FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bill Clinton, has earned... a Crowning Moment of Awesome

Author Topic: Bill Clinton, has earned... a Crowning Moment of Awesome
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The way Jon Stewart is spinning it Bill Clinton flew in to North Korea and single handedly gained the release of 2 American (with Chinese names?) Journalists from North Korea. Single Handed without any bloodshed or violence!

[Smile] Mr Clinton, we didn't think you could do it but you did, you earned yet another CMOA [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, amusing as that idea is, it isn't really accurate. The political reality is that the conditions of the release were negotiated before he visited, and that one of those conditions was that he would give facetime to Kim Jong-il. He was possibly somewhat involved in the negotiations, but those likely took place mostly out of band with the state department. Using him meant the government wasn't technically treating with NK at all, but everyone can still tell the visit was unofficially official.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean he did it with only one of his hands!? That's amazing!
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was officially unofficial.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
He will always be remembered for his ability to pick up chicks.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, talk about diluting the concept. The man was a messenger boy for the outcome of a negotiation long done. An Average Moment Of Competence, at the very most.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
He will always be remembered for his ability to pick up chicks.

Perhaps he could be the first American dude to pick up hot North Korean chicks in generations. Bill Clinton: Trailblazer.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Heh, amusing as that idea is, it isn't really accurate. The political reality is that the conditions of the release were negotiated before he visited, and that one of those conditions was that he would give facetime to Kim Jong-il. He was possibly somewhat involved in the negotiations, but those likely took place mostly out of band with the state department. Using him meant the government wasn't technically treating with NK at all, but everyone can still tell the visit was unofficially official.

It's tricky. On the one hand, he was most likely entirely uninvolved with the negotiations that took place in the run up to his flight to North Korea, so saying he flew in with a cape and a big C on his chest and saved the day is obviously false...but on the other hand, there's some serious question as to whether or not the deal would have gone through without Clinton showing up.

Near as I can tell he was the lynch pin in a plan formulated by several other people.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Xanatos Gilligan?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but any former President or other semi-public figure of similar stature (Powell, for instance) could have served.

Don't get me wrong, it was good he went, but there's nothing particularly special about the role he played.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Sure, but any former President or other semi-public figure of similar stature (Powell, for instance) could have served.

Don't get me wrong, it was good he went, but there's nothing particularly special about the role he played.

I've read a couple of different stories that say Kim Jong Il specifically wanted Clinton, who he's been trying to meet with for more than a decade, and who he was supposed to meet with back in I think 2000, but something fell through and the meet up was cancelled. He specifically wanted Clinton. Yeah, perhaps some other major non-governmental figure of stature would have sufficed, though really, I feel like we're sort of short on those figures (though yeah, I guess Powell would fit into that category), but given the quirky nature of the regime, I'm not sure that's a given. It's unknowable, but he had a specific interest in Clinton.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone in the State Department (like a secretary or something) had any pull with former President Clinton?

No matter whether his visit was officially unofficial or unofficially official, it is wonderful the journalists were released! My cousin is one of Laura Ling's friends, and he was quite concerned about her situation. It is nice to see their families reunited.

So glad they are out of danger.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said on another site.. I bet Hillary is pleased that he brought home TWO chicks this time.

Blayne: Americans can have any type of name from any part of the world. Americans come from all over.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, technically Euna Lee is Korean-American by way of South Korea.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
mucus: She's still American.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Did I say she wasn't?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

mucus: No but the "technically" part threw me as to what you were trying to imply.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Ah, no.

It was more of a response to Blayne, as in she doesn't necessarily have a Chinese name anyways.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet K. Jong got some pimp tips from Clinton. That's really the take away from this whole deal. Pretty soon K. Jong's gonna be too busy pimpin' his ride and chillin' with the shorties to worry about his world image.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Cow: I understand the man is very lonely.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow--I just found out that one of my co-workers knows and is friends with one of their husbands.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Ah, no.

It was more of a response to Blayne, as in she doesn't necessarily have a Chinese name anyways.

I was under the sort of flimsy general impression that the Lee surname is a recent addition especially to South Korea through intermarriage with mainland China. Still I don't know about which surnames are most common where, and anyway the rate of intermarriage between Chinese men and Korean women, I have read, is a small fraction of that between Korean men and Chinese women, due to the large proportions of South Korean bachelors to available women. Is that the general situation?

I know some Asian countries like Vietnam have an overwhelming predominance of a small pool of surnames because of royal bloodlines (so I hear). I had three Korean friends in grade school, all named Edward Lim, and I think four Vietnamese guys in my school called Michael Nguyen. But then we had like six Juan Garcias, so maybe my school just attracted people with really common names.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So ronery, and sad to be arone.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Orincoro:
IANAE, I think your musings on inter-marriage may be correct but too recent to explain her name. I was under the impression at the time of the post that "Lee" (or rather 이) may have been one of the family names that had been imported into Korea a long time ago and then "Koreanized" from Chinese characters into Korean characters later.

The wiki page on the subject ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_name ) seems to back that impression up, saying that Lee comprises 14% of the last names in South Korea. It does not give a specific date for when the transfer occurred for the specific name though it does note that the Koreans adopted the Chinese characters a couple thousand years ago for naming in general.

I suppose YMMV for whether that is old enough to be considered Korean or Chinese *shrug*

Orincoro
Member # 8854

In the sense that virtually everything east and south east Asian is ultimately a product of pre-industrial Chinese expansion, dating back thousands of years and comprising successive waves of emigration, I'd say Chinese, but in the sense of signifying one's immediate ancestry, or the only roots that matter to the individuals or their society, then I suppose it's Korean.

I've been reading Guns Germs and Steal. Can you tell?

Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bill Clinton may be over a decade late to take this stance so directly and strongly, (and perhaps it is just current politics and not representative of what was really going on under his watch), BUT at least he finally stood up directly against two discriminatory laws enacted during his presidency.

Another shining moment of awesomeness. He's on a roll. Go Bill.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

I've been reading Guns Germs and Steal. Can you tell?

Did Jared Diamond decide that theft was in fact more of an important factor than steel in establishing Eurasian dominance?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.