FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark

Author Topic: I think the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear a lot of radio talk shows mention the phrase "jump the shark". For those that don't know, "jumping the shark" is when a show does something so dumb and out of character it is never the same again (at least that's how I see it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

I hear it used by, usually, sports talk show hosts that try to venture off into other discussions. They use "jump the shark" when they really mean, "the show sucks now". There is a difference. I've heard it overused so much lately that I think the phrase will never be the same to me again. So, I think the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard a new replacement: "Nuking the fridge"

I like it better.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, saying that "jump the shark" has jumped the shark jumped the shark over a year ago.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

I've been busy and couldn't post this for a year. [Smile]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And what's the deal with airline meals?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
I have heard a new replacement: "Nuking the fridge"

I like it better.

There was an Indiana Jones movie in 2008?

Huh.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I read some fan justification for the "Nuke the Fridge" by saying that Indy's drink from the Holy Grail has given him a fair amount of lingering regeneration abilities.

When I saw IJATLC as a kid, I thought Indy was immortal from that point on, so I can get behind that. However, the other parts of the movie that sucked...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
That film was kinda like televised fanfiction with a budget.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Actually, saying that "jump the shark" has jumped the shark jumped the shark over a year ago.

I think you just created a shark-jumping singularity from which no meme can escape.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I never knew where that phrase came from. My use of pop culture terminology will now be so much more self aware!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

I think you just created a shark-jumping singularity from which no meme can escape.
Especially since meta humor has also jumped the shark.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
There was an Indiana Jones movie in 2008?

Huh.

This is not the Indiana Jones movie you're looking for. >waves hand< Move along.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

Especially since meta humor has also jumped the shark.
I think that happened exactly here.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
This is not the Indiana Jones movie you're looking for. >waves hand< Move along.

Absolutely safe to say about any of 'em.

[ November 17, 2009, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I have no particular thoughts on the Motherboy episode. But I do think AD continued to be hilarious right through to the end of season 3. In fact, some of my favorite episodes of all time were in season 3, particularly the "tiny town" and jetpack episode.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the episode where Henry Wrinkler's character jumps a shark.

I agree - great series all the way through.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's another one of those shows that practically everybody seems to enjoy more than me.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's another one of those shows that practically everybody seems to enjoy more than me.

Yeah, me too. I've never really gotten the appeal of that one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Herman!
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by Godric:
It's the episode where Henry Wrinkler's character jumps a shark.

I agree - great series all the way through.

This thread has been enlightening in so many ways!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the new Indy movie, but maybe because I never seen the previous ones thus I didn't set for it the impossibly high expectations the rest of you put in it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny see I always envisioned the metaphor as somebody riding an idea long enough for it to turn dangerous (like a shark). The fans expect you to keep churning out fresh new brilliant ideas in the same universe and when you finally break out people call it jumping the shark. Sorta like Jefferson's metaphor of riding a tiger, it's so mad you're riding it, but getting off isn't an option because then it will get you.

Man was I way off.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
That's funny see I always envisioned the metaphor as somebody riding an idea long enough for it to turn dangerous (like a shark). The fans expect you to keep churning out fresh new brilliant ideas in the same universe and when you finally break out people call it jumping the shark. Sorta like Jefferson's metaphor of riding a tiger, it's so mad you're riding it, but getting off isn't an option because then it will get you.

Man was I way off.

I like this explanation much better.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't like it when some people all of a sudden take it upon themselves to declare popular, useful phrases as trite and old. Initially, when a phrase or word is fairly new, the early users get cool points for being the first to use it as part of everyday, normal language. Then when the phrase loses the freshness and novelty that bestow these cool points, some people try to earn further cool points by trying to become the first people who reject the coinage. They proceed to announce their rejection as loudly possible while never missing the opportunity to signal contempt for the rubes who continue to use the phrase. Caught between the early adopters and the inevitable rejectors are the people who take up the world/phrase because they find it to be a useful expression of a phenomenon or idea that would require more words to capture. The intention of this thread, then, is destructive, and we must resist it at all costs.

[ November 17, 2009, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Clive Candy ]

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I resist it by refusing to post in it.

Take that, unmaker!

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clive Candy:
The intention of this thread, then, is destructive, and we must resist it at all costs.

*slack-jawed gaze*
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liked the new Indy movie, but maybe because I never seen the previous ones...
Have you seen them yet? Go do it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Clive Candy:
I really don't like it when some people all of a sudden take it upon themselves to declare popular, useful phrases as trite and old. Initially, when a phrase or word is fairly new, the early users get cool points for being the first to use it as part of everyday, normal language. Then when the phrase loses the freshness and novelty that bestow these cool points, some people try to earn further cool points by trying to become the first people who reject the coinage. They proceed to announce their rejection as loudly possible while never missing the opportunity to signal contempt for the rubes who continue to use the phrase. Caught between the early adopters and the inevitable rejectors are the people who take up the world/phrase because they find it to be a useful expression of a phenomenon or idea that would require more words to capture. The intention of this thread, then, is destructive, and we must resist it at all costs.

