FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV shows online

Author Topic: TV shows online
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A few onths ago someone linked to a GREAT sie that had a TON of TV shows online for viewers to watch.

I can;t remember the site now.

Any ideas? I have a friend wanting to watch The Scarecrow and Mrs. King (don't ask me why), and I can't remember the site.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
hulu.com?
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hulu is one. There's another that's all classic television, and I'm unfortunately not finding it in my bookmarks but I do remember seeing it posted.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
YouTube has The Addams Family along with many others.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking legal sites or illegal?

Legally, the only sites that come to mind are Hulu, and the various TV stations own websites.

Illegally, I don't think we're allowed to post, but I can think of three of four sites that have huge catalogs of shows, and I could link you if you email me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It wasn't hulu.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
If it wasn't Hulu, it probably either wasn't legal or had fewer shows than Hulu has.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, fanpop? It's mostly a collection of links, and has been steadily declining in usefulness since Hulu came on the scene, but I think it's legal, at least in and of itself.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I had every old show I tried to look up, one of the largest databases I have ever seen.

It's freaking driving me nuts. [Big Grin]

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
AOL?

I know what you are thinking but AOL has hulu, ABC TV.com content all in one.

Plus it has Scarecrow and Mrs. King

I win

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Surf the channel?

or

Cast TV?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

nope, none of those....but I have now bookmarked this thread, because those sites are great. [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought we weren't supposed to post links to sites like Surf the channel.

Or at least, I was under the impression that OSC had in the past requested that we not, and that PJ had enforced that request.

But if that's changed, I have a few more sites to add to the list.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, do you know why they requested that we not? Are these sites illegal for some reason? And if they are, how would we know? I'm a total novice when it comes to this.
~Sala

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite frankly, I do not think sites like [Censored] should be legal. They say "oh, we aren't HOSTING the illegal content, we're just a free site where people can post links wiki style... it's not our responsibility if people use that freedom to link to an absurdly huge number of illegal things... wink wink".

Yeah, right. I do use [Censored] cause, well, it's ludicrously convenient and I'm weak, but I don't pretend it's legal or ethical.

[ July 27, 2009, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
Lyrhawn, do you know why they requested that we not? Are these sites illegal for some reason? And if they are, how would we know? I'm a total novice when it comes to this.
~Sala

I believe the reason is because they host linked sites to illegal content. Most of the links are to offshore webhosts, generally in China, where there are no protections against illegally posting these videos.

Surf the channel and sites like it get by this by posting links to these sites, rather than hosting themselves, and then pretending they have nothing to do with linked content whatsoever.

If it's not in the public domain, if you aren't paying for it, and if you aren't on the site of the owner of the material, chances are you're viewing it illegally.

I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong, or whether you should or shouldn't do it, I'm just saying that's why it's been requested that this not be posted here in the past.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
If the sites are linking to other sites which are providing these shows without the permission of the copyright holders (or providing the shows themselves without said permission), please do not link them here. I know hulu gets its permissions -- I don't know about the others. I'd appreciate it if, regardless of your own opinions on the subject, you would follow the request of your hosts here and remove inappropriate links.

Thanks,
PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

Yeah, right. I do use Surf the Channel cause, well, it's ludicrously convenient and I'm weak

Yeah, well, be quiet then.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.