FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne's Anime Review&Discussion Megathread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blayne's Anime Review&Discussion Megathread
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hrrm, okay so I'm watching Full Metal Panic and is it just me or did Mithril commit like 3-4 separate acts of war against the Soviet Union in under like.... 2 months as a false flag operation to boot pretending to be some United Nations task force, a task force that to my understanding would need to be permitted by the UNSC and the UN Military Staff Committee, the latter hasn't met or had a single meeting since 1947 and the former... well one of them members IS the Soviet Union who most certaintly would not appreciate an armed incursion within their borders without permission in a blatant violation of their sovereignty.

Whats the use of the largest stockpile of nuclear warheads and active ICBMs if you dont use them as a deterrent to prevent this bullshit?

heck, where was the USSRs bloody SAM defence system when the VTOL aircraft and two really large transport planes outright flew in and landed at a Soviet airbase!?

Gah!? 2060's as well with the Soviet Union allegedly fully funding its R&D and military industrial complex to boot, this scenario makes LITTLE sense.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I AM IN DESPAIR?! THE WORLD IS MAKING ME DESPAIR!?
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'M in despair! overinflated fanboys who discover formerly funny memes two years late are leaving me in despair!
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Incorrect, its called Mementic Mutation. And its still funny. If you didn't want me latching onto it now then you should've made sure to get me hooked onto the anime two years ago.

For reference to those who don't understand, the anime the quote is from is "Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei" or "Goodbye, Mr Despair" its hilarious and kinda has that "triped out on drugs" look some earlier tim burtonesque cartoons had.

Basically the teacher Nomori Itshuki is depressed, the world has left him depressed. And wants to hang him and almost does it until interrupted by a yandere genki girl who quickly complicates the matter and it turns out is his student in the homeroom class he teachers.

And it turns out everyone else in his class is psychotic and crazy from depressed attention seeker at "best" to...... well yandere "one day goin' snap and murder everyone" genki girl.

Has a hilarious shoutout to Death Note its blink and you'll miss it where Yogami actually signed the teachers name into it but Didn't succeed in keeping him dead!

Hilarious.

Oh and the teacher has a stalker.

~jiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Slightely annoying that I have to pass about every 10 seconds to catch the background snark.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. Tripe on drugs would be pretty horrifying.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

tripped?
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Blayne:

Here's the thing. It's two years old, we (by we I mean the anime community who keeps with the times) have heard it, then we heard it overused, and now it's tired and old.

Yes, it's a meme. But there's also such a thing as an overused gag, and the despair speech has definitely become overused.

I can think of another overused running gag, and incidentally it consists of your constant reference to tvtropes as your Bible. .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

except do a gag long enough it comes full circle and is funny again, y'know crossing the line twice.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

You're referencing the wrong concept.

And though I threw lots of snark in my last post, I was also being serious.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You cant have your cake and eat it too.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I'm not.

I'm just pointing out, in the language I figured you'd know best, what you keep doing.

It isn't working, obviously, as you haven't learned enough decency to ever say "oh, sorry about that." No, instead you argue even the stupidest minutia, even if it's with an 11 year old.

And the worst thing? You're usually WRONG about the minutia, too!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"decency"!? **** off.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

How funny that it's the word decency that pisses you off most. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention anime usually shies away from the f-bomb.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade: That's mostly because there isn't a comparable word in Japanese. Words that have the same literal meaning don't have nearly the same connotative meaning (which is usually why "the f-bomb" is used). Indeed, anime uses Japanese cuss words all the time, with one notable exception (the one really, really dirty word in the Japanese language -- which does have an approximate equivalent in English, that is also usually avoided).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu13: I'm well aware there is no direct translation for that word in Japanese, there isn't one in Chinese either. Anime uses cuss words, it's true, I know alot of them, but the f-word is different in that you don't really hear them saying something to the effect, "That is so effing annoying." That type of word does not exist in Chinese or Japanese as far as I have seen.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
You cant have your cake and eat it too.

No you can't. The cake is a lie. ::rim-shot::
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
... "That is so effing annoying." That type of word does not exist in Chinese or Japanese as far as I have seen.

Well, maybe not in Mandarin. I think Mandarin swearing is pretty limited, possibly due to its use as the language of the court (but thats just my theory) In Cantonese, there is a character that is a pretty good translation. It gets pretty decent use too.

Diu (Cantonese)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Indency! I am in despair! Indency on forums has left me in despair!
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, sometime I forget how awesome Cowboy Bebop is.

I mean, sure it's overrated (or atleast overachieved) but still.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I saw the movie for it, it was pretty nifty, I totally see how Keanu Reeves could do the role, they're almost the same person.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree (on reeves)
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
... "That is so effing annoying." That type of word does not exist in Chinese or Japanese as far as I have seen.

