FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WOT: Gathering Storm is out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WOT: Gathering Storm is out
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So who is reading here? I know a lot have given up on it. But So far this one is going great. Looks like it's going to be a good one. I flipped a head a few times and can't wait!!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I wanted to get caught up on the book summaries before it came out, but I forgot. I will be reading it.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered it through the WoT site a while back, but it hasn't come yet. I bought it in audio today from Audible though - and I'm a few chapters in. The Egwene story line is my favorite so far!

The forward by Brian Sanderson was probably one of the most beautiful book forwards I've ever read. It was so incredibly touching! Even though I'm a major late comer to the series, and never read anything else that Jordan wrote, it still tugged at the heart strings.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Damn, I wanted to get caught up on the book summaries before it came out, but I forgot. I will be reading it.
That better not be required. I can't be the only reader who abandoned Jordan and is only coming back now.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this line from a review on Amazon:
quote:
The book is available now in the UK and, with the worst cover in the history of modern publishing, in the USA.
It's not quite that terrible, but the cover art really has gotten progressively worse with every book, and it wasn't anything remarkable to begin with. They frequently don't even look like finished pieces of art. Seriously, how does Darrell K. Sweet get any work?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, there is a pretty good collection of chapter summaries for all books here if you're interested.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He has to be blackmailing TOR with something.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
He has to be blackmailing TOR with something.

He's threatening to reveal who killed Asmodean.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That artist is a fool, he didn't even finish drawing the front of the house.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's OK. It looks like it's about to fall over anyway.
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, I 3/5 of the way through. I am enjoying it greatly.

The strangest thing is that the book feels a bit different, not just because it's a different writer with a different style (though he does try reflect some of Jordan's writing). It feels different because so many things are happening. Beginning with book 8 (Path of Daggers), the pacing became glacial. 9 (Winter's Heart) moved things forward a bit more quickly, but then the series ground to a halt in book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight). Book 11 attempted to fix this, as Jordan felt he was nearing the end (of the series and of his life), but he was mired to much in interminable plots like the Shaido/Faile and Elayne in Andor. (Thankfully, those plots were resolved in book 11, so that Sanderson now has a clear road to the end.) And the multiple side stories and sub-plots would get one or two scenes in an entire book, so you never were sure where things were leading. And yet, there was enough to keep me interested- the characters, the epic arc, the clues, and the implied promise of an end that would be awesome (and I have been reading since 93).

But to read a book where things just keep happening, where a chapter ends at a momentous moment, only to pick up a few chapters later (as opposed to a book later), well, I am very satisfied.

Trying to savor it. Just glad that Sanderson wrote it. He took the best of Jordan and his world, his love as a fan, and his sense of pacing and style, and created something amazing.

BTW, I highly recommend his Mistborn trilogy. Seriously cool stuff. The ending was just brilliant.

[Edited to add this review:
http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=58119#67380]

[ October 29, 2009, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm really eager to read this, but I probably won't have time until the semester's over.

*sigh*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Bela killed Asmodean
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
But to read a book where things just keep happening, where a chapter ends at a momentous moment, only to pick up a few chapters later (as opposed to a book later), well, I am very satisfied.
So, Sanderson totally betrayed Jordan's vision?
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

JonBoy, that's what audio books are for!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
Bela killed Asmodean

I used to have a T-shirt that said, "I killed Asmodean." I enjoyed running into strangers who knew what it meant.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:

I actually hate passively listening to people talk for long stretches. My mind starts to wander and then I realize that I haven't been paying attention for the last several minutes.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be buying it tomorrow, probably. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really into "epic" fantasy, but my brother is. He's also in the gave-up-on-jordan-but-now-its-sanderson-yay group.

Anyway, he's shared these w/ me, and now wants me to share w/ you all.

Rinkworks "Book-a-Minute" Ultra-condensed books:
Eye of the World
The Great Hunt
The Dragon Reborn
The Shadow Rising
Fires of Heaven
Lord of Chaos
A Crown of Swords
Path of Daggers
Winter's Heart
Perrin: I was going to rescue my wife, but that will have to wait for the next book.
Mat: I was going to escape with my friends, but that will have to wait for the next book.
Egwene: I was going to attack Tar Valon, but that will have to wait for the next book.

Crossroads of Twilight
(Rand BROODS and DREAMS about his THREE WOMEN.)
Minor Characters: There is a large use of the One Power over there. (repeat indefinitely)
Perrin: I was going to save my wife, but that will have to wait for the next book.
Egwene: I was going to attack Tar Valon, but I won't finish it until the next book.
Mat: I might flirt with Tuon in the next book.

