FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recommend me a book…

Author Topic: Recommend me a book…
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
…if you feel like it. Emphasis on “me” and “a”. [Smile]

I know there are other threads recommending favourite books at large – I’m sure I’ve seen one or several hundred of them way back when. In fact, I probably even posted one or several hundred suggestions.

However, I now have a gorgeous baby boy to play with and am waaaay more fussy, picky, and/or choosy about what I spend my time reading. I’m also a chronic re-reader and would rather re-read a book I know is good than trudge through dross looking for something worthwhile. And worse, I can’t bring myself to trawl through lists of bestsellers or “other peoples favourites” to find one that I might like. So I thought to myself, where better to come for recommendations than Hatrack? And then I thought, Hatrack will probably just tell me to join goodreads! And THEN I thought, well, why not do both.

So I’ll tell you what I like, and if you so wish, please recommend me a book that you think I would enjoy. Yes, this is all about me… (and I have no “but” to follow that with). [Wink]

~

Some Books I Like:
•Ender’s Game (of course) but I found some of OSC’s other work hard going.
•Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon – Americans probably know this as “Outlander”. However, I don’t think the Lord John books are as good. I also found Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati very clumsy by comparison.
•The Axis trilogy by Sara Douglass, and the subsequent Wayfarer Redemption trilogy . Again, I didn’t like some of her other books.
•“Tomorrow When the War Began” series by John Marsden. I’m yet to read a book by John Marsden that I don’t like.
•Deepwater Black by Ken Catran.
•Ill Wind by Rachel Caine.
•Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.
•I like some of Dean Koontz, I used to read Dick Francis until I read them all. I like some of Jodi Picoult. I think Marian Keyes and Janet Evanovich are funny, if I’m in the mood.
•I like books to have a good story, be well written, and have decent characters (who doesn’t?) and I like authors who assume their reader has at least a small amount of intelligence – ie, who don’t spell every little thing out.

Books that are good but that I didn’t appreciate as much as others might:
Dune.
LOTR. Yeah, yeah, don’t shoot me.
A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.

I’m in the Wheel of Time was Way Too Long camp (made it to about 9 before I gave up).

So there you have it. Any suggestions?

Oh, and Hi. I know it’s been a while. I’ve been busy. [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
For me, this was a whoops-I-didn't-notice-I-stayed-up-til-4am books. I honestly recommend this book to everyone who doesn't hate high fantasy. It takes place in a rich, well thought out world, and the main character is compelling and credible. Very well written. It's not all swords and monsters like some fantasy (though there is a good chunk of that in there).
It's the first book in a trilogy, and the only one written so far. The next installment was originally set to come out in '09, but it's not finished, and the author declined to say when it will be done.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Butcher's books - the Dresden files and the Codex Alera might fit your bill.

If you want a traditional fantasy-type book, I'm also reading Sherwood Smith's Inda series...it takes a bit of work because the naming of the characters causes much confusion and the world is so in-depth, but she definitely doesn't spell everything out for her readers. It's complex, and Inda is very Ender-esque (young, military genius, born leader.)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold.
The Farseer/Liveship/Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Berg- Son of Avonar
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I knew a book to definitely recommend you, because I dislike the same books you dislike (and therefore may like similar books as you). Unfortunately besides Ender's Game I haven't read the books you like.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tt&t:
Oh, and Hi. I know it’s been a while. I’ve been busy. [Smile]

Clearly!
quote:
However, I now have a gorgeous baby boy to play with

[Cool]

quote:
And then I thought, Hatrack will probably just tell me to join goodreads! And THEN I thought, well, why not do both.

Good plan. What's your username on Goodreads?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
For me, this was a whoops-I-didn't-notice-I-stayed-up-til-4am books. I honestly recommend this book to everyone who doesn't hate high fantasy. It takes place in a rich, well thought out world, and the main character is compelling and credible. Very well written. It's not all swords and monsters like some fantasy (though there is a good chunk of that in there).
It's the first book in a trilogy, and the only one written so far. The next installment was originally set to come out in '09, but it's not finished, and the author declined to say when it will be done.

