FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Jury Duty! There's no way I can go! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help! Jury Duty! There's no way I can go!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
try here.

That link isn't very specific....the link I posted goes right to the actual beginning of the forms you need to file.

Good luck...you will have to do this someday, Syn....it's part of being a citizen, and it's not the state's fault you have financial difficulties, or transportation issues.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to click on the stupidest website ever thread. I clicked on Kwea's link before reading the rest of the post and sat there going, how is this the stupidest website ever? [Smile] Then I read the thread title and the rest of the post and it all made sense.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*aware of this...*

I sure do hope I can do my civil duty and be financially stable.

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
try here.

That link isn't very specific....the link I posted goes right to the actual beginning of the forms you need to file.

Good luck...you will have to do this someday, Syn....it's part of being a citizen, and it's not the state's fault you have financial difficulties, or transportation issues.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Did someone say they got $60 for a day of jury duty? I think I got $13, plus $5 travel reimbursement. Fortunately at the time I had a good job and could spare the day, but it really upset me to think about people who weren't so fortunate.

In my county in California, the pay is $15 per day after the first day (which I think might be $5 for that), plus mileage one-way and free parking. The hang-up on the parking is that the free lot is several blocks from the courthouses (yes, they've got one for criminal and one for civil), and you have to ride a trolley to and from the courthouses.

And Rivka...I doubt that the judge's position in my case is an uncommon attitude here in my county. This part of California is very conservative.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Yeah, I'd be a terrible person to live with. Even a husband would would to have his own house if he lived with me for 5 seconds.
I hope you can find something and get a better job. After this job is over I will try my hand at temporary jobs again. On call jobs.
Good luck!
If all else fails, we could start a mafia...

Thanks for the thought. I really like my job, and I'm hoping that the cutback in hours is only temporary. Unfortunately, I'm not too hopeful about finding other work...it's still nasty around here in that way.

The semester is almost over, but I do tutoring, and I live right across the street from the local State University campus, so maybe I'll pick up some tutoring...if anyone can afford it after all the rate hikes.

See, that's the one thing I really hate about my job...I have to follow what the economy is doing and so I'm right up to date on how crappy it still is. [Wall Bash]

And, oops, this is probably a double post. Sorry.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Any developments?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Being an anarchist has its down sides, but one advantage is that I never have to worry about jury duty. Once they hear, "I'm sorry, I don't recognize the right of this court to pass sentence on anyone," they let you go pretty quickly.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I rescheduled it for next week. The big problem is my hours have been DRASTICALLY cut.
So I need every bit of money I can get my hands on. I sent the note last week, but I haven't heard anything in response.
I am not sure what to do. I also have to apply for food stamps as well as I only worked two days this week and they only gave me five hours for next week...
So, yeah, that is quite bad...
And there's the cough too...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.