FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heading in a Weird Direction- suggestions and opinions welcome :D

Author Topic: Heading in a Weird Direction- suggestions and opinions welcome :D
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this started today after an afternoon of sight-seeing on Bastille day in Paris. I'm here for two weeks just hanging out, and it's been pretty darn relaxing so far.

The real question is what kind of piece is this, where is going, and how do I get it to go there? When you hear it, what do you expect? What is your vision for it? Where does it seem to be leading you? I need a bit more insight than what I have already gleaned, which is that I like the way it sounds.

[ July 14, 2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
The link's not working for me.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Let me check on it.

Ok, problem with the file extension when I uploaded. I usually check the file, must have forgotten this time. It works now.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for me it sounds like background music for a machinist's hallucination. It seems kind of ambient and metallic at the same time. Reminds me of traffic but less chaotic and more structured; it's the sound of an assembly line whistling to itself as it drives by.

It doesn't generate for me any expectation or tension, though. (Which is kind of why I say it sounds ambient.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Weird that I was watching "who killed the electric car" the night before I made this.

That and I was walking around in Paris 15 last night, at around 10:30, when Paris has that beautiful preternatural twilight, and the metro's elevated platforms take on that look of toy trains, or fake scaled down set pieces, owing to the lighting being so perfect. I'll say, Prague is a beautiful city, but the way light works in Paris is hard to beat- Prague is too spread out to make an impression in contrast the way Paris does in the evenings.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

It doesn't generate for me any expectation or tension, though. (Which is kind of why I say it sounds ambient.)

I must say I've been shying more and more away from tension and release based structure over the past year. I don't know why, but every time I try to build a theme or a movement in that sense, I always start banging my head against the wall and feeling childish and corny. My music has structure, but it's never had the kind of ABA1 structure I learned in school- not even my string quartet really had that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.