Second this one. Probably the best book I read in 09, certainly the greatest new fantasy novel out there.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about Robin Hobb since he didnt like LotR or A Game of Thrones.

Ofcourse, I havent read a lot of the books that liked so maybe I'm wrong.

Eh, do you like comics at all?

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Robin Hobb, particularly the Farseer books.

Name of the Wind was excellent, but long. Can't wait for the second book.

All of the Jim Butcher stuff is great, and the Dresden Files are particularly good, and most of them are a fairly easy read.

Kelly Armstrong has a great series as well, and if you liked Bitten the rest of her series is right up your alley.

Sherwood Smith's Inda series is great, but very, very meaty. Lots of names, really think books, but great world building.

Anything by Keri Arthur as well. She has a cool series, although there is a lot of sex in it. Not as much as Laurell K. Hamilton, but a lot.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bujold has a great 2 book (so far) series. The Curse of Chalion is the first, and very good. The second was Paladin of Souls, and it was possibly the best fantasy book I have read in years.It is my top ten of all time books list.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

The Lies of Loch Lamorra (Scott Lynch) is great, and different from anything else mentioned so far as well.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I don't know if I really know you, but you have good taste in books. I also didn't appreciate Dune or LOTR (and get flack for it), and I made it to book 9 of WOT. [Smile]

I agree that the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are very good and I can't wait for his new one this spring. He writes a new one every year (or has for the last 11 years so that's a good trend) so if you get into it, you can look forward to a new one every year. Furthermore, while it's a long series, each book has a beginning, middle, and satisfying conclusion. There are subplots left open and arcs that span several books, but you can read one and enjoy it. Having said all of that, I found that Jim Butcher had a breaking in period. His first 3 books are not as good as the rest. The writing style is a bit grating and the main character comes across as whiny. I'm not sure why I stuck with them, but I'm glad I did, because his writing gets better and when it does, it also takes care of the MC -- whose earlier weaknesses can, I think, also be attributed to writing style. [Smile]

Hmmm...as for another suggestion...have you read the Rhapsody Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon? It had its weaknesses, but I did enjoy the romance intertwined with high fantasy.

I don't have too many other suggestions. At the moment, I've wandered off scifi/fantasy and over to romance. But I think, like you, I'm really just after a good story, well written, with good characters. In any genre, those seem to be hard to come by, but lately I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm done digging through the dregs of speculative fiction, or of any genre for that matter.

Actually, I've recently narrowed down my preference to one most important thing: characters. I'll forgive a writing style that's only ok or a plot with a few holes in it as long as I'm in love with the characters and really care about them.

Now, how to search by "strong characters?" Any ideas...seriously...?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Some of them sound very good. I usually try not to read a good series where only the first book is out though, but we'll see!

I've read the Soldier Son by Hobb - are the other trilogies similar?

Dabbler - that's ok, feel free to tell me what you like anyway. [Smile]

No, comics aren't really my thing.

Kwea, I've read all the Bitten ones - I liked the ones about the original characters a lot better than those about Paige & co.

Rivka - Kyliet.

Christine, thanks. [Smile] I haven't read the Rhapsody Trilogy - sounds good. I agree about the characters, too. If I come up with a good way to search by character I'll let you know! I've also been tending away from scifi/fantasy towards Outlander sort of books.

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rigante series by David Gemmel

I don't actually recognize a lot of the books on your list. But if you like fantasy - his books are incredible.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Hi tt&t!!! Welcome back [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Bujold has a great 2 book (so far) series. The Curse of Chalion is the first, and very good. The second was Paladin of Souls, and it was possibly the best fantasy book I have read in years.It is my top ten of all time books list.

Three. The Hallowed Hunt is the third, and competes with Paladin in sheer awesomeness.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh! I was all excited to correct that misstep by Kwea but dkw beat me to it. [Wink]

At any rate, I give another resounding recommendation to this series - for me, Hallowed Hunt is the best of the group.

Honestly, I hope Bujold writes more in this universe. I really enjoy it.

