FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Formality within marriage

Author Topic: Formality within marriage
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided that I shall address the Queen of Men as 'thou', as in "Canst thou pass me the milk, please?" There are two justifications for this:

• She is my wife, and it makes sense to be informal; I would not address her as 'vous' in French, 'Sie' in German, or 'De' in Norwegian, so what's with the second-person-plural in English?
  • She is my wife, and it makes sense to be respectful; I would address her as 'vous' in French, 'Sie' in German, and 'De' in Norwegian, and while consistency is a fine thing, these Americans for some reason hear the second-person-singular as being more formal. True courtesy takes into account the tastes of the recipient.

I can't make up my mind which is the better justification; what do you lot think?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "better," to whom are you attempting to justify it?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
If my husband (to be) phrased the question that way, my response would be two-fold:
Part 1, the First: I'd giggle.
Part 2, the Second: I'd ask him when he started drinking milk.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Stop butchering ye ole' english!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is rather sweet. Familiar can be respectful. What does your wife think?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Stop butchering ye ole' english!

I assure ye, sirrah, that I speak it rather better than ye speak the modern.

quote:
What does your wife think?
She liked the second justification better.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved hearing older couple refer to each other, even when talking to each other directly, as Mr. and Mrs. It sounded... quaint?

I refer to my wife with any number of names, often from across the house, including "Mrs. Bridges," "You wily beast," "Heart of my hearts," and "O my Queen."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to simply restructure the wording on many requests I make of my wife.

Whereas with one person I might say, "Could you pass the milk please," I might say to her, "Honey, have we got any milk that can be spared for me?" The mere fact I speak to my wife in a unique way seems to accomplish the same thing as being extra polite.

Obviously if I spoke to her in a unique way that was also mean, it wouldn't work.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I've occasionally addressed my wife as "mommy". Comes from telling the kids "mommy asked you to pick that up" and "let's go see mommy", etc. I used to wonder why my grandfathers would address their wives as "mother" but I'm getting it now.

That has nothing to do with formality, of course. Sometimes I venture a "dearest wife", or "sweet lady". That isn't really about being formal either.

We DO make a point of "please" and "thank you". We always have. The nice thing about talking that way with each other is that all of the kids pick it up automatically.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle is a practicing Quaker who uses the familiar form of address (thee/thy/thou) instead of the formal (you/yours). As a kid, I used to regard the familiar as a more formal form of address, because, after all, that's what they use in the Bible, right?

Anyway, just random observations from me again, I guess...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In the anime, Kenshin always called Kaoru "Kaoru-dono."
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackwardBlackbird
Member # 12224

- posted      Profile for BackwardBlackbird           Edit/Delete Post 
Kenshin's awesome... I'm all for that. At the same time, I just like the idea of having a special way to talk to a special person. Thee and thou has always seemed more intimate to me than you, because you is used with everybody. I think it's also that I reread Dark Tower recently [Smile]
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what made you decide to address your wife as "thou" since the contradictory justifications seem interchangeable for your purposes?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

How should I know? Am I a well-designed computer, with access to its own source code, that I should be able to trace my motivations in my execution stack?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that translates to "God made him do it".
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, thought maybe you'd turned Quaker.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I believe that translates to "God made him do it".

Come on, that was a cheap shot. LOL
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL that was awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:

Like I said . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:

Like I said . . .
It's the rivka comedy hour! Give her a big hand, folks, she's here all week! [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
These Americans for some reason hear the second-person-singular as being more formal.

I'm pretty sure it's not just Americans, but all English speakers. And really, it isn't that we find the singular form more formal, but that we find the archaic form more formal, regardless of its erstwhile meaning.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I eventually had to give this up. I found myself hesitating before every sentence to check that I'd got my pronoun right and verbs conjugal-ated correctly.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it was adorable while it lasted, though.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I'm really liking "Oh my Queen . . . "

*wonders what the laws of probability would say to husband addressing her in such a manner*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I take the opposite course of action, seeking the least possible formality, sometimes referring to one another as stink-face or rumble-bum.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer wench. When she didn't smack me the first time, I kept it up.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be really behind the times on this one but...

...King of Men is married o.O

I think the poles just flipped...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.