FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Black and White Calvin and Hobbes

Author Topic: Black and White Calvin and Hobbes
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I've been wanting to share this for a while, but didn't see the opening.

If Calvin Took Ritalin.

Hard-hitting satire. Complete abuse of copyright, but still worth a read.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
phanto, you just reposted the same comic as White Whale.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

It must be a new meme. Oops!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize the face was a link
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff's Posse
Member # 3649

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff's Posse           Edit/Delete Post 
Raymond, i'm disappointed by your lack of scientific inquiry. [Razz]
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The comic itself is not an abuse of copyright, IM(non-lawyer)O.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

whoops. forgot to log out.

I mean...Sho'nuff's Posse is NOT me. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a great Pearls Before Swine on the same subject. I have it on my fridge. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it online.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with finishing your homework BEFORE going out to play? Most people I know would agree that this is a GOOD THING.

-from someone who owns every Calvin book ever made.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
What's wrong with finishing your homework BEFORE going out to play? Most people I know would agree that this is a GOOD THING.

IIRC there is a beautiful Calvin & Hobbes without any dialogue where Calvin asks his father to play out in the snow and his dad initially indicates he has too much work. Calvin walks off dejected, and his father looks at the pile of work one more time, gets up, goes outside and plays with Calvin all day. On the last panel you can see Calvin giving him a kiss goodnight while his dad hits the books again.

It would be stupid to say homework must always be observed first, or that people shouldn't have to postpone fun to get unpleasant yet necessary things done.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:

IIRC there is a beautiful Calvin & Hobbes without any dialogue where Calvin asks his father to play out in the snow and his dad initially indicates he has too much work. Calvin walks off dejected, and his father looks at the pile of work one more time, gets up, goes outside and plays with Calvin all day. On the last panel you can see Calvin giving him a kiss goodnight while his dad hits the books again.

It would be stupid to say homework must always be observed first, or that people shouldn't have to postpone fun to get unpleasant yet necessary things done.

also, no offense to launchywiggin, but focusing on the homework before play aspect of that strip is missing the point.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Right! The focus of that strip is that kids who take medicine have the imagination sucked right out of their bodies!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Stimulants are hard hitting medications. Someone who just took a strong dose of Adderall isn't too far off from how Calvin is depicted in that comic.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stimulants are hard hitting medications.
They can be, but it depends on the the stimulant, the dose, and the individual. Every child that takes Adderall doesn't automatically drop into a gloomy unimaginative morass.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin is too young for homework.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would say this is a great example of the importance of prioritizing as a father. Given that Calvin goes to sleep at 8, I'd say Dad's making the right choice to sacrifice a bit of sleep for the sake of spending time with his son. It's the last frame that delivers the message, though--it takes sacrifice, and the work still has to be finished.

My question is: Am I stealing a child's innocence and imagination by teaching them to be responsible? I try to teach my nephew(7) that you have to earn your rewards in life. When I babysit, we do work before we play. His mother hasn't learned this lesson yet, like so many other adults I know.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that's still missing the point of the strip. No one's saying there's anything wrong with teaching a work before play value system. The point of the strip is that Calvin isn't even capable of letting his imagination distract him. He can't hear Hobbes anymore. That's why the last panel is Calvin and a stuffed doll, because that's what Calvin and Hobbes was reduced to. There is no more Hobbes.

ETA: In other words, there's a difference between teaching a value system and having an attitude forced upon you through medication. It's not like Calvin will suddenly go back to "normal" when the homework is done.

That said, I don't know enough about Adderall to comment on whether on whether or not the comic accurately depicts its effects.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

For strong doses, yes, PSI, that's pretty much what happens.

But ideally, though, as MattP points out, the dose should be adequate to allow creativity and spontaneity while improving ability to focus on more boring/routine tasks.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

quote:
In other words, there's a difference between teaching a value system and having an attitude forced upon you through medication.
Ok--I see what you mean.

I have a lot of cognitive dissonance surrounding this comic and the value of imagination vs personal responsibility (ie growing up).

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin is six years old (in canon, at least; the homework he gets seems more reasonable for ten or twelve) and can read. He is not going to learn anything very valuable from his homework. Going out to play, on the other hand, will foster imagination, creativity, joy, and not being a fat slob like most American children.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I know it would defeat the point of the strip but I was always curious what the actual effects of calvin growing up would be. By all appearances he IS a genuine child prodigy in a super advanced first grade class, so I imagine he'd make almost as interesting an adult as he does a kid.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By all appearances he IS a genuine child prodigy in a super advanced first grade class, so I imagine he'd make almost as interesting an adult as he does a kid.
Yes, but, by all appearances Calvin's stuffed tiger comes to life when no one's watching. You have to assume that at least some of Calvin's genius is in his perception of himself.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Calvin is six years old (in canon, at least; the homework he gets seems more reasonable for ten or twelve) and can read. He is not going to learn anything very valuable from his homework. Going out to play, on the other hand, will foster imagination, creativity, joy, and not being a fat slob like most American children.

Isn't Calvin at the precise age where he should be learning rudimentary arithmetic and literacy? I mean granted his command of the English language demonstrates that comic book reading is absolutely sufficient for stellar diction, but I believe the comic strip demonstrates over and over again that he sucks at math.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
When it shows him unable to subtract 2 from 3, I believe we're dealing with a bit of exaggeration, either artistic to get the funny, or Calvin's as a protest against being forced to do homework.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
And I think, KoM, that was the message of the strip. There would be no Calvin and Hobbes, or at least not the Calvin and Hobbes that I grew up with, if he wasn't allowed to have his wild imagination and protest his homework every single time.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a variation on a similar theme. Warning -- there's music, which the strip doesn't need.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Isn't Calvin at the precise age where he should be learning rudimentary arithmetic and literacy? I mean granted his command of the English language demonstrates that comic book reading is absolutely sufficient for stellar diction, but I believe the comic strip demonstrates over and over again that he sucks at math
If the events of "present" are any indication, Calvin probably won't grow up to be a mathematician, but his command over linguistics and philosophy is pretty up there.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, there is also this interpretation. [Taunt]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
This is a variation on a similar theme. Warning -- there's music, which the strip doesn't need.

That is almost as sad as the last chapter of The House at Pooh Corner.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would say this is a great example of the importance of prioritizing as a father. Given that Calvin goes to sleep at 8, I'd say Dad's making the right choice to sacrifice a bit of sleep for the sake of spending time with his son. It's the last frame that delivers the message, though--it takes sacrifice, and the work still has to be finished.
Can't agree more. Listen to "Cat's in the Cradle" for emphasis.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm white, does that mean Calvin's black?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Of course, there is also this interpretation. [Taunt]

The most disturbing part of that bit is hearing Calvin speak. I don't know what his voice sounds like, but it's not that.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.