New Spring
Reader: I was going to wait for the next book, but that will have to wait for the next book.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

I actually hate passively listening to people talk for long stretches. My mind starts to wander and then I realize that I haven't been paying attention for the last several minutes.
Bruder!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Amilia:

Rinkworks "Book-a-Minute" Ultra-condensed books:

Heh. I just *barely* quoted book-a-minute on another thread. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I actually hate passively listening to people talk for long stretches
Depending on what you mean by "passively listening", I'm the same way. I listen to a lot of audio books, but only while I'm actively engaged in something else. I've gotten pretty good at hitting pause when I need to pay more attention to whatever I'm doing than I can while listening.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to reread the books, but then I remembered that I sold them all in a fit of rage a few years ago. I guess there's always the library...

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Egwene is something else in this book! I love her wit. Doing really good with her. You can actually see things wrapping up.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
WoT is not discriptive enough. I thought it meant War on Terror, until I glimpsed in the comments names of characters from Jordan's Wheel of Time saga. I too bailed on Jordan, but not until Path of Daggers. I tried to stick it out, but finally it was just too much. The first novel or two in the series were OK, but after that it is like trying to walk through quicksand. It takes too long for anything to happen. Everything is tedius, people seldom communicate in a timely fashion--even though the means is available, and all the main characters are ridiculously prickly and hostile, expecting everyone to defer to them. Nobody seems to love anybody, except themselves. I don't care who wins the final battle.

And no, I'm not going back. I prefer the much more robust and rewarding fantasy of L.E. Modesitt Jr., and of Terry Brooks. Also I would add the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (the same guy who wrote the Dresden Files series).

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I prefer the much more robust and rewarding fantasy of...Terry Brooks.
O_o
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
WoT is not discriptive enough.

You may be the only person on the face of the earth to have voiced this complaint.
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I actually hate passively listening to people talk for long stretches
Depending on what you mean by "passively listening", I'm the same way. I listen to a lot of audio books, but only while I'm actively engaged in something else. I've gotten pretty good at hitting pause when I need to pay more attention to whatever I'm doing than I can while listening.
Ditto that.

I'm giving my brother Gatherin Storm for Christmas. He figured that he waited long enough for it to come out, what's another two months? I'm still back on...uh...Winter's Heart and need to catch up eventually.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Reread Knife of Dreams recently (which wasn't as good as I remembered, probably cause I had originally read it after Crossroads of Boredom, but still decent), and read the prologue for TGS last night. It was easily the most briskly paced prologue in the series, at least since Eye of the World.

Mistborn was terrific so I have high hopes for the remainder of this series, especially after Sanderson's good start with the prologue. It'll probably take me a week or two to plow through this, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I like all of the books that Ron just mentioned, BTW. Great writing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I think I'm the only person in the world that actually thinks Wheel of Time got better as it went on. I wasn't really all that excited about the first couple of books. In fact, I probably wouldn't have even made it through "Eye of the World" if it wasn't for "New Spring". I had spent weeks struggling through the first few chapters of EotW when I ended up getting New Spring on audio from the library and listening to it in the car. New Spring made me care enough about the characters to pick up the pace with EotW. "The Great Hunt" almost made me give up, and is still my least favorite book in the series, but "The Dragon Reborn" was better, and after that I really thought they were mostly pretty good. I didn't find Crossroads of Twilight slow, I found it fulfilling. I love all the day to day life, all the sub plots, and the endless number of minor characters who have real lives. The ONLY thing I don't like about the books is Jordan's tendency to be overly descriptive about scenery, clothing, and the way all the books start with the whole, "it wasn't the beginning but it was A beginning..." thing.

I'm REALLY enjoying this book though - but I want more Egwene!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
WoT is not discriptive enough.

You may be the only person on the face of the earth to have voiced this complaint.
No kidding, Jordon's lengthy descriptions were what prompted to me to stop reading WOT after the first chapter of book one.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
...and all the main characters are ridiculously prickly and hostile, expecting everyone to defer to them. Nobody seems to love anybody, except themselves.

I like this about the series. It's a lot different from something like LotR, or Star Wars, where all the main characters are so unified in purpose (though with Lucas, I think that's because he just can't write characters). In WoT, every single person has their own agenda, which they refuse to let anyone else in on. I find it intriguing.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
The ONLY thing I don't like about the books is...the way all the books start with the whole, "it wasn't the beginning but it was A beginning..." thing.

