FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A pacifist on Veterans' Day

Author Topic: A pacifist on Veterans' Day
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I subscribe to a lot of e-mail lists for all of the organizations I belong to, and pretty much all of them had a "remember" thread about Veterans' day, praising the brave efforts of our military.

This is my "remember" thread--that Congress originally dedicated today to world peace--an idea that seems to be glossed over as "idealist nonsense" by a lot of people these days.

[ November 11, 2009, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Launchywiggin ]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
A military empire naturally needs different customs and public observations than a republic which takes up arms only in defence of its interests. That said, I don't think it's too unreasonable to consider that a lot of the things said in the immediate aftermath of 1918 were, indeed, a bit unrealistic.

quote:
Did you believe... that this War would End Wars?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
World peace would be lovely...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
::remembering with gratitude::
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that honoring the veterans and dedicating a day to world peace is at all at odds, even on the same day. No one would believe that a large active police force is at odds with maintaining a safe city. There will always be tyrants who will take advantage of the weak. The school bully knows better than to mess with the nice kid who happens to be the state champion wrestler. Honor the wrestler for intervening on the behalf of the nerd getting a swirly.

If our nation was completely pacifist, we would cease to exist and that peace would be short lived.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think that honoring the veterans and dedicating a day to world peace is at all at odds, even on the same day.
Agreed. I just thought the second half was getting less emphasis, and wanted to point it out.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

(sorry, dupl)
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, a nice thread to vent in.

They had a ceremony at the basketball game I went to, tonight. It was nice to hear the songs for each branch of the military, as opposed to the normal band music.

Unfortunately, right after the music, they had veterans stand up to be recognized. I don't mind this. Then, the speaker asked spouses to stand. Then people who had grandparents who were veterans. Followed by people who had aunts or uncles who served. Practically the entire gym was standing.

This sounds cool, but I'll just flat out state that I wasn't imagining the looks on some people's faces as they looked at who was still sitting. I received at least one look that said, "It's sad that your family hasn't got this." Since I couldn't say anything in there, I'll say it here. We didn't go far enough back in my family tree, guys.

So, yeah, Armistice Day it is. And I'll observe it peacefully in my own home, provided I don't have to work that day. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Today at work we held a moment of silence at 11 o'clock. In some ways I look forward to being able to wear my poppy all year. If only because it is this time that we set aside to remember those who have fallen and those who lived and those who still fight.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My great-aunt Freedom was born on Armistice Day. She was a wonderful lady, with a cutting wit and a heart of gold. My younger daughter is named after her (middle name).

I miss Aunt Freedom, and I think of her often. But especially on her birthday.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
his is my "remember" thread--that Congress originally dedicated today to world peace--an idea that seems to be glossed over as "idealist nonsense" by a lot of people these days.
The school I'm doing my practicum in (and every school I've ever been in) always focuses on peace. One set of students did a series of readings from experiences of soldiers, civilian adults and children in wartime (old and modern). You don't realise how moving grade 7s and 8s can be until you see them do it.

Remembrance Day in my experience always talks about veterans, but always with sadness. Every teacher and kid in the gym today was wearing a poppy and every one knew why.

But the ceremony ended with a student-assembled poem called Freedom, the ultimate message of which was "War starts when one side runs out of ideas" a naive but reasonably correct assertion. "It's not always impossible to avoid war," the message continued, "but this will soon be our world" (I can't believe I'm on the other side of this sentiment now; this is my world) and it's up to us to work to find solutions that attempt to prevent war."

Not the exact words, but you get the gist.

I think Remembrance Day is most often well done, but Canada is-- even at its most militaristic-- significantly less militaristic than the US. There's always a healthy dose of peace talk.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
This sounds cool, but I'll just flat out state that I wasn't imagining the looks on some people's faces as they looked at who was still sitting. I received at least one look that said, "It's sad that your family hasn't got this."

I hate that. There was a whole lot of that where I grew up.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

I flew accross country today to visit my mother. After boarding from a layover, a man walked back from first class to the cheap seats and swapped with an Airman in uniform. I was impressed that the man who paid big bucks would give up his seat for several hours to the Airman. What others may not have realized is....I was completely not impressed with the airman. I'm still a reservist with 12 years active duty and I know post 911 we are not suppose to travel in uniform. The times of travelling in uniform are over. We aren't even suppose to carry bags that could ID us as military. The junior Airman was looking for attention. After his first tour in a war zone, he'll be humble. On a flight that big, I'm sure there we're several actual veterans, sitting there quietly.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I, for one, think it's very sad that so MANY people have had to serve in the military. Those statistics aren't something to be celebrated.

