FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Request

Author Topic: A Request
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
This is unrelated to my recent comments about posting here in Chinese.

Some background:

I have an enormously important Chinese exam coming in a few weeks. The last time I took a Chinese class was three years ago, and I need to maximize the power of the part of my brain that handles Chinese, specifically character recognition. To that aim I have been studying character cards, reading (or attempting to read) Chinese newspapers, and now I would like to do something that will help me here.

If nobody objects, I'll continue posting in English, but after trying out a post I am going to retype the entire entry using Chinese in a new paragraph below the post. This will force me to use Chinese in a way I am not completely use to. It will probably also decrease how much actual posting I do here (A bonus to some). At the heart of this request is the desire to take something I already do and get more benefit out of it. Who knows? I may continue re-translating in Chinese for the rest of the time I post here if it's a fruitful enough endeavor.

I also wanted to give the community a heads up so that people know what's going on, as well as finding out if for some reason doing that is tacky or rude in a way I don't realize.

I won't be translating this post into Chinese. [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I won't be translating this post into Chinese.
Psh, slacker.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you do the translations and then not post them? My background is that I am half Chinese, I took Chinese for a while, I also took Arabic, Russian, German, and a handful of other languages, and I majored in Linguistics, and yet I find it irritating when people post in other languages. I love language like I love pumpkin pie ... not stuffed inside the turkey.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Couldn't you do the translations and then not post them? My background is that I am half Chinese, I took Chinese for a while, I also took Arabic, Russian, German, and a handful of other languages, and I majored in Linguistics, and yet I find it irritating when people post in other languages. I love language like I love pumpkin pie ... not stuffed inside the turkey.

I could, but then I couldn't look at them again and see if I have made mistakes. I forgot to mention too that I welcome anybody proficient in characters to correct my translations.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd find it intriguing.

I couldn't remotely do it mind you (or help much for that matter), but it would be a fun way for me to pick up some new vocabulary.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could make a thread with the chinese posts?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
Maybe you could make a thread with the chinese posts?

You mean a thread where I dump all the Chinese translations?
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, go for it. It's not a big deal. It's not going to put anybody out to look over the Chinese to the next post.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why it would matter if you translated into Chinese. As long as you give the non-translated version I am happy. When people post without translating, it does annoy me, but giving multiple versions is cool.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What scholarette said. Sounds good to me.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Agreed. Seems like a cool way to enhance language learning.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You keep posting without translations. The anticipation is killing me.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be any help in correcting translations, just so you know.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Agreed. Seems like a cool way to enhance language learning.
Ditto ditto.

Should be interesting.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Sorry Matt! I'll do better in the future.

I can't promise I'll always be able to convey what I want to say, when I write, so often the characters might be my best guess.

對不起馬泰! 從現在我會改正。

我不能承認我每一次鞋子寫對了。 常常我所寫的字只是我最好的試圖。

edit:
Wow! This is taking so much effort, I'm already feeling pretty tired.

哇塞! 這樣練習方式好形窟,我已經累了。

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
日本語 です。
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
BB: 加油!
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it correct to assume the [30 02] (by the way how do you get those symbols anyway?) is roughly equivalent to a period?
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The circle that looks like a period is a period. I'm using Windows mandarin protocol to type characters on the forum.

那看得像句號的圈就是句號。  我用了 microsoft 的普通話體制為在hatrack論壇上寫字.

sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, I'm curious. Are you Chinese, and do you have any background in it outside of the classroom?
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn: That's random. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sinflower:
BlackBlade, I'm curious. Are you Chinese, and do you have any background in it outside of the classroom?

He's not Chinese. He was raised largely in Southeast Asia, and did his mission in Taiwan.

I think he was raised at least partly in Hong Kong, IIRC.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Syn: That's random. [Big Grin]

And incorrect. He's translating into Chinese, not Japanese.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be doing the same, only with my version of spelling.

Il b ding teh same only wiht mine vesrion of speling

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
quote:
Originally posted by sinflower:

He's not Chinese. He was raised largely in Southeast Asia, and did his mission in Taiwan.

I think he was raised at least partly in Hong Kong, IIRC.

steven got it correctly.

steven 說得對。

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. Are Chinese characters letters, which together create words/thoughts/ideas, or are they words in and of themselves?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Words, or ideas that can be combined to create new words.

Most of the characters themselves are made up of radicals, character components that can either lend meaning or sound to the character, so that if you know the radicals, you can see at a glance which characters have meanings related to "water", which characters are pronounced "shan", and so on.

At least, that's the theory as I understand it. In practice, nothing is that simple, but that's generally how it works.

Edit: I should point out that my knowledge of Chinese characters comes largely through having studied Japanese, which still uses a few thousand of the Chinese characters. I've never formally studied Chinese itself, though I've looked a bit into the history of the writing system, so if I've made any errors in my brief synopsis, someone who understands the Chinese system better will be along soon to correct me, I'm sure.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I predict Blackblade will seriously cutback on the length and number of his posts for as long as he continues translating.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I predict Blackblade will seriously cutback on the length and number of his posts for as long as he continues translating.

That's certainly a possibility. It might be that way at the start, but I intend to become proficient enough that translating lengthy posts is not a problem.

你可能說真的。  已開始我要做這樣子, 但是 105;一定要變成那麽優秀所以翻譯很長的語言沒問題。

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife loves doing this with Japanese. She speaks 6-7 languages, and is fluent in 4.

It's a shame English isn't one of the ones she is fluent in. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you taking the Foreign Service exam again?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Are you taking the Foreign Service exam again?

Yes in February most likely. I'll create a thread when I start up again.

是的, 大概二月那時候。  我又開始的時候我 371;創造一個新缐。

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well I didn't make a big deal about it but I took my examinations back in late January, and they were hard to say the least. I thought my strong exam was the listening comprehension exam while my weak one was character recognition. Strangely enough, (would irony fit here?) it was reversed, I did respectably on character recognition, while I tanked at listening comprehension. I honestly cannot explain it. In any case I did not score high enough to pass, and continue my candidacy. What little posting I did here really did feel like it woke up parts of my brain that were sleeping. I can take these same exams again in 6 months, I think I am going to revert to posting in Chinese. The hard part for me is wanting to say things as best I can, and not having the Chinese words available. It was taking me a very long time to figure out how to say words I had never translated before. Part of me knows however that that is a necessary step in becoming fluent. Eventually, one day you are suddenly reading and you realize that you just read every word without difficulty, or that while you are speaking a phrase you could not say before suddenly comes to mind.

Thanks for all the help folks, I've still got more eggs in my basket, which leads me to another thread.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.