Well, maybe not in Mandarin. I think Mandarin swearing is pretty limited, possibly due to its use as the language of the court (but thats just my theory) In Cantonese, there is a character that is a pretty good translation. It gets pretty decent use too.

Diu (Cantonese)

I've actually used Diu and heard it used numerous times, I'd forgotten about it. But it's still not used exactly as F***. You can use it say F*** you but strictly speaking, there's no literal way I've seen for F*** off or F***ing morons. I've always gotten the impression that the Cantonese came up with Diu after they encountered English and wanted to have an equivalent word. I think Cantonese culture lends itself more to boisterous, frank, and rude manners of speaking, not trying to be disparaging, I love Cantonese culture. But in anime, and perhaps I just need to see more shows (I doubt my wife would agree with that assertion) colorful language isn't really that much of a feature. It seems like in those shows the swearing is mostly constrained to the equivalent of "Damn it!" or "Shit!" I feel like in Japanese culture, swearing alot makes you less intelligent and therefore less enjoyable to readership/viewership. In English we go in the other direction where we try to find eloquent and off the wall ways to swear, thus making people laugh at the contradiction. Quintin Tarantino films frequently employ this device.

In mandarin,

滾開 is almost always rendered in English as "F*** off!" But literally it means "roll away." The phrase has just become generally understood as the rudest way to get somebody to go away. As a missionary I don't think it was used on me once, that's how rude it is. It's slightly less offensive cousin 走開 is usually translated as, "Get lost."

I remember watching Kung Fu Hustle and one of the characters says something like, "My name is X and don't you forget it!" For some reason the subtitle writer decided that since the line is said aggressively that it ought to be stated "My name is X and don''t you F***ing forget it!"

Swearing just doesn't feel as developed in Chinese as it does in English. Also, with this post I think I broke my record for swears in a post, which previously sat at 1, to 12.

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
I think Cantonese culture lends itself more to boisterous, frank, and rude manners of speaking, not trying to be disparaging, I love Cantonese culture.

*shrug* I think its true. Cantonese is definitely much less politically correct and more developed in terms of swearing. I am told that many of the dialects of Chinese are actually much more developed in swearing than Mandarin, with few sounding more flowery.

quote:
滾開 is almost always rendered in English as "F*** off!" But literally it means "roll away." The phrase has just become generally understood as the rudest way to get somebody to go away.
We have that too. The quickest example that comes to my mind is in Stephen Chow's God of Cookery, in the intro several variants of that are used.

quote:
I remember watching Kung Fu Hustle and one of the characters says something like, "My name is X and don't you forget it!" For some reason the subtitle writer decided that since the line is said aggressively that it ought to be stated "My name is X and don''t you F***ing forget it!"
Hmmm, it depends. I can't remember for Kung Fu Hustle exactly, but Stephen Chow's films were always filmed in Cantonese first and then translated via subtitles to English. Mandarin is also a translation from Cantonese, but we've watched his movies and the traditional subtitles don't always match the simplified subtitles.

In other words, the English subtitles might actually be more correct in this rare instance since swearing is often stripped out when going from Cantonese to Mandarin.

quote:
Swearing just doesn't feel as developed in Chinese as it does in English.
Hmmm, I don't think so.
I think watching any early period Stephen Chow film would quickly disabuse one of this notion. There are a great many Cantonese swears which have no valid mapping in English and thus get crammed either into sh** or fu** when translated.

Swearing is a pretty natural development since much of Cantonese comedy is based on wordplay with a lower emphasis on slapstick as in the West.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Also, for the group as a whole, this is amusing viewing with a short section on Diu in the second half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYRQkmVifg

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Thats almost a scene from a novel.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh man just me randomly flipping through the Umineko no naku koro ni manga but it seems even crazier then the anime.

[ November 03, 2009, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

...I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to do that, Blayne.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

[Confused] No law against it in Canada.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

It's called the user agreement, Blayne. You had to agree to it to become a member of Hatrack.

To reiterate:

"You agree, through your use of this service... not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB."

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I really really really want to see a fight between Akagi and Yami Yugi in Mahjong, through in that Saki girl from that other mahjong anime as well.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if this has been mentioned already but there are plans to remake Akira into a live-action film. It should be good, I remember the first 10 minutes of Akira to be some of the best I have ever seen in cinema.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

oh Akira, for a second I thought I saw "Akagi", akira is the scifi mind screw thriller right?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Anime's I've finished watching:

Kannagi (3.5/5) Not epic, not bad, but alright.
Gai Rei Zero (4.5/5) Pretty good.
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni (4/5) Good adaption but obviously has its own issues.
Higurashi (4.5/5) Awesome but has pacing issues.
Genshiken (5/5) Entertaining, has english dialogue, and captures the Otaku life beautifully.
Halo Legends (5/5) Tis' Halo how can I not give it a perfect score?
Full Metal Panic (4/5) Great anime but has a few disbelief issues.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
I dunno if this has been mentioned already but there are plans to remake Akira into a live-action film. It should be good, I remember the first 10 minutes of Akira to be some of the best I have ever seen in cinema.

