FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The order of the Enders game books

Author Topic: The order of the Enders game books
anthony1992
Member # 12268

- posted      Profile for anthony1992           Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading these books and got to # 4 Children of the Mind and found out that its supposed to be the 11th book.

Is this a bad thing or should I continue to Enders shadow? [Confused] [Dont Know]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several sets of books:

The "Ender Series":

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

Then there's the "Bean Series"

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

"Ender in Exile", a random book that came later, despite coming between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, actually makes more sense to read after you've read Shadow of the Giant.

There's another book called First Meetings, which I think is just an anthology of short stories about how particular characters met other characters. And there's a book called "War of Gifts" which from what I hear is dumb and you shouldn't read period.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I start with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, personally, but I know people who prefer The Magician's Nephew.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
(In case it wasn't clear, you should read the Ender series in order, then the Bean series in order. Chronological order is less important than character arcs.)
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I start with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, personally, but I know people who prefer The Magician's Nephew.

I'm one of those, actually. I read The Magician's Nephew first because it was among some books I think my stepmother had gotten at a yard sale.

And it's such a shame, btw, that the movies haven't lived up to expectations. I'm now doubting they'll make it to the one story that has the most potential for cinematic awesomeness.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn Treader, which is probably my favorite, is set to be released in December of this year, from what I can tell. This, and the Horse and His Boy, are probably the only ones left that I'd actually pay to see in theaters.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark is Rising is a much better place to start than Over Sea Under Stone, despite TDiR actually being the second book in the series.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm with you. I read the Pern books in publication order too.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
The Dark is Rising is a much better place to start than Over Sea Under Stone, despite TDiR actually being the second book in the series.

I concur. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Wraong Cide!

Should probably change the title of the thread for "Order of book series" or something though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

I mostly do. I vaguely recall that Dragondrums came out after The White Dragon, but I read the whole Harper Hall trilogy between Dragonquest and the White Dragon. I'm not sure why, considering that it isn't really a trilogy.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
From a recent interview:

quote:
Jo Walton: Did you write Dragon that way to make it impossible to read the [Dragaera] series in chronological order?

Steven Brust: Jo, I am a serious writer, attempting to explore the limits of my craft while expressing my observations on the human conditions by the interaction of form and content within the....

Um, yeah.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, I vastly prefer written order to chronological order.

The only exception I can think of is the Vorkosigan series by Bujold. That should be read in chronological order, but that only affects the first few books in the series. She didn't go back and write prequels to her books like so many authors do.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Me, too.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I mostly do. I vaguely recall that Dragondrums came out after The White Dragon, but I read the whole Harper Hall trilogy between Dragonquest and the White Dragon. I'm not sure why, considering that it isn't really a trilogy.

Oh, I clump each of the trilogies together. And I usually start with Harper Hall, because those were the ones I started with, the very first time.

So I guess that's not precisely publication order. But close!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
I would start with Matthew and read right up to Revelation before reading Genesis. Leviticus can be skipped entirely.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
For the most part, I vastly prefer written order to chronological order.

The Fletch books and the Stainless Steel Rat books eventually go back to prequels, but I never read the prequels first.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How do the Stainless Steel Rat books hold up? I liked 'em, but haven't read any of them (or any Harrison, actually) sinch high school.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They're fun. Not great literature, but definitely fun.

And I could swear we've had this conversation before.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The Prince Capian movie was awesome.

And I read Chamber of Secrets and Prizoner of Azkaban before sorcerer's Stone.

PoA > SS > CoS (2nd worse in the series in front of Half Blood Prince)

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
How do the Stainless Steel Rat books hold up? I liked 'em, but haven't read any of them (or any Harrison, actually) sinch high school.

I still like the first three the best.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I read them all backwards. If they don't make sense by themselves, they are not worth reading.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I read OSUS and got about ten pages into TDiR before I stopped and lost interest. I'd like to get back into it though.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

I still like the first three the best.
Definitely agreed.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're fun. Not great literature, but definitely fun.

And I could swear we've had this conversation before.

I remember the conversation also, I think it might have been years ago when I added Jimmy diGriz to my favorite character of all time thread.

I also will say the first three are great, the rest are alright.

I would also recommend The Jupiter Plague, the Death World trilogy, and To the Stars.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.