FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hyperion and Endymion(possible spoilers)

Author Topic: Hyperion and Endymion(possible spoilers)
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read the first two Hyperion books and fell in love with them. Some of the best science fiction I've read in a long time.

So I just started Endymion, I'm actually about half way through right now, and to put it simply...I'm bored. I just don't find this interesting at all. Now, I was warned by multiple people that these next two books were very different. And even the book itself warns you about this in the first page. But still, I expected something akin to what was so wonderful about the first two books. Endymion mostly seems to be an adventure novel, following a small group of characters around as they traverse the galaxy as they are being pursued by their enemy. Sure, there are some great moments, and interesting sections that bring up intriguing issues regarding the universe they're in, but those seem few and far between for me. I just don't care enough about these characters really to be invested in their plight without more external things going on. The ship was the most interesting character and now it's hanging out in a river.

I'm also growing wary of Raul's constant references to all his former jobs! "Back when I was a blackjack dealer in Glasgow, back when i used to deep see fish in Ontario, back when i was a forest ranger in the deep jungles of Timini, back when I ran a polar bear sanctuary in Caprice...."

It's starting to drive me nuts.

Am I alone in this? Is there a payoff on the way? The rest of the book better not be them floating down the river from planet to planet. Is the last book different? I was really excited to finish this series and right now I'm just muddling through.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I too absolutely loved the first two. I too was less overwhelmed with the second two.

<minor spoilerish>
They will not be floating down the river for the whole two books. But they will be for most of this book.
</minor spoilerish>

The payoff? Well, it's something of a payoff to get to the end of the story. I was satisfied with the ending, though there are unanswered questions. (And there were a few points along the way when I felt a little cheated by the author.)

As much as I've loved some of Dan Simmons' stories (I think the world creation in Hyperion is some of the best I've read), I think I've decided he is not the author for me. His books are too bloated. I had to force myself to the end of Carrion Comfort, I stalled out in The Terror, and I've read many complaints about Drood being too bloated as well. It's too bad really, but there are way too many books I'm anxious to get to, to be bogged down with a book I'm forcing myself to read.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
I've reread the other three book of the Cantos, never bothered with Endymion.

The fourth book has a pretty emotional ending. I thought it was well done.

I liked the Terror, but I read most of it at one sitting, during a plane trip.

I liked Ilium, but not Olympos. Nothing really got explained, one character tells another about ten times "I'll explain everything soon...but not yet".

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, I had to check the date on your post twice because I swear I've heard those exact sentiments expressed here.

Anyway, I ended up loving the last two books, even though they are very different from the first two. I ended up caring about Raul and Aenea a great deal over the course of the two books.

I think you'll enjoy the next one in the series better. It's a bit more epic in scope.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone give me the overall flavor of the books? I remember reading synopses and thinking, "I wouldn't like these," but now I don't remember why.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I got bored with the second book, as much as I loved Hyperion.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by swbarnes2:
The fourth book has a pretty emotional ending. I thought it was well done.

I liked Ilium, but not Olympos. Nothing really got explained, one character tells another about ten times "I'll explain everything soon...but not yet".

I agree with this. I thought the 4th was better than the third, and I liked it a lot.

Also, Olympos is very dissatisfying. It would have been better if the Shakespeare side of it simply was not there (as against the Proust side of it. If you've read it you know what I mean). The Shakespeare side was more fantastical than sci-fi.

Sorry- spent more time on the wrong books. oops.

Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are probably, taken together, one of the top 10 sci-fi novels I've read. Endymion and Rise of Endymion are probably more like top 50.

There's some neat stuff in The last 2 books. though.

I like the ice wraiths on the ice planet. Mucho awesome. Also, the female assassin character is cool.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
I think the world creation in Hyperion is some of the best I've read
yes, this is what sucked me in, and what I sorely miss.

Stephan, when you say second book do you mean Fall of Hyperion or Endymion? Cause I absolutely loved Fall of Hyperion.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I'd of course keep reading no matter what, but I really wanted to hear some positive news regarding the progression of the story.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well I finished Endymion, and I'll be starting Rise soon. It DID get better, though it took a bit of time. I found it amusing that the story really started to engage me and pique my interest when they meet the priest character on the ice planet. If you know me at all you might be able to appreciate how ironic that is. [Smile]
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I stalled out in the middle of Rise...

I love the idea behind The Terror, but I'm afraid I won't like it.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
[QUOTE]

Stephan, when you say second book do you mean Fall of Hyperion or Endymion? Cause I absolutely loved Fall of Hyperion.

I struggled through the first 50 or so pages of Fall of Hyperion, and stopped. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
The first two Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are probably the best science fiction books I have ever read. The world building is just spectacular. I remember finding the second book first. I had already read Carrion Comfort so I knew I liked the author. So I flipped through the book and the opening page completely hooked me. Keats whole it's the end of the world so I was invited to a party spiel. Once I figured out it was part two I found the first book and spent a week reading them back to back.

The second two are okay but the first two are just so amazing.

Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.