FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blackwater waging a war against Islam?? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blackwater waging a war against Islam??
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
I apologize for my lack of Muslim day of rest.

Not missing. Wrong.

Which makes it about in line with most everything else you say, so I don't know why I'm surprised.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It could happen, yes. But not the way you described it. Many more changes would have to take place beyond just 'Muslims taking over the city council'.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Who passes city ordinances?

I agree with a city that is mostly Muslim shutting down all the bars and mandating women covered in the streets. A Burka is no different than laws requiring Bikini tops. Men and women are equal under the law, why should women be required to cover their breasts when men are not? This isn't a legal question rather a cultural one. Where in the constitution is it required to wear a top if you are a female?

I believe our founding fathers understood the best government is the one that is closest to the people. The power pyramid is local, state, federal. If the majority of your local govt is against the consumption of meat and you aren't, move to another town. What happens when the national government outlaws meat consumption?

Think about it. The strongest powers, constitutionally are given to the local government. Very few are granted to the national. This creates a place where people can live as they choose. If the majority in your area are against you, move to an area you prefer. When these things are vested in the federal govt, there is no escape...no freedom. The only rights the local governments cannot remove are the few spelled out in the constitution to the federal government. Like the right to bear arms, search and seizure, free speech, etc. Healthcare is not there. There are no federal laws regarding lawn mowing or watering of one's lawn. Some towns have an abundance of water, others do not. Should their be a federal law concerning the watering of lawns due to our national interest in water preservation? Our founders understood the best government is one that is closest to the people. We have states that have instituted state healthcare policies...I am in agreement with those states. It is their right since it isn't in the pervue of the federal government. If you want universal healthcare, move to OR or MA. If you're sick of the taxes, move out of OR or MA....gotta love freedom.

The constitution limits federal powers and leaves broad powers to the states.

I can't say it as well as Barack Obama..the constitutional lawyer.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJsTjblC-Y

[ December 22, 2009, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Burka is no different than laws requiring Bikini tops.
Okay, maybe that's the dumbest thing you've said.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Parkour, the US was formed as a federation of sovereign states. Most of the power of the central government dates from your civil war.

The formation of the united states removed sovereignty from the individual states, so it was not formed as a coalition of sovereign states. It became a sovereign federation comprised of states with a good degree of autonomy for internal regulation of some affairs.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
" Where in the constitution is it required to wear a top if you are a female?" For wearing a top--no where. For wearing a Burka, or requiring head scarves-- the Separation of Church and State. Any woman in that town who would not wish to wear such clothing, or who would be fined/jailed for its absence would simply sue, take it to court, and get the thing thrown out.

Mal, your arguments seem to miss some basic facts.

51% Muslim does not equal Majority Fanatic Muslim.

The Power of the City Government while broader in scope, does not trump State or Federal government.
There are safety precautions in those that protect the minorities--even the white male protestant minority.

Our war in Afghanistan and Iraq will in no way change the amount of Islamic believers in the US. Saying, "They are taking over in Michigan so lets just carpet bomb Iraq" does not make sense.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
A Burka is no different than laws requiring Bikini tops.
Okay, maybe that's the dumbest thing you've said.
So far! But the day is young yet.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Parkour, the US was formed as a federation of sovereign states. Most of the power of the central government dates from your civil war.

The formation of the united states removed sovereignty from the individual states, so it was not formed as a coalition of sovereign states. It became a sovereign federation comprised of states with a good degree of autonomy for internal regulation of some affairs.
I don't think this is as clear-cut as you make it out to believe. There's a well known grammatical observation that suggests otherwise.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It is possible, but if you grant that the definition of sovereignty applies in determining whether or not an entity like, say, Virginia is sovereign, then the states were not sovereign the second they became included in the United States.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.