Rants like this have so nuked the shark.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I think they may have jumped the fridge.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I really didn't care for the new Indy movie at all, so the fridge nuking didn't really bother me. It would have bothered me if it was standing out as the single unacceptable implausibility in an otherwise good movie. I suspect my enjoyment of the earlier films has something to do with seeing them as a young person who didn't bother trying to criticize any movies he saw, though.

Blayne, you've given an excellent example of making sense of something that makes no sense at all when you don't understand a reference. And it's a pretty good rationalization, too. I'd like to see you take on the lyrics to a Pearl Jam song.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I suspect my enjoyment of the earlier films has something to do with seeing them as a young person who didn't bother trying to criticize any movies he saw, though.

I think this is key. For both the new Indy as well as the new Star Wars films, I think the negative fan reactions far outweigh any actual decline in quality. Most or all criticisms that can be laid against the new movies could, if one stripped away the nostalgia and wiped the rose off one's glasses, be said for the originals as well.

Particularly, implausible events re: Indy and terrible dialogue re: Star Wars.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I really didn't care for the new Indy movie at all, so the fridge nuking didn't really bother me. It would have bothered me if it was standing out as the single unacceptable implausibility in an otherwise good movie.

I hadn't watched the original films in some time, and I forgot the attitude which I should have been watching the film. I really disliked the first part of the film, because I was looking for a modicum of realism. Then there was the nuking of the fridge incident. That made me remember that I shouldn't even be looking for a smidgen of realism, and from then on I more or less enjoyed the film.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I liked the new Indy movie, but maybe because I never seen the previous ones thus I didn't set for it the impossibly high expectations the rest of you put in it.

Yeah, no kidding. Even seeing the second one will make you realize how much the last one sucked.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the only Indiana Jones movie that is actually good is the third one. It managed to transcend the total ridiculousness of the first two (imo, they are ridiculous and fit in very well with the fourth).

I think the third movie moved the goalposts of the movie franchise for most Indiana Jones viewers. In our brains we have this higher, more serious, more intelligent standard for the movies, whereas the reality of the Indiana Jones movies is much, much lower. Those making the movies are more intimately aware of the ridiculousness of this series.

I read a released part of a early, early script for the 2008 movie in around 2005 or something. It was pretty terrible. Don't remember how much it was the same as the 2008 one, but I was shocked at how bad it was-- dialogue and plot.

I feel like this is actually where Indiana Jones is actually at. The third movie was a fluke, which somehow managed to come together in a way that, despite high-speed motorcycle chases, managed to get above the sum of its parts. The Holy Grail gave the movie undue weight and epicness that wasn't actually there in the minds of the creators.

Given the creator is George Lucas, I do not think we can be particularly surprised. It is pretty clear that Lucas is not a good storyteller or writer as a matter of course and can only capture our imaginations by mistake. Lucas succeeds because he uses epic stories-- everything else is a vast amount of corniness which people who can carry a bit of weight have to pull down as much as they can. In The Last Crusade, the subject matter (Holy Grail and Nazis, two very weighty subjects, combined with the "young Indy" aspect as well as the semi-realistic Jones-as-professor opening), Harrison Ford and Sean Connery managed to weigh the film down enough to keep its feet on the ground.

Lucas, I regret to say, probably didn't know what happened in that third movie. He merely regarded it as one of the same as the other two). He merely kept going with the apparently winning formula.

But the apparently equal bits of story (we had "life-stuff" in Crusade, we should have "life stuff" in Crystal Skull) didn't carry the same weight- Shia LaBoef does not carry the same weight as Sean Connery. Add aliens, and you lose all semblance of seriousness that, for example, child slavery could bring in One or Two (I forget which one that was).

The movie wasn't terrible though. Aside from the ridiculous fridge episode and the Totally Unneccessary Groundhog that just drove that scene right into the ground, it was a reasonably decent Indiana Jones movie-- it was just one that should be viewed on the same level as the first two movies, rather than the splendid and more serious Last Crusade.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shia LaBoef does not carry the same weight as Sean Connery.
Understatement of the decade. [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
In my opinion, the only Indiana Jones movie that is actually good is the third one. It managed to transcend the total ridiculousness of the first two (imo, they are ridiculous and fit in very well with the fourth).

All else aside (and there's a lot):

Relic of Judaism. Relic of Hinduism. Relic of Christianity. Relic of... Aliens.

>singing< One of these things is not like the other...

I'd make a vote for the first movie being pretty good; certain scenes (sword vs. gun, coat hanger, snake pit) border on the iconic. The second one had a screechy, borderline useless female lead and a karate-kicking Asian kid sidekick.

I'd say it's like the Star Trek movies in reverse, but I'm not really wanting to give them a fifth movie to prove or disprove the point.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.