FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Multivariable Calculus - Formula Suggestions?

Author Topic: Multivariable Calculus - Formula Suggestions?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
So tomorrow I have the final for a multivariable calculus course my major is making me take. I've been doing surprisingly well, and the teacher lets us write down one page of notes for each test with whatever we want whatsoever.

Dutifully, I copied about 50 formulas that we encountered this semester but due to my freakishly small handwriting still have some space left on the page.

Then I learned that the professor decided to give us two pages of notes. *groan!*

Anyone have any formula suggestions that might prove useful?

Topics on this test from the last chapter are:

Vector Fields (curl, divergence)
Line integrals - fundamental theorem, independence of path, conservative fields
Green's Theorem, divergence, flux
Surface Integrals, Flux vector field
The Divergence Theorem

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always found the trig function derivatives/integrals to be useful. The basic ones like sin and cos are easy to remember, but the others get trickier (and I usually had to refer to the cover of my textbooks for those).

apart from that it's been enough years that I forget which formulae were important. (sorry)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
I's suggest copying some representative problems and solutions in the space- both from hw and from lectures. A friend of mine teaches this course and his exam structure was to have a few questions requiring the student to know definitions, a few questions from previous hws and then a few questions requiring deeper understanding.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I always put in examples when allowed to bring a notes page.

And in the classes that did not allow that, there are plenty of places in a graphing calculator to store equations and such. Great trick, that.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
And in the classes that did not allow that, there are plenty of places in a graphing calculator to store equations and such. Great trick, that.

It's called "cheating". [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Oh no. I guess I'll have to send back my degree [Frown] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Really?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Transformations between cartesian and spherical and polar coordinates.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
wait, when did you have a calculus class which allowed calculators? The only match class I've taken past Algebra 2 in HS which allowed calculators was (possibly) Linear Algebra, and I'm not even sure on that one.

Calc 1,2 & 3 and Diffeq 1&2 they always made sure we didn't need them (probably to avoid that kind of thing)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
wait, when did you have a calculus class which allowed calculators? The only match class I've taken past Algebra 2 in HS which allowed calculators was (possibly) Linear Algebra, and I'm not even sure on that one.
It's been quite a few years since I was an undergrad, and have forgotten which classes allowed graphing calculators and which ones did not. Thinking back, I'm betting they weren't allowed in my calculus classes. My calculator at the time could do derivatives and integrals (TI-89), which would have been a far greater degree of cheating than anything I did.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Higher level calculus classes I was in generally allowed an index card of notes and a graphing calculator (your choice).

Of course, I never brought either. Part of the reason they were allowed was, the problems were mostly chosen such that having such things was very little help, if any. Almost everyone else still brought them, though.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
In my computer science program, 10 years ago at MTSU, we were recommended to have a graphing calculator (and strongly recommended in specific to have the TI-89) for Calc I, II, III, and Diff. Equations. Having one actually afforded little opportunity for cheating (mostly by the phrase "show your work").
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.