FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Life Unexpected

Author Topic: Life Unexpected
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't 100% sure about it when I saw the pilot. It's in the same genre as My So-Called Life, Gilmore Girls, and Everwood. And I think it only caught my eye in the first place because one of the stars is Shiri Appleby. But I just watched the third ep, and it is really good.

Anyone else watching it?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the ubiquitous commercials. Does Cynthia Stevens ever play a different character?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched the first two episodes. I haven't made up my mind yet. I loved Gilmore Girls and Everwood and heard it was similar. So far, it hasn't lived up to those shows for me but I find myself watching the next episode each week.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch it yet but I'm in the camp of "I want to see Shiri Abbleby do something else." I tried watching it on cwtv.com but the player wouldn't work.

Lemme know if it gets genuinely good.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Just the ubiquitous commercials. Does Cynthia Stevens ever play a different character?

Who?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she means Cynthia Stevenson.

And I believe the answer is "no, why should she?" [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yes. That is who I mean. And she is supposed to be an actor.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Actually, she's a character actor. It's a different thing.
rivka
Member # 4859

A very successful character actor, who has made quite a lot of money playing variations on a theme for many years. Some fairly amusing and entertaining variations on that theme, too.

So again, why should she?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Out of sheer boredom?
rivka
Member # 4859

How could anyone that chipper and perky possibly get bored? [Wink]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Goodness knows, I am bored whenever I see her. It isn't even that she is typecast - she is the same character with the same mannerisms and affectations in every role.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. And here I thought this was a thread about being hit in the head by a box of cereal. My bad.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Goodness knows, I am bored whenever I see her. It isn't even that she is typecast - she is the same character with the same mannerisms and affectations in every role.

Right. When they need that kind of character for a show, she's one of the people they call. That's what being a character actor is all about.

And then you have people like Robert Deniro, who is mostly a character actor, but not considered one. Or James Gandolfini, who has always been one. It's just that the last time he was used, it was as a main character of the type he's always played.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

As I said before, there is type casting and there is trotting out the same character over and over again to be "plugged in" to a spot. I prefer when actors actually act.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
She wasn't particularly chipper when she was on Cheers.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.