FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medicare efficiency question

Author Topic: Medicare efficiency question
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Bill Moyers talk with an insurance insider and I came across this part of the article:

quote:
WENDELL POTTER: The industry doesn't want to have any competitor. In fact, over the course of the last few years, has been shrinking the number of competitors through a lot of acquisitions and mergers. So first of all, they don't want any more competition period. They certainly don't want it from a government plan that might be operating more efficiently than they are, that they operate. The Medicare program that we have here is a government-run program that has administrative expenses that are like three percent or so.

BILL MOYERS: Compared to the industry's--

WENDELL POTTER: They spend about 20 cents of every premium dollar on overhead, which is administrative expense or profit. So they don't want to compete against a more efficient competitor.

I have family who have worked both in hospitals and with finding care for elderly individuals through either in home nurses or assisted living facilities.

I have always heard that Medicare is very inefficient. There is lots of red tape, waste, and it is an example of how government run health care would be broken.

But this quote shows that there is only 3% administrative cost with Medicare compared to 20% in private insurance companies.

Can anyone verify those figures or discuss them? I would like to learn more.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Heritage - Medicare costs
As with most numbers, they are fudged on both sides so we really don't know what is the true cost.

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.