FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst school fundraiser ever.

Author Topic: Worst school fundraiser ever.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Selling test points

quote:
Officials at the state Department of Public Instruction say exchanging grades for money teaches children the wrong lessons
Duh!!
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
ha.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Principal Susie Shepherd says it's not enough of an impact to change a student's overall grades.
Probably true in most cases, but totally missing the point.

And what about those cases where it actually is enough to change a grade on the cusp?

YEESH!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't even occur to this school that if an individual teacher had done this, they would be fired summarily for accepting bribes?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't even make sense. Who would pay twenty bucks for a higher score unless it improved their grade?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, perhaps we can hope that the principal will be summarily fired?

Now, if I wanted to raise funds from the students, and didn't care about the ethics or legality, I would instead start a sex-education class. It costs money to take it, but "hands-on experience or your money back".

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how things that seem like they couldn't happen do in fact happen.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Didn't even occur to this school that if an individual teacher had done this, they would be fired summarily for accepting bribes?

That was pointed out in the comments by a teacher.

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
That doesn't even make sense. Who would pay ten bucks for a higher score unless it improved your grade?

It improves the grade on a single exam; the principal's claim is that a single exam is not statistically significant to the student's overall grade. However, expecting many middle school students (especially if they're getting C's!) to understand that is problematic.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

Now, if I wanted to raise funds from the students, and didn't care about the ethics or legality, I would instead start a sex-education class. It costs money to take it, but "hands-on experience or your money back".

These are middle school students (11-13). I think we'd make more money selling them beer and pot.
scifibum
Member # 7625

How's this one: $20 buys you an hour to play games on the computer. I'd probably be OK with it.

I'd be uncomfortable with allowing the kid to skip a test, though.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[ROFL] [ROFL]

That would only work for high school - maybe middle school - but still, surefire way to raise money. That is until the parents storm the school with pitchforks [Wink]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it teaches the wrong point. If the point of school is to prepare kids for the real world, I think teaching that money can open up things you don't otherwise deserve is more honest than the opposite.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I don't know if it teaches the wrong point. If the point of school is to prepare kids for the real world, I think teaching that money can open up things you don't otherwise deserve is more honest than the opposite.

[Roll Eyes] Another "realist".
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:

I had a similar thought, but if the sole point of school is to prepare kids for the real world, then grades wouldn't be so important. The function of grading is to sort kids by certain merits.

So the point of schools that have grades is at least partially to recognize merit.

Allowing false merit to be purchased in that situation would then teach opposing things at the same time, which for me is wrong enough.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant that in jest. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It was a shot at how the world works, not a real endorsement of pay for grade schemes.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

These are middle school students (11-13). I think we'd make more money selling them beer and pot.
Ok, could be. Still, for the upper end of that age range, I think it would work. If nothing else, I think they'd all be eager to brag that they had taken the class, even if they weren't getting much out of the hands-on experience. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mom, can I have $100 to buy a good test grade for a school fundraiser?"

"Actually, we're starting homeschooling Monday."

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[ROFL]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe a principal really thought this was a good idea!!!!

On second thought, maybe I can believe it...

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.