FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buying a digital camera for the elderly

Author Topic: Buying a digital camera for the elderly
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Any advice on a specific camera to buy for an elderly fellow with parkinson's? I'm okay with buying a regular camera for myself, but I have no idea on what specifics might make one camera better over another for this specific instance. I'd think shutter speed would be the biggest factor in a clearer image (but then, I don't really know what I'm talking about).

We're worried that his shaking hands might lead to blurry images, so we want something that'll accommodate for that.

He's dead set on something with a touch screen on it, as my grandpa is enamored with the newest technology available, even if he has no idea how to use it. I think I could talk him out of it if there was an easier option, and ease of use is the biggest issue. He needs a camera that will make up for his shaking hands, and that he can navigate very, very easily. Other than reviewing and deleting images, I don't imagine he'll use any of the special features, so I don't care about any of that.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my mom a camera recently, at BestBuy I found one thats a little bigger than usual so it was easier to hold. The camera also uses disposable batteries so she doesnt have to worry about charging it. I would discourage the touch screen, just because of the price for something that basically makes it harder to keep up, but I whole-heartedly suggest getting a digital picture frame to go with it, especially one that has an SD slot, I know my mom appreciates not having to go through the computer to put the pictures in the frame. And theres a wide variety of touch-screen digital frames too.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
You could teach him to always use it on shutter priority mode. This is usually indicated by "S" or "Tv" on the dial. Then just leave the shutter speed set to something somewhat fast, like maybe 1/200 or faster. The camera will then adjust aperture and ISO to make a correct exposure with the fast shutter. As far as he is concerned it would still be fully automatic.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
You can experiment with cameras that have image stabilization, many Canon and Sony cameras I think. I don't know if they're designed for quite this use, but its worth a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything beyond point and click is really beyond him. I've given up on showing him how to use his laptop, even after making little videos that explain how to do something that he can watch as many times as he needs. Anything other than pointing the camera at something and snapping the shot, and zoom, is never going to stick, and it'll frustrate him.

Mucus -

Thanks, that's what we're looking at now. The Nikon Coolpix line has what looks like a nice image stabilization feature on it, and after playing with it in the store he seems to really like it. Unless people have bad things to say about Nikons, we're headed in that direction.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me two years to get my grandma to remember, the green button is to answer the phone and red to hang up. Imagine if I told her it was a calculator and scheduler to boot.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite proud of teaching my nana how to use the camera on her phone.

Of course, I was then subjected to the pictures.

I'd go for the Nikon, especially if he's used it and still likes it.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.