FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just adopted a kitten!

Author Topic: I just adopted a kitten!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
...or rather, the kitten adopted me.

I moved into my new house on campus with two roommates for my last year of school. We're not technically supposed to have pets, but there is a little grey and white kitten that hangs out outside our house, and spent all of last night curled up on our porch.

Today we went outside to meet her, and she is SO friendly! She seems to love our company, and she's absolutely adorable, so tomorrow we're taking her to the vet to get shots and stuff, and then to walmart to buy her a litterbox and food. We've named her Phoebe, and I think that she is probably going to come with me at the end of the year when we graduate and part ways. I'm so happy. [Smile]

I will post pics as soon as I have some!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Post pics or it didn't happen.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite an excellent 7777th post!
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Blade, I didnt know you took cat stories so personally.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Haha, Threads, I didn't even notice!

It's like it was meant to be. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Wow Blade, I didnt know you took cat stories so personally.

?

The phrase "post pics or it didn't happen" is simply internet speak for "I'd like to see pictures."

Whenever somebody does something cool, epic, or unusual it's common on a forum or in a game for people to use the phrase as a response. No animosity is meant by it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, this thread is worthless without pictures!

That's what they say on the Hermit crab forum when someone gets new crabs and they want to see pictures of them.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badenov
Member # 12075

- posted      Profile for Badenov           Edit/Delete Post 
...There's a Hermit crab *forum*?
Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, several of them.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures, Raia . . . pictures. *grin* Scratches and loves to Phoebe.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I'm getting there! I promise!
Raia
Member # 4700

So, I know I promised pictures. And they haven't come yet.

This is because Phoebe has apparently freaked out about something, and run away. She's been missing for two days. [Frown]

I really hope she comes back, she's a darling... we're keeping our fingers crossed...

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Mmmmm [Frown]

If they aren't back within 24 hours that doesn't bode well. Did you leave some food/water out for her?

swanvideos
Member # 12091

- posted      Profile for swanvideos   Email swanvideos         Edit/Delete Post 
if I was the landlord, I would have called animal control to take it away and hoped my renters didn't take it into my property. Either that, or adopted it myself.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

We don't have a landlord. It's school.

And BlackBlade, yes to water... I'll try leaving food out too. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

I miss her!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry the kitten is gone. I really hope you find her again. I've had luck with one of mine (who ran outdoors once when she was scared and got lost) by putting out flyers in everyone's mailbox for a 1/2 mile radius from my house, as well as taping up the flyers on every bulletin board and store window in the same area.

Kittens are ill-equipped to keep themselves safe outside, in general, but older cats who get outside by accident will often return within a couple of weeks. Here's hoping you find her soon! It's so heartbreaking to lose a tiny life that has come to be in your care like that. I know how bad you must feel about it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how old the kitten is, but whenever you move to a new home with a cat, you need to keep it indoors for about two weeks. Otherwise it may try to go "home." And cats have a surprising ability for navigation, almost like a built-in GPS.

Then again, maybe it found someone else who will give it tuna.

Of course, I hope nothing bad happened to it. My two cats are dear friends, and they are indoor cats, so they are safer.

[ September 07, 2009, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana is right. I just remembered a cat (Circé) I had many years ago, that was allowed to go outside. It was missing for two weeks, and I thought it had died somewhere. Then suddenly there it was--very skinny and near starved to death, and meowing desperately glad to see me. I figured what happened was that a neighbor down the street had pulled a block away from his foundation, allowing the crawl space under his house to air out, and maybe he replaced the block and trapped Circé under the house. Then finally the block got moved away again, and my cat escaped and returned home. I picked up Circé and carried him inside, and got his food dish back out with gladness. Fortunately we still had cat food in the house. And I gave him water, of course.

As for the name--in Greek mythology, Circé is the name of a goddess. Circé was named by my little brother and sister, and he had very long fur, and apparently no one bothered to check carefully when we first got him.... Anyway, it wasn't my fault.

We had Circé for many years, but finally he was hit by a car. Another cat we had many years before was Fluffy. He was a wonderful cat we had for many years, before some neighborhood kids were fooling around with a bow and arrow and killed him. I didn't find out until years later, when they had grown up and admitted to my younger brother what they had done.

Anyway, now you know why my present cats, Sherlock and Watson, are indoor cats.

[ September 07, 2009, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We had Circé for many years, but finally he was hit by a car. Another cat we had many years before was Fluffy. He was a wonderful cat we had for many years, before some neighborhood kids were fooling around with a bow and arrow and killed him. I didn't find out until years later, when they had grown up and admitted to my younger brother what they had done.
Wow. That's a sad story. Hope Sherlock and Watson live long, fulfilled lives.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That is a terrible story. [Frown] I'm sorry.

No luck yet... Phoebe is still missing... I think that maybe she was reclaimed by her mother, actually, as there was a large cat hanging out outside my house the morning she disappeared. That's the explanation I choose to believe for now. [Frown]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.