FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with Cyrillic text, please?

Author Topic: Help with Cyrillic text, please?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

This is a PDF file containing a scan of a very old death certificate from Poland/Russia. It's the death record of Gittel Bielak, two of whose granddaughters married into my family. My cousin (who sent me this document, which fugu very kindly helped me to open) has been trying to figure out what Gittel's mother's name was. He's shown this to native readers, but they've told him that the Cyrillic alphabet went through a lot of changes in the 20th century, making it difficult to decipher the name.

Can any of you smart people figure this out?

[ October 29, 2009, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Duh... I mean Gittel's mother's name.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on it.

Her father's name is Eliyash Titelbaum (I think), and the mother's name begins with a "Ts." Let me stare at it a few more minutes.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know you think Russian won't be hard to learn for day to day use and then wham you get hit with someone actually using it in paper and not just the 'clean' version seen in text.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Lisa is your email still lisa AT starways etc?
Yozhik
Member # 89

Got it. I think it's Tsypra (which I assume is a variant of Tzipporah?). It says "daughter of Eliyash and Tsypra the spouses Titelbaum."

"Seventy-two years from birth, having left behind a widowed husband, Gersh Bielyak..." So she was 72 when she died. Gittel, that is, not her mother.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
How long ago would you have to have registered to get Yozhik's "A Long Time Ago!?" [Eek!]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

HES MEMBER # 89!!?
Yozhik
Member # 89

I probably registered before you were born. [Big Grin]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And yet only 1450 posts? Your lazy.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I continue to be both astounded, impressed and incredibly pleased by the breadth and length of Hatrack's knowledge base.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik is a she.

And IIRC, "A Long Time Ago!" = 1999.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

My lazy what?
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Early 1999, at that. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, mid-1999. Wasn't it May or June?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the very last A Long Time Agos were in May.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Yozhik:
Got it. I think it's Tsypra (which I assume is a variant of Tzipporah?). It says "daughter of Eliyash and Tsypra the spouses Titelbaum."

"Seventy-two years from birth, having left behind a widowed husband, Gersh Bielyak..." So she was 72 when she died. Gittel, that is, not her mother.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! That's terrific. And I concur about the amazing knowledge that's aggregated here.

PS: yes, Blayne, sorry I haven't replied yet.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Take your time. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.