FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Survior of Both Atomic Bombs Dies at 93

Author Topic: Survior of Both Atomic Bombs Dies at 93
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
New York Times

Yikes.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Ms. Yamasaki said he had recently been visited by the American film director James Cameron to discuss a film project on atomic bombs.
That's interesting. James Cameron has done that a few times already.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
They're fading, those old people who lived through the war. It won't be long until we see headlines like "Last survivor of active combat in WWII" dies - a couple of decades, say.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
"His eardrums were ruptured"? And that didn't make him deaf?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikipedia:

quote:
Hearing is usually recovered fully, but chronic infection over a long period may lead to permanent hearing loss.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as someone prone to ear infections, yeah, they can heal.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 40% deaf in my left ear because of an infection in my youth, so yeah.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
From the article,
"He was so healthy, he thought it would have been unfair to people who were really sick,"

That's a fantastic example of Asian thinking. I don't necessarily agree, but it still amazes me just how differently older Japanese and Chinese people approach things than I do.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.