I just got to that part of Gathering Storm, and it made me smile.

Of course, it's been yonks since I last read Jordan.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
quote:
...and all the main characters are ridiculously prickly and hostile, expecting everyone to defer to them. Nobody seems to love anybody, except themselves.

I like this about the series. It's a lot different from something like LotR, or Star Wars, where all the main characters are so unified in purpose (though with Lucas, I think that's because he just can't write characters). In WoT, every single person has their own agenda, which they refuse to let anyone else in on. I find it intriguing.
Though it got taken to an absurd extreme at points.

(and by points, I mean at least an entire couple of the books.)

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I'm the only person in the world that actually thinks Wheel of Time got better as it went on.

I agree with you up to a point... specifically, up to and including book 6. A Crown of Swords is where Jordan finally had too many balls in the air to keep juggling them fluidly.

(Disclaimer: I made it through Path of Daggers before deciding that I was gonna wait till the series was done before bothering with the rest. So I can't speak for books 9 through 11.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No kidding, Jordon's lengthy descriptions were what prompted to me to stop reading WOT after the first chapter of book one.

He does ease up on that after the first book. Supposedly he went heavy on the description in the first one so that Tolkien fans would start on familiar territory. (Though there's also a TON of foreshadowing, as it turns out.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I thought the first half of the first book was broing, and barely finished it. If you know me, you know that is almost UNHEARD of since I read so fast, and I love fantasy novels. The second half sped things up, and I loved his ideas.

I thought the next 2 books were some of the best I have read, and I still enjoy them today.

I JUST bought TGS (half an hour ago), but I have a 6 person med pass on Monday so I'll be busy all weekend preping for that. I'll post here when I get a chance to read some of it.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy and BlackBlade, when I said WoT was not descriptive enough, I meant as a title for this thread, not the books--which if anything, are overly descriptive of every little thing. I said WoT first made me think of War on Terror. I guess some people do not read with good comprehension, or take due note of context.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*adjusts Ron's sarcastometer*
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

*slaps hand* Leave my sarcastometer alone! I prefer not to respond to sarcasm when it is poorly done, and deliberately ignores context.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
I prefer not to respond to sarcasm when it is poorly done

I have to say, I thought Jon Boy's response was brilliantly funny.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Sarcasm is one thing. Lying is something else. Jon Boy lied about what I said. That is not funny, it is dimwitted.

Perhaps it is futile for me to try to educate barbarians in the proper use of literary devices.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, brother, Ron. Calm down. I most certainly did not lie about what you said. If you want to educate barbarians about literary devices, maybe you should examine the giant ambiguity in your previous post. Maybe after that you could investigate the concept of irony.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

No, I Ronny. That's what my mother called me.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Jon Boy and BlackBlade, when I said WoT was not descriptive enough, I meant as a title for this thread, not the books--which if anything, are overly descriptive of every little thing. I said WoT first made me think of War on Terror. I guess some people do not read with good comprehension, or take due note of context.

Sorry I missed the context, I was just so bowled over by the statement. It was my visceral response, no offense was intended.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
That is not funny, it is dimwitted.

No, it's funny. What would be dimwitted would be for someone to make a joke in response to one's post and for one not to realize that it was a joke, and then comment on it as though it were serious; then when it is pointed out to one that it is a joke, to try to save face by pretending that one knew it was a joke, but are actually offended by it. That would be dimwitted.

Not that anyone here would do that.

IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
It is done.

Awesome. Just awesome.

So much happens. So much is CLEAR. Gone are the days where the characters don't even think of their plans in their own POV, so that we have top piece together clues as to what is going on (e.g.: Egwene and the harborchains to cuendillar strategy of the besieging rebels). Here, things are clear. People talk. Information is shared.

Egwene: Awesome
Verin: Awesome
Rand: ....ahhh, can't say anything but that it sucks to have gone through all th stuff he has gone through since LOC (6). Talk about post traumatic stress.
And a host of others that I can't think of right now.

And answers. Answers, my friends. It moves fast guys. Fast. Things never stop. Descriptions never get in the way. Yet it still is WOT. Glad that Brandon is a fast writer. Can't wait for the next.

content.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

IanO, you almost persuade me to check out Gathering Storm. Maybe Brandon has fixed the rigor mortis that had set in with Jordan's latter novels.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I am having a hard time not looking up spoilers. I want to know the deal with Verin- is she black ajah? what are her crazy plans? And I am not getting it until Christmas probably.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.