FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CARS

Author Topic: CARS
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
So how did anyone expect ever expect this to adequately funded?

I believe it started with $1 billion, assuming the minimum payout of $3500 per car is only ~286,000 payouts. According to DOT there were 7.6 million passenger cars sold in 2006, taking this as an average year, CARS could only have handled 1 out of every 27 cars qualifying.

In my (less than 5 min of) looking, I didn't see a estimate of the percentage of sales that were expected to qualify, but 3.7% (1/27%) seems like a shockingly low estimate.

I realize this is hardly the first time that we've underfunded something, but I've not see anyone pointing out that we knew it was underfunded amid all of the shocked reporting that its funding ran out in just a week.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What's even more fun is how shockingly bad the idea is as anything other than a political stunt (though it seems to have been a rather good one of those).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.