FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medical Question- Chest pain? - (Mayfly)

Author Topic: Medical Question- Chest pain? - (Mayfly)
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hatrack,

I had this weird feeling on Friday night - almost like I was aware of my heart. Not its pulse, and not in a painful way. The sensation could possible be described as feeling the wall of a bubble on the inside of my chest.

Actually, the feeling is located more toward the center of my chest, slightly higher than the bottom of the ribcage, and slightly on the left side.

It went away that night and resurfaced Saturday afternoon. It went away Saturday night and reappeared late last night, and is with me slightly this morning.

It does not affect my pulse at all - that remains normal. it does not affect my breathing at all. If I take a really deep breath and tighten my chest then I feel it a bit more (maybe it's muscle pain? i can't feel it if i just take a deep breath or if i just flex my chest - has to be both)

I happen to also be slightly gassy at this point and I'm wondering if that is related. Especially since sometimes i feel it more over my heart area, and other times over the center of my chest.

I wasn't too concerned when I first felt it because I'm 22 years old, tall and skinny, with no history of heart disease. But it IS an odd feeling...

Thanks!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you been lifting anything heavy in the last few days?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Nope
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Then it seems like a good idea to see a doctor.

Edit: And not just because of potential heart issues. There are a number of other possibilities that warrant medical attention.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a history of genetic heart disease in your family?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Nope. Nothing.

I took something for gas, we'll see what it does. I'm less aware of the feeling than I was before, but it's still there.

I just started law school so I'm trying to avoid actually seeing a doctor.

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a sensation like that in the past. I did a brief search and it's surprising how often "weird chest bubble" comes up. The most likely candidates seem like reflux, anxiety, or esophageal spasm.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:

I just started law school

I've had similar "pains" before, and I'm told it's caused by high stress. So it might be the stress of starting something new?

Definitely see a doctor if it doesn't go away, though...

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds a bit like the feeling I had that came and went for many years. Doctors did all sorts of tests and never could tell me what it was. Finally it turned out to be Barrett's Esophagus.

No telling if yours is the same or not. It's probably wise to rule out heart problems. It's certainly not unheard of for young thin people to have heart disease, and all too often they only find out when they're suddenly dead. I mean, when young otherwise healthy people are found to have heart disease, the presentation is often death. Not to worry you or anything. Just get it checked.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's certainly not unheard of for young thin people to have heart disease, and all too often they only find out when they're suddenly dead."

This is why I asked. We have a family history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and my brother was also just diagnosed with it. When you hear about an athlete who just drops dead? Yeah, its that. I'm going in in a couple weeks for an echo. I never had anything weird show up when I was younger, but neither did my brother, so time to get double checked.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks for all the advice and concern.

the feeling faded, but I think i should still get it checked out.

dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
SWINE FLU!!!
Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
"It's certainly not unheard of for young thin people to have heart disease, and all too often they only find out when they're suddenly dead."

This is why I asked. We have a family history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and my brother was also just diagnosed with it. When you hear about an athlete who just drops dead? Yeah, its that. I'm going in in a couple weeks for an echo. I never had anything weird show up when I was younger, but neither did my brother, so time to get double checked.

Good luck, Paul.

Tall, slim, young + heart triggers Marfan's concerns for me (probably because I know several people with it).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.