FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you want to oink or sneeze?

Author Topic: Do you want to oink or sneeze?
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/study-prompts-provinces-to-rethink-flu-p%3E%20lan/article1303330/

A friend of mine brought this to my attention today. They say they haven't come to any solid decision yet on the research, but even so it makes me nervous.

I was going to get my son his flu shot next week, but H1N1 is already running rampant around his school. We've been lucky so far, even though he has a horrible sounding cough he hasn't run any fever - so no H1N1 yet! But now I'm worried that if I get him his flu shot I'll be opening the doors for H1N1. What to do?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly the recommendations I've been hearing anyway are to get vaccinations for both at the same time.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Eek...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after examining the issue more closely, I've decided to get my son his flu shot. I came to this conclusion for two reasons.

1) The US CDC says they've examined their own data and have not found any correlation similar to the Canadian study. Now, the US CDC might be lying, but since several other nations have said the same thing, the risk (if it exists) seems to be isolated in Canada.

2) One of the arguments they were giving against the theory that the "immune system cells were too busy" argument was that the correlation was also found in people who only had the seasonal flu vaccine last year. Those people should have had ample time to free up their immune system cells. Well, that seems to indicate that last years flu shot was/is just as risky as having gotten this years. Since my son definitely had the flu shot last year, getting another one this year shouldn't pose much of a threat.

Still, I wish the whole mess would just GO AWAY!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.