FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is God trying to teach?--some thoughts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is God trying to teach?--some thoughts
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if you try to make sense of things, then it can look like reconciling religious beliefs with observed reality is a pretty taxing exercise.
I don't have such problem. But then I find I often have a different idea of what religious beliefs and observed reality are.

---

Most materialist thinking discards the notion of personal volition, which would seem to me to be strongly contradicted by observed reality and a pretty huge, unprovable assumption.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And when they use the word "faith" i'm assuming they're using that as a catchall for "a religion". I don't think they're implying a person's individual faith inevitably leads to this stuff, but that when organizations come around that make conflicting claims and develop belief systems based on holy writ, that violence is an inevitability.
That's what I assumed he meant, too. It just seems to me that if you look at the percentage of people who don't use religion as an excuse to harm others (And I mean that in a larger-scale sense; I'm not talking about personal faith and personal violence.) then it would make sense to start looking for other factors that are causing such behavior. In other words, just because two a-holes that happen to have a lot of power create a conflict regarding their religion that leads to death, does that make religion the cause? Or, in a world devoid of religion, would those a-holes have come up with other excuses to attack each other? Is a religious zealot dangerous because he's religious, or because he's a zealot? Zeal seems like a personality trait that's independent of religion.

Once again, I'm ignorant. I know I've been around Hatrack long enough that I probably shouldn't have that excuse, but I've largely avoided religious threads since about '04.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
Occam thought God made things simpler, but he was wrong.
No, he didn't.

Occam used his razor to show the opposite. His point was that many things, among them God, are not provable by reason.

As he used it, Occam's Razor was both a guide to rational investigation and an acknowledgment of the limitations of rational investigation.

Except Occam himself believed in God, and made an escape clause for an omnipotent being. Well, he at the very least *pretended* to believe in god, going so far as to say that the words of an infallible source could substitute for reason.

Other people have since used the same razor to prove that disbelief is rational, but I don't recall Ockham himself solely using it that way.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I don't think Ockham thought God made things simpler, either, but was merely meshing his current belief with his philosophy. I don't remember ever reading that he believed a divine creator was the simplest answer, but I could be wrong there.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Is 'Occam' the result of someone noticing that 'Ockham' has more alphabetical entities than necessary?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Heh, not a clue. I always assumed there were multiple spellings of the town. I think of the theory as Occam's, because that's how I saw it spelled when I learned it. But after studying it more in depth, I think of the man himself as William of Ockham.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most materialist thinking discards the notion of personal volition...
I think it's more that most materialists consider the concept of personal volition to be fictional but useful.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.