FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion ad during the Super Bowl (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion ad during the Super Bowl
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mal- the issue was not the deformity of the child. The thing that worried the doctors was the high chance of DEATH to the mother.
Really? That's not the story I read. From the St. Augustine Record:

quote:
As the Tebow family gathered in New York last December for the announcement of the college Heisman Trophy winner, they were bombarded with media interview requests that included questions about their life in the Philippines, especially since Tim was born there.

In one interview, Pam Tebow related that during that pregnancy, a Philippine doctor suggested that she abort the fetus because the strong medications she was being treated with for amoebic dysentery, which she had contacted early in the pregnancy, could cause serious disabilities to the fetus.

"We knew that we could not do that," she said of the suggested abortion. "We all prayed to God for a healthy baby," she recalled. "And God answered our prayers when Timmy was born."

From ABC World News:

quote:
While there, Pam contracted amoebic dysentery and the medicines used for her recovery threatened her unborn fetus. Doctors advised her to abort the fetus. Pam ignored their advice and gave birth on Aug. 14, 1987, to a baby boy. That boy was Tim Tebow.
Mal is right. Sounds like the Medical Advice was not so much "you'll die if you don't have an abortion" but rather "get rid of the defective kid."
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
She was also diagnosed with placental abruption .

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20071007/NEWS/710060317?p=2&tc=pg

http://www.slate.com/id/2243218/

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Placental abruption, while dangerous to both mother and baby, is not usually a reason to suggest termination. At least, it's not for about the past 15 years or so; maybe it was longer ago, or maybe this is a non-US-medical-establishment thing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
When did this incident occur? It was the 80s, right?

Wasn't elective abortion illegal in the Phillipines then?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was which makes the whole story sort of dodgy. If, indeed, this was not about a risk to the mother, I am less concerned about the implication that women who ignore medical advice have happy outcomes.

As I have mentioned before, we haven't seen the ad.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Just to clarify, "placental abruption" can range from (relatively) mild to immediately life-threatening. Unless further specified, it isn't a diagnosis in and of itself that tells you much about what options were available.

At the severe end, the mother and fetus are both at risk of dying from hemorrhage secondary to uterine rupture and/or DIC. Sometimes immediate c-section is the only medically feasible treatment, and whether that means delivery vs. elective termination depends in good part on both the gestational time and the facilities available on-site for resuscitation and life support. [We are just now making it to reasonable viability for 24wk fetuses delivered with access to the highest-level care centers in the US. I don't know what the survival stats were back then and in that context.]

From eMedicine on Abruptio Placentae: Treatment & Medication:

quote:
Bleeding into the decidua basalis leads to separation of the placenta....The myometrium in this area becomes weakened and may rupture with increased intrauterine pressure during contractions. A myometrium rupture immediately leads to a life-threatening obstetrical emergency.

Severity of fetal distress correlates with the degree of placental separation. In near-complete or complete abruption, fetal death is inevitable unless an immediate cesarian delivery is performed.
Abruptio placentae occurs in about 1% of all pregnancies throughout the world.
Maternal and fetal death may occur because of hemorrhage and coagulopathy. The fetal perinatal mortality rate is approximately 15%.

---

Edited to add: In case it isn't clear, I haven't the foggiest idea about what class of placetal abruption the woman in question may have had.

Like kmboots, though, I think that level of detail about this particular case is not relevant to all of the potential concerns about the ad. I don't really know what it will look like yet either, and I'm happy to wait and find out.

[ February 05, 2010, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing to add except to see that I'm glad to see you back contributing facts and knowledge [Smile]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Yeah! CT is back!!!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Aw, good heavens. You are both too kind. [Smile]
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know, but as a US citizen she could have gone back home and had the procedure done there.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Just to clarify, "placental abruption" can range from (relatively) mild to immediately life-threatening. Unless further specified, it isn't a diagnosis in and of itself that tells you much about what options were available.

Fair enough.

quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Yeah! CT is back!!!

Seconded. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirded!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yozhik:
quote:
I don't know, but as a US citizen she could have gone back home and had the procedure done there.
Or it may have been that the Dr said "you are in danger" and thus not been elective at all.

I obviously don't know which. But neither does anyone else posting here.

Neither will anyone watching the add.

This is why I agree with CT (and kmboots)... knowing the details isn't relevant to the concerns about the ad.

quote:
Like kmboots, though, I think that level of detail about this particular case is not relevant to all of the potential concerns about the ad. I don't really know what it will look like yet either, and I'm happy to wait and find out

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by just_me:
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
I'm not totally sure on this, but I think I've heard rumours of Planned Parenthood being racist, specifically involving them trying to abort large numbers of black babies or something along those lines. If that's the case, then I do have a problem with them airing an ad during the Super Bowl, or under any circumstances for that matter.

[Eek!]

Can you be more specific and maybe provide some reference somewhere..???

Its in their Wikipedia article but I originally heard about it in a church pamphlet. I don't think I would take the allegations seriously though. After reading up on it it seems much more like an isolated incident rather than some kind of grand conspiracy.
Planned Parenthood Rebuttal

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was just about to post that, SoaPiNuReYe.

I think, "I heard about it in a church pamplet" should be information disallowed, along with, "apparently" and "my grandmother told me".