I certainly feel no shame that none of my extended family have joined the military--it's a relief, if anything.

malanthrop
Member # 11992

You are fortunate to have a family circumstance that left you with more options for success. I'm sure the Hiltons, Heinz's and Kennedy's would say the same thing about us working folks "having to work". To me the military isn't a last resort option but the epitome of the American dream. I served with blacks who escaped the ghetto and now make 6 figures. Filipinos and Mexican's who joined the Navy for a leg up on the American dream, citizenship. I understand some might view the military as a last resort option for the down trodden, like welfare, but the military represents all that is good about America. In the military, as in America, anyone can succeed regardless of race, creed or color. In the military there is no black or white, there is only rank. In the military you succeed on your own merits and everyone starts off on the same playing field. No excuses. Even without a General Jesse Jackson, you can succeed just the same. The military is a second chance for adults who might have wasted the first equal chance they inherited as a birthright as an American.

No need to be ashamed of not joining and your feeling of relief is understandible. The military is a burdon not suited to everyone. If your sadness is due to the necessity of war, I solemnly agree. If by "had to" you are referring the earlier draft, I can follow. If it's pity you're expressing, you might offend a lot of veterans.

[ November 12, 2009, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I, for one, think it's very sad that so MANY people have had to serve in the military. Those statistics aren't something to be celebrated.

I certainly feel no shame that none of my extended family have joined the military--it's a relief, if anything.

i think those statistics are something to celebrate because they represent far more of that which is positive than negative.

as for me, i certainly feel no shame that some of my extended family have joined the military--it's a relief, if anything.

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
To me the military isn't a last resort option but the epitome of the American dream.

It seems somehow symbolic how the American dream has changed.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

I know some teachers still tell kid's they can be president or an astronaught but here's my basic defenition of the American Dream: "The equal opportunity to succeed."

Notice that there's no guarantee of equal outcomes only equal opportunity. The military is completely equal. Equal pay, cloths, food, quarters, testing, etc. The military is not in itself the American dream but a means for that dream and representative of the equality of opportunity afforded to all Americans. My daughter is an excellent student and will most likely succeed but I'm quite sure some of her classmates, later in life, will blame their failure on the very same school that produced success in others. The military represents the American dream better than anything. Equal opportunity and advancement based upon merit alone without prejudice or racial and sexual quotas. Funny how minorities succeed much better in this environment.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The military is a second chance for adults who might have wasted the first equal chance they inherited as a birthright as an American.
But while it's their second chance, it's not their "last resort?" Because apparently they'd have other chances later? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
A man on the radio brought up an interesting point. How do we, as a nation, celebrate Veteran's day?

We close the banks and the post office and the government offices, including the VA.

Basically, we close the services that many Vets are looking to use.

While there are some vets who work for the government, and especially in the VA, the vast majority of veterans do not. They still get to go to work.

So here is what we, as a nation, are saying: "Thanks for your sacrifice Veterans. We are taking the day off."

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've often thought that Veterans should have off for Veterans Day....everyone else should work
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
... The military is a second chance for adults who might have wasted the first equal chance they inherited as a birthright as an American.

No, from my perspective the difference is that the epitome of the American Dream used to be about the stereotypical hardworking immigrant passing by the Statue of Liberty or arriving in San Fransisco in order to build a new life.

If you're right, the epitome of the American dream is now about native-born ("birthright") Americans leaving the country in order to fight. As I said, that seems kinda symbolic.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

quote:
If your sadness is due to the necessity of war, I solemnly agree. If by "had to" you are referring the earlier draft, I can follow. If it's pity you're expressing, you might offend a lot of veterans
My sadness referred to all of those, actually--but especially to the un-necessity of war.

While I might offend some veterans, it can't be denied that the military attracts non-college bound high school graduates who don't think they can get a job elsewhere. And while your argument that the military stands as a bastion of equality and opportunity might be true, I can't ignore the PURPOSE of our military, which is to threaten, coerce, and kill other humans.

I try to imagine what would happen if we had devoted the same amount of resources for alternatives to war as we do for our current military industrial complex. The mind boggles at how much suffering we might have averted.

My American Dream is the America that no longer needs a military.

malanthrop
Member # 11992

That would require a fundamental shift in human nature. Even long after peaceful advanced nations have shed their warlike tendancies, they will need to maintain a force to keep at bay the nations lacking modernity. Imagine a world where North Korea has the most powerful military because we have disarmed ourselves in the name of world peace.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.