I don't know. I just read they cast Leonardo DiCRAPIO (see what I did there?) in the film. If it has him I will probably not watch it. I have bad memories of Dragonball: Evolution

Edit: He is producing the film, not acting in it. If you had the choice who would you cast as Tetsuo and Kaneda?

I'd cast:

Kaneda: Channing Tatum (Just because I know he could act like a total bad-a$$)

Tetsuo: Joseph Gordon Levitt

[ March 26, 2010, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Geraine ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I actually like Leonardo as an actor quite a bit. I think Akira was a phenomenal development in terms of bringing anime to a feature movie level. It was the natural expression of art given a good hefty budget. It was a shock to Americans who had largely never seen an animated format deal with such mature themes. The setting was relatively unconventional and interesting.

The plot started out intriguing, but throughout the movie and until the very end it was a slowly unraveling train wreck. A train wreck carrying a cargo of garbage.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Never seen Akira but I think there were a few older ones who did a good job, Akira tends to be the introduction to more mature anime.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

...yes, that's what he said.

Anyway, woo hoo, the return of the anime thread.

I finally got a copy of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Pretty good, when I can actually watch it in order. What do you guys think about it?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I like the Russian opening theme.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I'm sure you would.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

currently watching Durarara!! which is I think one of the best serious anime's I've seen, easily up there with Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Haruhi Suzumiya as the top 5 anime's of all time hands down.

Durarara has an ALL-STAR cast so its like watching Light Yogami whose best friends with Shouta Hikasa from Battle Royale II on cordial terms with Mr. Despair whose being chased by an angry Itsuki Kuzuimi Wildy and Coyote fashion with Leleuch vi Britannia fallen in love with Xia Yu Lan and thats ONLY A HANDFULL OF THE MAIN CAST WOOOOT! SQUEEE!

And then there's the premise (as if the seiyu's weren't already enough to get every Otaku ever to watch) which is some kind of blender mix of rule of cool meets slice of life meets irish folktale basically a irish headless horsewoman lost her head (literally!) and thus lost her memories (though still knows what she is, who she is, and what she does and what her powers are and what they can do) and journeys to Japan to find her head.

What makes this awesome is how they handled this and having a huge cast of characters by presenting with great detail that every one of the main characters are yes in turn their own character with their own lives and friends who coincidentily meet each other in the city and through these coincidences drive the plot (or is it?) kinda like in Heroes except they manage to fit a lot more action and character interactions in a single half hour episode then Heroes does.

Like yes we have our sorta fantasy element in a setting that is otherwise very much grounded in reality and realism but it works so well it lives and breathes this show I get the distinct impression that everyone is 'real' in their own degree.

And then there's the oh so glorious action where Daisuke Ono's character flinging vending machines at Despair's character trying to kill him only to be interrupted by a Scary Black Russian guy who casually jumped down 7 stories to catch the vending machine!

It has to be seen to be felt.

Go go go go go go! What are you standing here for? Go watch it! Now!

I'm going to go and scrounge up the light novels now and keep reading.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Were you the same asshole who made quips about me never gonna make or form human connections because I happen to like watching cartoons and anime?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And yes, yes you were, you delurked apparently for the sole purpose of flaming me in my own thread and upon rereading your posts and after a meeting with the Doctor I had a few months ago realize that you were being entirely a disrespectful whiny little douche towards people with full blown or a variant (like me) of Aspergers Syndrome.

Care to go away you whiny cancerous little blight?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let it go, Blayne.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

As long as he stays in his corner and I stay in mine.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Dude, it's the Internet. There are no corners. You cannot feasibly put "limits" on his interaction with you. You can only choose how you personally respond to what people say.

You can choose to be a mature adult, or you can make the wrong choice.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was being funny there, since its fairly obvious that yes the internet has no corners.

What time is it where you live.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Time to grow up, perhaps?
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, knock off the profanity/namecalling/personal attacks.

Lanfear, returning after nearly a year to post that? Show some class.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Reading "Liar Game" manga and its almost exactly like Kaiji basically both are about absurdly high stakes games of chance where the goal is to find strategies to win and give you an upper hand, YuGiOh and Saki while good game series(s) themselves rely too much on either supernatural powers or absurdly unlikely luck respectively which make anime/manga's such as Akagi, Kaiji and Liar Game very refreshing for their seriousness. (not that Akagi doesn't sometimes violate this too but at least his luck is more believable)

Am I part of the "misaimed fandom" if I find the games player really really fun?!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.