FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Editing Mission Earth for L Ron Hubbard

Author Topic: Editing Mission Earth for L Ron Hubbard
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.holysmoke.org/rvy/rvy2.htm

This is HILARIOUS! It hard to believe that this is probably 100% factual account and that there are probably many worse writers with bigger egos.

edit: Oh, strange apparently Hubbard died when the editor got to book 3. Interesting.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there are many worse one, edited or not.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*cough*

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SmallNameBigEgo

LOTS of people seem to have even worse egos.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
If South Park insults your religion, and you feel so threatened that you have to counter with legal actions.... chances are your not a real religion.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
If South Park insults your religion, and you feel so threatened that you have to counter with legal actions.... chances are your not a real religion.

They've countered a lot of people with legal action; they cite copyright laws quite often.

But they did not sue South Park creators. Isaac Hayes left the show because of it, and Tom Cruise threatened Paramount to walk away from MI:3. Cruise also threatened to sue because of the whole "coming out of the closet" bit, but not because of Scientology.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I should also point out that I am talking specifically about the mans Ego not his religion.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someone at ASI was given the task of organizing Scientologists to go out and buy copies. He took up residence in a room in the back of Bridge Publications where he dispensed the money for the purchases. The Scientologists would then come back with the books - usually more than one copy - and a receipt to pick up more money and go out again. The room was cluttered with plastic and paper bags from bookstores all over Southern California. There were also some from other parts of the US. Any Scientologist who traveled was to pick up copies at airports. The books were then recycled back into Bridge to be redistributed and bought again. He also set up similar programs in other cities.

The idea worked. The volumes made it onto best seller lists that we then touted to Hubbard before he died. Of course, he was never told about the recycling-buying scheme. As far as he knew, he was always a best selling author. In fact, in one of his "advices" (as we called his orders), he told this story how some company found back in 1937 or so that his name on the cover of a magazine helped to sell them, proving that he was really wanted. Willie Loman couldn't have told the story better.

About the only other amusing moment I can remember is the woman who was retyping the manuscript (for the publisher's proofs) who had to quit at around Book 4 or 5 because of the necrophilia. She found it very upsetting. I don't know what happened to her but no one was allowed to find anything Hubbard wrote to be disgusting, so there were some crude remarks about her "confront" and wondering what "hidden overts" [hidden crimes] she had committed on Hubbard to say such things.

classic scientology right here.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I haven't read this thing in years. Good times, good times.

Anyway, Blayne... how many people on that tvtropes page, since you so love bringing that up, created their own religion, again?

I hazard to guess very few.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't be so sure. Some fan clubs have most of the trappings of an organized religion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KDB
Member # 12161

- posted      Profile for KDB           Edit/Delete Post 
I’m kind of a student of Hubbard’s work and I can tell you we are not talking about some self absorbed, self involved, arrogant, jerk.
We are talking about a completely black hearted sociopath.
L. Ron Hubbard spent the first half of his life trying to summon and control supernatural forces of evil and the last half creating the most deceitful and duplicitous criminal organization ever.
Except as it related to his one true love of enslaving people writing was just a job.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

They probably just missed the memo that real religions should riot and burn effigies in response to cartoons.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fred
Member # 9604

- posted      Profile for fred   Email fred         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

They probably just missed the memo that real religions should riot and burn effigies in response to cartoons.
Funny.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.