FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Signs that you might want to call U-Haul

Author Topic: Signs that you might want to call U-Haul
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
From an article on the little 7-year-old girl killed in Orange Park, Fl.

Investigators have finished questioning all 161 registered sex offenders living within a 5-mile radius of Somer's home, Justino said.

[Angst]

Can't we just wall off a big piece of land somewhere in Nebraska and let them all live together?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure. All those people who slept with their 15-year-old girlfriend the week after they turned 16, but before she did; just as they had been doing for months before that. Unclean! Unclean! Off to Coventry!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Signs that you might not want to let your 7-year-old child walk home alone from school.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Hey, don't blame me if Florida's statutory rape laws are whack.

Though the speed with which you jumped to the defense of registered sex offenders makes me wonder if we're even safe here?

I mean, if you can't be free from creepy pervs on the interweb, where CAN you find refuge?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
4chan?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
A 5 miles radius would be about 78.5 square miles. That's over 3 times as large as all of Manhattan (22 square miles).

If they wanted to interview every sex offender in Manhattan, I'm thinking they'd need to interview a lot more than 161.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Having looked up by address on the Virginia sex offender site, it looks like there are roughly ~150 sex offenders living or working within a five mile radius of my house (there could be some double-counting there). And I live in a suburban area in Fairfax County, VA, where the median property price is ~$460K and the average household income is $105K.

Like Xavier points out, a 5 mile radius is a lot of ground and a lot of people in an urban or suburban area. There are some 33,000 people in my zip code, and that doesn't include all of the five mile radius.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
Can't we just wall off a big piece of land somewhere in Nebraska and let them all live together?

lets wall off all of nebraska..
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
A 5 miles radius would be about 78.5 square miles. That's over 3 times as large as all of Manhattan (22 square miles).

Bingo.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I see Kirk's signature I read it as "joking"
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

If they wanted to interview every sex offender in Manhattan, I'm thinking they'd need to interview a lot more than 161.

Now wait a minute. Yes, 78.5 square miles is a pretty large area, but comparing it to Manhattan is misleading because Manhattan has a hugely larger population. Population density within a given area is going to have a huge impact on whether a given number of anythings is going to sound high or low.

161 registered sex offenders within 5 miles of Manhattan is nearly negligible.

161 registered sex offenders within 5 miles of Orange Park, FL is slightly more worrisome.

161 registered sex offenders within 5 miles of my house would be downright scary, since I estimate that there are fewer than 5000 people total in that area.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, Orange Park is just on the outskirts of Jacksonville, FL (pop approx: 820,000). So, it's not exactly out in the boondocks.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, Manhattan's also not the sort of suburban place where you think it might be okay to let your child play outside alone.

That, and Manhattan has 10 times the number of people that are in Orange Park's entire 600 sq. mile county.

I was about to say that people expect Manhattanites to be freaks, but I guess I lived in Northern Florida for long enough to know that's not exclusive to New York City.

As if there weren't already a bevy of reasons to move out of North Florida, now they've gone and told them exactly how many sex offenders are roaming around.

I'd just as soon do some research and find someplace a little safer. There has to be somewhere. I wish I could believe that they're all just 16 year old boys who got turned in by the girls' angry fathers, but I've seen way too much Dateline to go back.

[edit: and looking at a map of Orange Park, a lot of the area of the 5-mile-radius circle is underwater, and between 15 and 25 miles from downtown Jacksonville]

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd let my child play outside alone in Manhattan. Not all of it, certainly, but some places.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It is on the outskirts of Jacksonville, but it's just on the other side of the 295 loop, and right at the foot of major highway bridge.

Just guessing, but I can't assume it's the best area in the world.

Edit: Though, from the wikipedia article, it seems like any old suburb. If nothing else, there's a pretty high population density in the area(about 2300/sq mi), so 161 spread out over a 5 mi radius isn't as many per capita (about 1 in 1000+) as it would be in a more rural area.

[ October 26, 2009, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.