FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Classroom Guilt

Author Topic: Classroom Guilt
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
So this week started a new quarter. I teach technology now and get new students each quarter. Its basically the first day of school again for me, and I have to come down hard and be a complete a**hole, especially in the environment I teach in. Wednesday I had a very rough class of about 36 students in a small room. They ran me ragged, but I never backed down. My next class only had 13 in it. I was still in "monster" mode going over my rules and routines. Today I give them their first real assignment, and find how slow they are. Guess what? These kids are special ed, and no one told me. I think I scared the crap out of them Wednesday, they are so freaking sweet and gentle.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. *sympathy*

I hope things smooth out for you and your students.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
These kids are special ed, and no one told me.

That is horrifying (although sadly, not surprising). There is guilt here, but it ain't yours.

(Also, it's probably good for them. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you know, you'll know how to treat them and I'm sure they'll come around pretty soon. It IS tough to start a "new" year every quarter. I'm glad I don'thave to.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Oi... That's kinda an important detail to be given in advance. Hopefully you'll be able to get a better read of the class, now, though.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
When I took ROTC, the Captain said it's always better to come down hard to start with because then you're the guy who mellowed out over time. If you start out too easy and get tougher, then you're the jerk.

This could work out in your favor.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Completely differant rules for special ed, especially with the varying degree's of the all encompassing department. What your Captain said is correct for most situations but not when you have thirteen very fragile kid's who you do not expect to become digital engineer's.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
AvidReader was trying to find the upside in an unfortunate situation. He wasn't recommending that Stephan treat special education students as if they were soldiers and he was their commanding officer.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.