FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word Puzzle?!

Author Topic: Word Puzzle?!
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have created a type of puzzle, though I'm not completely sure. There are many many answers to this puzzles, ones that I have not thought of. I wonder if anyone will be able to see what I see in these words, and if anyone anywhere can, I believe it would be this group here.

I ask you all, then, to find what these words have in common ( check the 6th post for the answer to this puzzle)

answer
autism
effect
diners
frowns
jumped
trains
string
strong
strain
bellow
signer
mellow
modest
define
theism
greens
colder
cloudy
christ
simple
simply
oblige
inaudible
locations
happen
system
bakery
master
nearly
hungry
inside
crates
attend
bright
bloody
anthro
belief
psycho
around

I will be adding words as quickly as I discover them, and give hints as long as people continue to be dumbfounded (and really, this is a strange, non-conventional type of puzzle that I figure out as a nervous habit every time I hear a word). If you are able to find the connection between these words, instead of saying the answer flat out, try and find a word that fits the rule.

[ May 13, 2010, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
They all have vowels and consonants in common. They're also all in English [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about this as being a problem. I'm sure they all have plenty more things than the specific quality I am thinking of in common with one another. I'm not quite sure how to specify what I want without revealing the answer.

Another word I found: Around.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
If this doesn't take off over here you should try posting it over at Ken-Jennings.com. This sort of thing is really popular over there.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
They're all six letters long.

(except for inaudible)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Actually Lisa, the length of the word is critical to this puzzle. The words must have a length of a multiple of 3 letters in them, not including 0 or 3.
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Here are some more words that I found fit the pattern

cloudy
pragmatic
listen

...though it doesn't look like too many people are trying to figure it out, so I suppose I will let you guys know what the pattern is...

Take the word listen for example: on a qwerty keyboard, the word listen has one letter on the bottom row, two letters on the middle row, and three on the top row. All the words I presented follow this 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 (for the nine charcter words)pattern. I thought I was being clever, but I guess it's just something I do alone. Can anyone think of anymore?

Lisa
Member # 8384

nosily
chores
slicer
masque
chewed (can you reuse a letter?)
madder
twangy
singer
ginger
hunger
finger
damper
slumbered (I had to do at least one 9 letter word)
mullet
bullet
nugget

[ February 16, 2010, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

myriad
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

dreamy
Lisa
Member # 8384

And I challenge anthro, btw.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

lamrot
Dobbie
Member # 3881

weblog
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Exodus
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jumbo, I didn't get the answer, though I did glance at the keyboard to make sure you weren't using all left-hand words or all right-hand words. I also looked to see if you were alternating left hand to right hand back and forth. The different amounts per row though, I didn't see.

It's the kind of thing you'd see in the MIT mystery hunt. It just happened last month.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
lamrot

Seriously?
Dobbie
Member # 3881

"M" is on the bottom row, "l" and "a" are on the second row, and "r", "o" and "t" are on the top row. You can double check my math if you want, but I'm pretty sure that adds up to 1 letter from the bottom row, 2 letters from the middle row, and 3 letters from the top row.
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

define
effect

[ February 16, 2010, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Dobbie
Member # 3881

double
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Coarse
Diabetics

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

I am an anthropology major, and I can't count the amount of times I've used the word anthro for short.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I use anthro all the time as an abbreviation for anthropogenic. However, if we're playing by Scrabble rules, it doesn't qualify as a word.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by JumboWumbo:
Coarse
Diabetics

And consequently Dianetics.

quote:
quote:

I am an anthropology major, and I can't count the amount of times I've used the word anthro for short.
Yeah... but that doesn't make it a word. I was an econ major, and that isn't a word either.

Of course, Anthro is a comic book character, so if you're accepting proper nouns, then we're good.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Can I up the ante with this one:

imaginations

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
"Antagonistic".
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Nice.

plasticizing
elasticizing

JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

quote:

madder

That's 1-3-2, not 1-2-3
Dobbie
Member # 3881

How about mudder?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

madder

That's 1-3-2, not 1-2-3
Oops. My bad.
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Here's a 3-2-1 style word, that are much harder to find in my opinion, considering there are no vowels down there.

Chance

Any others?

Lisa
Member # 8384

Vacant
Batman
Camber
Mantic

Dobbie
Member # 3881

nazism
na'vism

JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

You guys are way too hard to stump. I just want to stump someone!!!
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Quickness
Terminals

Dobbie
Member # 3881

If you really want to stump someone, try 3-1-2. I can't find any for that.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Except boxing.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

And vixens.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

bazinga (3-2-1)
covens (3-1-2)
chance (3-2-1)
minxes (3-1-2)

[ February 21, 2010, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Dobbie ]

Dobbie
Member # 3881

cozens (3-1-2)
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Transmission
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
If you really want to stump someone, try 3-1-2. I can't find any for that.

How about:

column

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
cozens
minces
minced
camber
brazen
cavern
vixens
minxes
barmen
beckon
coming
cloven
chintz
column
numbly
numbed
combed
combat
zincky
zinced
venoms
cosmin
bemoan
iceman
anomic
anoxic
encamp
socmen
macron
exacum
vicuna
mantic
anemic
busmen
manioc
benzol
benzyl
chemin
cymbae
brunch
boxcar
nimble
nimbly
nimbus
boxing
movant
gnomic
craven
kincob
carbon
moving
vomica
blintz
buncos
bunchy
cubism
cubing
vexing
culmen
beacon
bonzes
bodmin
bowman
cowman
amebic
munich
batmen
crumbs
bonism
acumen
axenic
bezant
chevon
cnemis
munchy
coving
covens
cinema
cumins

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

I think Mucus wins. Idk why, just whenever I hear a word, I see if it fits this pattern. One more nine letter word I have found

Resembled

[ March 07, 2010, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

I still look for 100 point words, every once in a while.

When I was in 5th grade, we had a contest in school to find 100 point words. You know, A=1, B=2...Z=26. So for example, "elephants" is a 100 pointer.

My brother has had his genius son looking for them for the past 3 years (my nephew is 8).

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Transcendentalized
(Transcendentalizes)

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Found my first 12 letter word that fits

Synthesizing

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.