FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is gay marriage really a way to legitimize homosexuality? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Is gay marriage really a way to legitimize homosexuality?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
How do you pronounce Vrijmand?

Exactly the way it's spelled.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Yes, but under which phonetic rules?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Seriously, like 20% of my school has herpes.
That's not too surprising. Last I heard, something like 22% of the general population has herpes.
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
Not on their face though. Which makes it pretty bad.

I'm not sure how to interpret this: do you mean that your classmates have herpes in the genital area rather than oral, and that location makes the numbers "pretty bad?"

Because the best estimate is that somewhere between 21% and 25% of the general population has genital herpes, which would be quite in line with your student population. Furthermore, exposure to oral herpes approaches 80% by adulthood, and most kids have been exposed by schoolage.

I think people tend to underestimate the prevalence of herpes as a sexually-transmitted infection. It's definitely out there, and it is common. [And for what it's worth, although we used to think of HSV-I as oral and HSV-II as the sexually-transmitted genital version, either can occur and be spread in either area.]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Yes, but under which phonetic rules?
I am going to guess Vree mand
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Seriously, like 20% of my school has herpes.
That's not too surprising. Last I heard, something like 22% of the general population has herpes.
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:

I'm not sure how to interpret this: do you mean that your classmates have herpes in the genital area rather than oral, and that location makes the numbers "pretty bad?"

Because the best estimate is that somewhere between 21% and 25% of the general population has genital herpes, which would be quite in line with your student population. Furthermore, exposure to oral herpes approaches 80% by adulthood, and most kids have been exposed by schoolage.

I think people tend to underestimate the prevalence of herpes as a sexually-transmitted infection. It's definitely out there, and it is common. [And for what it's worth, although we used to think of HSV-I as oral and HSV-II as the sexually-transmitted genital version, either can occur and be spread in either area.]

They have herpes on there face, not the cold sore type either but full blown it is gross to look at them herpes. I guess it may not be out of the norm for the country but it seems to me like I have only seen high schoolers in my area with herpes.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's herpes? Maybe they're just all meth addicts.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have guessed acne.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I would have guessed acne.

Me too.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. What kind of pansy-ass schools did you guys go to, where acne is more common than meth addiction?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

The highly sebaceous kind of pansy-ass school.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Seriously, Xann - how did you decide you were seeing herpes all over people's faces?
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It's those slides they show in what passes for sex ed. It warps young peoples' minds. That's what will cause the zombie apocalypse, you know.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.