Kwea if you have not yet read Hallowed Hunt you absolutely must! ASAP Because if you liked the others, I think you will love it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am going to buy that one right now then. I have seen it, but always forget to look for it when I go back. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect there will be two more.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[QB] Thanks for the suggestions so far. Some of them sound very good. I usually try not to read a good series where only the first book is out though, but we'll see!

While it is a trilogy of sorts, it's not the sort of book that leaves you hanging. It's very fulfilling as a standalone novel.

quote:
I've read the Soldier Son by Hobb - are the other trilogies similar?
No, not at all. Actually, that's one of the better things about her writing, her books are radically different in style and atmosphere. If you didn't see the name, you probably wouldn't realize that, say, Soldier Son and Assassin Apprentice are by the same author. She's got an incredible range.

Her Assassin books are much slower and more contemplative than the Soldier Son series. Despite the premise, it's really more of a historical fiction book, set in a fantastic world. It goes pretty deep into long term relationships, how we view our selves, how our view of our self affects how we treat others. They're very slow and majestic books, although the language is surprisingly dry and simple for the genre. Epic stories and flowery language go hand in hand, usually.

If the main thing you liked about Shaman's Crossing was the quick pace and exciting storyline, her other books are probably not for you. If you liked the surreal and metaphysical aspects, especially the dreamworld, and liked how her characters interacted, you might enjoy them more.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Ok, a friend has lent me the Name of the Wind so I'll start there. [Smile]

On a side note, what's happened to Hatrack? I've been away all weekend and return to find my thread still on the front page.... in days gone by that would have been impossible! Craziness.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Just a wonderfully written book. Its one of those few books that not only has an interesting premise, but keeps your interest with very good writing. It was made into a movie last year but the book is way better.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

The book is ALWAYS way better. [Razz]
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I disagree, I think Gaiman's stories transfer better to the big screen. (Knows I'll get slammed for that.)
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Some stories are improved by cutting the fat off. Without agreeing, I could understand how some one could thing that No Country For Old Men is better than the book.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Just a wonderfully written book. Its one of those few books that not only has an interesting premise, but keeps your interest with very good writing. It was made into a movie last year but the book is way better.

Didn't watch the movie but did read the book and I thought two things about it: It was horrible and it was memorable. I actually struggled to get through this book because the writing annoyed me and because it was just so gosh darn sad! I understood the reason behind but hated the fact that the characters were never named. Basically, the heavy-handed literary elements drove me insane while reading it. HOWEVER, for some reason I remember that book a lot butter almost two years later than most books I read and it's better in my memory than it was at the time, if that makes any sense. Anyway, strange book. Probably worth a read, but I can't honestly say it was a pleasant read. [Smile]

quote:

On a side note, what's happened to Hatrack? I've been away all weekend and return to find my thread still on the front page.... in days gone by that would have been impossible! Craziness.

Yeah, it's not very busy around here anymore. I probably need to find a new site where I can talk politics and the like, since we particularly never get to do that here anymore, but this is sitll a good group to talk books, movies, and TV with.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

I read the Name of the Wind. I agree - it is fantastic. [Smile]
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Argh! I was all excited to correct that misstep by Kwea but dkw beat me to it. [Wink]

At any rate, I give another resounding recommendation to this series - for me, Hallowed Hunt is the best of the group.

Honestly, I hope Bujold writes more in this universe. I really enjoy it.

Kwea if you have not yet read Hallowed Hunt you absolutely must! ASAP Because if you liked the others, I think you will love it.

There's a new Miles book out in November, Cryoburn. :-)
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
quote:

I disagree, I think Gaiman's stories transfer better to the big screen. (Knows I'll get slammed for that.)
Michael Crichton books usually turned out pretty good on the big screen.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

So I've now read the first two books of the Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to starting the third.

I'm also halfway through Assassin's Apprentice, which is also good, but not quite as good as the Liveship Traders.

Good recommendations - thanks [Smile]

tt&t
Member # 5600

Also - Hi Ela & Alcon [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.