FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » People on Goodreads

Author Topic: People on Goodreads
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A question.

If you posted your review for a book, and then read some of the other reviews, and saw that the author of a book had posted a review giving her book 5 stars and saying, "I have to give it 5 stars-- I wrote it! LOL!" or something very similar, would you find that a bit... tacky?

I'm finding it very tacky.

(The book was not very good. I'm kind of ticked off I spent money on it. And this is kind of ticking me off even more.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well your supposed to look at reviews before you buy the book. If you had seen that review before would you have bought it? You just have your ordering all messed up.

It also sounds incredibly tacky.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
the author of a book had posted a review giving her book 5 stars and saying, "I have to give it 5 stars-- I wrote it! LOL!" or something very similar, would you find that a bit... tacky?

*shrug*

No. Many authors do, and there have been long discussions in the GR Feedback Group about it.

IMO, it's only tacky to give the book 5 stars if they do NOT make it clear that they are the author. Or when they get their friends (and/or fellow authors) to do so -- often without actually having read the book.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I give this post Five Stars: *****

"Best post of the year. I laughed, I cried, it changed my life."
--Speed

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave my book 5 stars, but it was actually an accident. I had just joined the site and was trying to figure out how things worked. I clicked to rate it and then couldn't figure out how to undo it. But I figured, what the heck? It's not like it's not clear I'm the author. I didn't actually leave a review of it.

I don't know -- I can't honestly say I see the problem, especially if the author made it clear that she was the author. I would hope she likes her own book. Meanwhile, everyone else is able to weigh in and it doesn't take too many other people weighing in on a book to drown out the one rating given by the author. It's not like she got extra votes.

As far as getting friends to rate it -- I only find that tacky if they really didn't read it or if they really didn't like it and lie. If they did read it and liked it, then supporting their friend seems ok to me. Or maybe that's just because I know how hard it is for a new author to get noticed in the first place. I've asked people who said they liked my book to rate it at various sites.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she has a little fan club. I don't really care about them, there will always be teens who moon over bad fiction. I don't know if they have read the thing or not, it's easy to weed out reviews like "this is the best book I've ever read! I want to marry the author!!!111!!!!!11!" from real reviews.

I don't think she shouldn't be allowed to do it or anything, I just find it... tacky. Immodest, maybe.

(Oh, and I don't think she doesn't know how Goodreads works; she apparently was on Goodreads before it was published. It's not her first book. And, I wouldn't have bought it if I'd read reviews; I picked it up as an impulse-I-need-a-book-right-now-no-internet-while-I-was-evacuating buy. That's why I posted my own review; fair warning to my friends!)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I don't know -- I can't honestly say I see the problem, especially if the author made it clear that she was the author. I would hope she likes her own book.

Entirely agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
As far as getting friends to rate it -- I only find that tacky if they really didn't read it or if they really didn't like it and lie. If they did read it and liked it, then supporting their friend seems ok to me.

I should have been clearer. I'm talking about the little private groups that are all about "I'll give your book 5 stars if you give mine 5 stars."

I give ratings (some of which are 4 or 5 stars) to friends' books on GR. But only after reading them, and not as a quid pro quo. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That is kind of tacky, but mostly I want to know what book is it?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a case of an author arguing with a bad review and trying to bully the reviewer into changing it, while trying to bully her friends who defended her into reading the book as well.

What was so funny is that the review said the author was pompous, arrogant and patronizing to his readers, meanwhile the author stated how offended he was about that characterization in a way that was ... yes ... quite pompous, arrogant, and patronizing. I thought it might be a joke, in fact, but it turned out that the man was actually the author. It was crazy.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I saw a case of an author arguing with a bad review and trying to bully the reviewer into changing it, while trying to bully her friends who defended her into reading the book as well.

What was so funny is that the review said the author was pompous, arrogant and patronizing to his readers, meanwhile the author stated how offended he was about that characterization in a way that was ... yes ... quite pompous, arrogant, and patronizing. I thought it might be a joke, in fact, but it turned out that the man was actually the author. It was crazy.

That's kind of funny but, in the author's defense (and it sounds like he needs one) I think it is problematic for reviews to assign characterization to the author. Review the book, not the author.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or review BOTH, and make it clear that you are doing so. [Razz]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Christine, I'm fairly certain I know which review/kerfuffle Tatiana is talking about (I had to refer the flags (there were quite a few!) up a level), and if so, it WAS about the book. Non-fiction, and the review was talking about the tone of the author in the book.

At this point, it has been dealt with. Thankfully, not by me! [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

If you were my GoodReads friend, you would know, wouldn't you? [Razz]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure signing up for it will be worth the wait.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you posted your review for a book, and then read some of the other reviews, and saw that the author of a book had posted a review giving her book 5 stars and saying, "I have to give it 5 stars-- I wrote it! LOL!" or something very similar, would you find that a bit... tacky?
Nope.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to add me, are you Ketchupqueen there?

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

If you were my GoodReads friend, you would know, wouldn't you? [Razz]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Alas, I cannot find you.
But I am Synesthesia on Goodreads too...

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
People read reviews before buying a book? Seriously?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

Sure. I also sometimes read reviews before watching a movie.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

This is why I'm on Goodreads, actually. If I'm going to spend many hours of my life reading a book, it's nice to know that someone liked it; especially someone who I've marked as a friend. I don't always agree with my friends' tastes, but I get to know them and read their opinions in that light.

Now, I don't usually read every review by any random stranger.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia: I sent you a friend request. I have ketchupqueen on my list, but she's listed under her real name.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
if you do a search for "ketchupqueen", there is only one result that comes up. And it's a picture of a ketchup bottle...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I have ketchupqueen on my list, but she's listed under her real name.

She's listed both ways; "ketchupqueen" is her username there as well.
Christine
Member # 8594

I think I found her. If I did it right, then I sent friend requests to both Synesthesia and ketchupqueen. I go by my name on Goodreads, too, and I'm open to friend requests.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Groovy. I shall ad more folks a bit later.
I sort of wish I had a spoilery site especially for movies. Like, do I really want to slog through this book or this movie if it ends like THIS?

Mostly I like reading bad reviews of books that annoyed me.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I didn't realize you were on staff at Goodreads. That's cool!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Only since March, and very part-time. But yeah. [Smile]

(I've been running the Librarians Group as an unpaid volunteer for considerably longer than that.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.