FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need a new coordinator for the Hatrack Holiday Charity Drive 2010

Author Topic: Need a new coordinator for the Hatrack Holiday Charity Drive 2010
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So due to unfortunate circumstances, I will not be able to run the Charity drive this year. Also, due to related circumstances, I won't be able to do my matching pledge.

That said, I really, REALLY don't want this Hatrack tradition to die out this year. So I am hoping one (or two or three...) people can volunteer. It is a little bit of work, but only mostly at the beginning.

The basic flow is:

1. Announce the imminent drive, and give a week to get get nominations for a charity to pledge to.
2. Set up a surveymonkey (or equivalent) poll for people to vote on the nominees, usually lasts a week.
2a. If there is a tie, do a short 3 day runoff of the top two or 3. If there is still a tie, choose by fiat [Smile] (Note: This has never happened)
3. Set up an email address somewhere where people can forward you donation receipts, or just let you know how much they pledged.
4. Set up a thread (see previous years' threads for what to do, or not to do, as your preference) and post the nominee, the email address from 3., and basic cajoling to get people in the spirit!
5. The easy part, periodically update/bump the thread with the latest tally. The drive usually goes to New Year's Eve (though if you want it to go until Epiphany, or Purim, or the Summer Solstice, knock yourself out! [Smile] )

We've had several coordinators in the past, so if you choose to run the drive, you will go down in the hallowed halls of Hatrack.

Oh, and if you've ever wanted to have a thread of yours pinned to the top of the forum for at least a month, here is your chance!

-Bok, fundraiser and general holiday nuisance, emeritus

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
When do you generally start the process? I'm extremely busy for the next week or two, then I'll have enough time to read emails and update a thread. After the first week of December, I'll have all the time in the world.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hatches evil scheme to steal all the world's time from Lyrhawn*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Ideally the drive should go for a month, starting on the first of December. As I mentioned, most of the work for the coordinator takes place starting now, by soliciting nominations, Setting up a poll to let people choose the charity, and then setting up the charity drive thread to update the tally, and give instructions on how to donate.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be fun to have a prize for the person who donates closest to twice the average donation by hatrackers.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Ideally the drive should go for a month, starting on the first of December. As I mentioned, most of the work for the coordinator takes place starting now, by soliciting nominations, Setting up a poll to let people choose the charity, and then setting up the charity drive thread to update the tally, and give instructions on how to donate.

-Bok

I couldn't even begin to look at this for another week, but after that, I'd probably be able to handle it. Email me if no one else volunteers or if you want to take me up on the offer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Will do.

-Bok

Bokonon
Member # 480

No one is in a charitable mood? Remember, a thread of yours could be stickied for. an. ENTIRE. MONTH!

[Smile]

-Bok

Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Charitable? Sure.
Available? Sadly, no.

Working overtime for work and planning a move and wedding for January all around the holidays is more than enough at the moment. [Frown]

(Edit to add question mark.)

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I'll be busy stealing Lyrhawn's time.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Grinch!

-Bok

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
So, what we are looking for is someone to set up a poll and let people vote? Lyrhawn would take over when all the money and tracking stuff comes into place? I would be willing to do 1 and 2 and 2a, but I don't want to do the rest. How hard can setting up a surveymonkey be?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

That sounds feasible. I'm sure Lyrhawn is cool with that.

-Bok

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm fine with taking over when it comes to tracking emails and doing updates.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok- will start thread now!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.