FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Check out my demo reel (shameless plug)

Author Topic: Check out my demo reel (shameless plug)
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I just graduated from Full Sail University with a degree in computer animation, and a specialization in character modeling. (If the universe were up to me it would be practical to specialize in everything at once, but unfortunately time constraints and the ability to get hired by companies that only really care if you can do the one thing they want to hire you for anyway dictate otherwise)

Anyways, so I have a shell of a website now with my demo reel, representing 4 months of sweat, blood and tears. (The blood only happened the once). You can find it over here at www.psycosmworlds.com.

Lemme know if the video isn't working correctly for you.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
The video works fine for me, and I give you personal props for using "Dream Within" for the music. Great work, I'm impressed. I dabble* in 3d modeling and it's always great to see some wonderful work for inspiration.

Congratulations on the graduation!

*Dabble meaning I've not studied it, nor work in any field that would ever require it. I just play around in Blender to see what I can do as a hobby.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Full Sail sounds like an interesting place, how did you like it?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Full Sail is a very interesting place. Classes are one month long, you take two classes at a time, working 40+ hours a week. But it is terrible place to go unless you are absolutely positive you know what you want to do. If you go there because they promise a fast degree (you get a Bachelors in two years, but that's because you work twice as hard) or because CGI looks cool but you've never actually done CGI, you're probably going to end up wasting thousands of dollars on a narrow degree that will be useless.

I had already done some CG work before (I had done some stuff in Blender, which I'm annoyed that I've forgotten how to use because it seems like a perfectly legitimate software package, except free instead of $3500 for commercial licensing). For me, Full Sail was the right choice. Some of the courses in the middle of the program were poorly designed, but it doesn't really matter by the time you get to the end.

The school evolves very quickly because the classes are so short. They can try something one month, see if it works, and change it next month if it doesn't. So within a few years I expect it to be a much better experience. However, because they're constantly changing classes, things can get confusing or poorly planned. (Again, this applies to the middle bloc of classes, the 5 months off demo reel creation are pretty solid and they are what is most important).

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

Come on, I know there are more than 3 people here.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad you couldn't get the URL www.psychosmo.com
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about computer animation, but I thought that was very cool.

FYI: the word 'receive' is misspelled in your About Me section.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.