Evidence, people!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Yes, I was just about to post that, SoaPiNuReYe.

I think, "I heard about it in a church pamplet" should be information disallowed, along with, "apparently" and "my grandmother told me".

Evidence, people!

how about forwarded political chainmails? those are always golden!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Planned Parenthood does have a less-than stellar origin story, however. The founder was an avowed proponent of eugenics.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. Now, when SoaPiNuReYe posted that, it triggered in my mind a faint memory of the connection Dan_Frank is talking about, but I couldn't find anything about that in the brief research I did so I assumed I was thinking about another program.

However, plenty of founders of companies we don't usually dislike have had shady or extremely shady ideas. See: Henry Ford. Now their founders are dead and good the generally good or neutral stuff the do stands by itself.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I'm pretty sure we've been through the whole historical eugenics pro and con, but here are some relevant Margaret Sanger quotes:

quote:
"The campaign for birth control is not merely of eugenic value, but is practically identical with the final aims of eugenics.... We are convinced that racial regeneration, like individual regeneration, must come 'from within.' That is, it must be autonomous, self-directive, and not imposed from without."[25]

We maintain that a woman possessing an adequate knowledge of her reproductive functions is the best judge of the time and conditions under which her child should be brought into the world. We further maintain that it is her right, regardless of all other considerations, to determine whether she shall bear children or not, and how many children she shall bear if she chooses to become a mother... Only upon a free, self-determining motherhood can rest any unshakable structure of racial betterment.[26]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

From Planned Parenthood's Wikipedia article:
quote:
In 2007, The Advocate magazine (not The Advocate), which is run by Live Action Films, called Planned Parenthood offices in several states, offering to make donations if the money can be earmarked to abort black women's babies. The calls included one in July 2007 to Planned Parenthood of Idaho offering a donation if it could be earmarked for abortions for black women because, "the less black kids out there the better." Answering the phone call, the state organization's vice president of development and marketing said, "Understandable, understandable" and continued, "Excuse my hesitation, this is the first time I've had a donor call and make this kind of request, so I'm excited and want to make sure I don't leave anything out." Planned Parenthood of Idaho's CEO later issued a statement saying that the officer "violated the organization's principles and practices" and was suspended.[18] Planned Parenthood's mission specifically prohibits racial discrimination.[19]

The Focus on Planned Parenthood newsletter stated, "Most of the Planned Parenthood employees who took these calls quickly ended the conversation," those who didn't hang up had a "serious lack of judgement," and to remedy this "our national federation has put forth a Donation Acceptance Policy" but that policies already in place made it impossible for the two employees in this case to have actually earmarked the money for a woman of any specific race(s), even if the caller posing as a racist actually had finalized and sent the pledged donation. They added that the "entrapment" involved "a 30-minute conversation...edited down to about three minutes" where the conversation started about a normal non-racial donation but the caller later indicated the racist intent for the donation.[20] The editor of The Advocate stated that Planned Parenthood of Idaho and the six other states were selected, in part, for having laws that allow single party approval of taped telephone conversations.[21][22]

Like I said before, I think this is pretty much an isolated incident. My fault for not citing what I said earlier.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

I think the call was a bit unfair. I imagine if I got a call, I would be thinking a lot of things, but I would probably not say most of it. I can see me saying a variation of the don't leave anything out even as I envisioned ripping this person apart to my coworkers. Not to say that the person answering the phone was not racist, but based on a call designed to set them up (and 30 minutes of unread discussion), I would not judge them or the organization. We've all seen the stuff Colbert gets congressman to say in interviews. Now, if they set up a special category on their website "click here to donate for black woman's abortion" that would be concerning.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Agreed. The commercial just came on. It didn't seem too bad.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
The commercial itself seemed fairly nonconfrontational.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Following the link gets one to the "real" message. *shudder* I'm sure these folks are well-intentioned but they are paving a dangerous road.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A doctor recommending an abortion because of the risk to the mother's life is doing just that. "If you go through with this pregnancy, you have a X% chance that you will die" for example. The doctor is recommending what is a good decision from a medical point of view. "I recommend that you have an abortion if you want to live."

I don't know that the ad is deceptive. I think it is reckless.

The ad ended up not mentioning anything about the abortion or the medical advice the family was given. It focused almost exclusively on the value of Tebow's life - so I don't think it was reckless. Interestingly, it looks like the makers of the ad were counting on the controversy, since otherwise a viewer would not even know what it's about. I didn't even realize what it was until it was over. So without the complaints from the groups upset about the ad, it is doubtful the ad would have succeeded (if it succeeded).

[ February 07, 2010, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yes, the ad itself was pretty vague. if you go to the link in the ad however...

Well, see what you think.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
I didn't even realize what it was until it was over. [/QB]

Exactly. I was expecting the woman to get tackled or something because there just wasn't any funny going on. We could barely hear what she was saying to have any idea that it was Pam Tebow. What finally clued me in was "Timmy, I'm trying to tell our story." After that, I was expecting it to be the first of a series of spots scattered through the game.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
That was an entirely boring and uncontroversial ad.

Now the gay dating sites know what to do for next year. Just run a spot where a football player tackles some guy and then link to the website where the dudes are making out.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, forget the ad. What a game!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.