futilely into the wind however I want.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Sigh.

Do you have any sense of humor at all, Blayne?

I thought someone geeky like you would get the numerous humorous references, if anyone would.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be very surprised if Blayne were familiar with Rocky Horror.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Tony Rocky Horror? You mean that fat Samoan dude?

I mean, not fat, the guy's got a weight problem but what's he supposed to do, he's Samoan.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I would be very surprised if Blayne were familiar with Rocky Horror.

Isn't that from... the 80's or something?
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
I prefer a High School Host Club. [Smile]

I finished watching it two weeks ago and loved it which is odd since romance/comedy, specifically reverse harem (admittedly a very light hearted one), is not a genre that I generally associate with. It's rather out-of-place on my list though, to be fair, I haven't really watched very much anime yet. I plan on watching Excel Saga after finishing some more of the darker entries on my plan-to-watch list.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Isn't that from... the 80's or something?
1975, but don't worry, it's the kind of pretentious hipster ejecta that it is already becoming cool not to like, as it has long been adopted by the pseudo-scenester wannabe high school drama nerds, leading to the inevitable double hipster backlash. Needless to say it is better avoided, as it is in all actuality a tedious and incomprehensible pile of excrement that is too bad to watch alone, and too grave a social statement to watch with friends.

It's one of those weird pieces of Americana that teeter precariously between "so bad it's good," and "so bad it's awful," with successive generations of impressionable teens being confused as to whether they are meant to love it for its representation of all that is wrong in art, or because it actually *is* art.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Tom:

True, (even evidence, now!) but what about Metal Gear Solid 3 and Battlestar Galactica references?

Incidentally, the only way to watch Rocky Horror is in the theater. Luckily, a theater near where I live plays it from time to time.

So much fun.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.