FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just your average food thead

Author Topic: Just your average food thead
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone [Big Grin] I like food. It's good and stuff. It like can make you feel good to enjoy eating it. Baking cookies with friends is one of the most fun things for me to do on a Sunday.
I figured *with no pressure at all from other Jatraqueros [Confused] * That we should have our very own food thread. (since as far as I could tell l there were none on the first page) I'm not too good with recipes, but feel free to post them here anyway. Over the past few years I have 2 very specific favorite foods.
Sushi and Cheesecake. [Hail]
What about food do you like? [Monkeys]

(also, don't talk about resipes for eating me! [No No] I want to live)

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me you don't eat the sushi and the cheesecake together.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

ewwwwww not even on the same day!

... well sometimes on the same day but thats it [Embarrassed]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In that case, I'm with you. Both are yummy.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making a pork roast tomorrow. (Well, today...since it's 12:19 a.m., here.)

The roast is a little over 3 lbs, so I anticipate leftovers for about a week. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently discovered a recipe for almond paste. It's really easy. Now I have to make things with almond paste.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want sushi.
I keep making lasagna with vodka sauce. I've made it 3 times. It's fantastic.
I also can't wait until March because I will buy a lot of corned beef briskets, including grey corned beef and cook them in my crock pot. I love a good point cut brisket with nice fat marbling.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered yesterday that I love Manchego cheese. I also discovered today that I like it vastly better at room temperature than I do refrigerated.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Hey Syn I love pasta with vodka sauce, but i've never had it with lasagna. Thanks for the cool idea. i'll have to make that soon.
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I am baking my first turkey breast today, nothing special about it though
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
Hey Syn I love pasta with vodka sauce, but i've never had it with lasagna. Thanks for the cool idea. i'll have to make that soon.

Oh, yes, it's fantastic. I am now addicted to vodka sauce because my friend bought me a Jar for Xmas and it's so good. That Emeril stuff

I want to learn to make clam chowder.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I want to learn to make clam chowder. [/QB]

It's fun to wing it and hard to mess up. Here's how I do it:

1) Brown a chopped onion in butter. (Optional: add celery, fennel, shallots, leeks. I really like using at two or three aromatics. I really enjoy the effect if the onion is caramelized but the other aromatics are just softened, so I add them after the onion is done.)

2) Add chicken stock and milk (or use cream instead of milk for a richer/thicker chowder). Scrape up the brown stuff from the aromatics and butter.

3) Add diced potatoes and the contents of one or more cans of chopped clams. Cook together until potatoes are soft. (I've found that red potatoes work really nicely.) (If I was using fresh clams I'd add them in the last couple of minutes to avoid toughening them.)

Season with pepper, salt.

Optional: allspice or nutmeg (sparingly). Cayenne or white pepper.

Garnish with chives or scallions or parsley.

Interesting variations:
- Add a slice or two of chopped bacon to the butter and onions.

- Add a teaspoon or two of ketchup or tomato paste before the liquids, allow it to reduce and get kind of brown (it'll be a sticky mess but the liquids will re-dissolve it fine). This makes the chowder kind of orange but it's surprisingly tasty.

- Add a can of corn (or roast the corn under the broiler and then add it).

Except for the final seasonings which you can add gradually to taste, this soup is forgiving enough that you don't really need to measure anything. I'd say at least twice as much potato as onion, and enough liquid to cover.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Hmm. That sounds rather good. I also want to make mild wimpy curry with tomatoes and jasmine rice.
But I need onions and garlic and turmeric. Grrr. I can't have stuff that's too spicy because my stomach will scream.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean "wimpy" as in the sandwich, or are you saying that mild curry is for wimps who can't handle spicier foods?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Hmm. That sounds rather good. I also want to make mild wimpy curry with tomatoes and jasmine rice.
But I need onions and garlic and turmeric. Grrr. I can't have stuff that's too spicy because my stomach will scream.

Ever have indian butter chicken? It's absolutely gorgeous and very mild.

Sushi- oh, yes. I mostly make fairly unadventurous sushi these days because I don't live near a reliable fish market anymore, but I make various combinations of cucumber, avocado, smoked salmon, cream chese, and egg with some frequency.

Cheesecake is a bit off the menu these days because my wife is trying a non-dairy diet for a while. But she does make a fairly nice faux cheesecake with tofutti, pineapple, and macadamia nuts.

Tuesday I'm making dinner for friends- red thai chicken curry, jasmine rice, corn fritters, pad thai, mango coconut sticky rice. I just found a terrific asian market not far from me, so hooray for that.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Do you mean "wimpy" as in the sandwich, or are you saying that mild curry is for wimps who can't handle spicier foods?

Wimpy as in I can't handle spicy food because I'll be in PAIN in my gut because of IBS. Plus I DON'T like spicy food.
it makes my my mouth yell.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
But she does make a fairly nice faux cheesecake with tofutti, pineapple, and macadamia nuts.

I'm going to need that recipe, please.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
chile rellenos:

roast a green poblano pepper or (preferably) a long, mild green chile until the skin starts popping, stuff it full of cream cheese and pepper jack, cover it with egg batter and masa corn flour and fry the completed assembly until the outside is crisp and the cheese is molten, then smother with roasted chile verde sauce.

http://tastetheseasons.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/chile_rellenos.jpg

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe ya'll could give me some suggestions for crab and shrimp stock. We had crab legs and shrimp for valentine's day dinner, then I threw all the shells back in the water and boiled for awhile.

Now I've got this great stock, but besides making some tasty rice, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Stir fry! The steaming stage benefits greatly from a good stock.

Note that stir frying doesn't necessarily require making a stir fry. For instance, boil some brussel sprouts a few minutes, then fry them up in a little oil/butter/fat at a high temperature, and after they change color, pour in a little stock, then stir until the stock is absorbed. Very tasty.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I only have olive oil. can that be used for Indian food?
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
But she does make a fairly nice faux cheesecake with tofutti, pineapple, and macadamia nuts.

I'll see what I can do. I think it has bananas as well- hope that's not a deal-breaker.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
chile rellenos:

Thank you so much. I love these, and haven't really had them since I left Tucson. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

I'll see what I can do. I think it has bananas as well- hope that's not a deal-breaker.
Unlikely to be.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a great molasses cookie recipe. It approximates the Archway molasses cookies I loved that are no longer made.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.